• 2(current)
Android KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2016) based on Android TV
HD Sound is not possible via ARC / optical in any system
Hi.

Two months ago when I started using kodi on Sony Android the version was 16.0. Anyone knows if is available the latest version?
Thanks
(2016-08-31, 01:32)aelaramou Wrote: Hi.

Two months ago when I started using kodi on Sony Android the version was 16.0. Anyone knows if is available the latest version?
Thanks

Latest version is 16.1, load it from the play store and it will update automatically as long as the Sony TV is compatible.

Kodi 16.1 was released on 24th April 2016, so not sure why you have been using 16.0?
(2016-08-31, 08:03)Jeffers24 Wrote:
(2016-08-31, 01:32)aelaramou Wrote: Hi.

Thanks

Latest version is 16.1, load it from the play store and it will update automatically as long as the Sony TV is compatible.

Kodi 16.1 was released on 24th April 2016, so not sure why you have been using 16.0?

Thanks
Hi,

Just got a 2016 Sony x930d series and got 2 problems with official stable Kodi Jarvis 16.1 downloaded from the play store.

1. Kodi always plays in 1080p, regardless of 4k files, it still downscales to 1080. Cannot find any way around it.
2. Passthrough via ARC is not work working for standard DTS or Dolby Digital, only PCM.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
You'll find a lot more info in 2015 models thread. They use the same SoC and share the same issues.
(2016-09-24, 10:07)kinggo Wrote: You'll find a lot more info in 2015 models thread. They use the same SoC and share the same issues.

What is a SoC and can it be updated?
System on a Chip. And no, it can't. It is a piece of hardware.
(2016-09-24, 11:33)kinggo Wrote: System on a Chip. And no, it can't. It is a piece of hardware.

Thanks for clarifying that.

It seems a very critical component part of a system that once purchased you have to live with, but I never see it referenced/commented in hardware specifications or reviews.

Is omitting specific comments on the SoC included in a particular system an oversight?

I may have totally misunderstood the postings, but my perception is that the SoC used by Sony is causing users some problems.
well, yes and no. SONY and mediatek maintain their part and android TV even with version 5 is now much better than it was last year when they entered the market. So from that point of view SoC is not an issue. Sure, SW is far from bug free but still it does what it should do.
On the other hand, KODI is third party program and as such is not neither SONYs or MTKs responsibility. The problem is that MTK is notoriously known as very lousy when it comes to supporting development so it is very difficult or impossible to overcome some things.
KODI has a lot of issues with passthrough and in default player everything just works. So, there is a way to make it work and it's not a SoC problem but without source code that MTK (or SONY) does not provide it is very difficult or impossible to overcome that.
You reference version 5 is now much better, how can I find out what version I have in my TV, having just bought it?
press home then scroll to the bottom, then press ? and you'll find all relevant info about TV there. But regardless of your SW version we are still on android 5. It's just that my w755 is much better with latest 3.something than it was a year ago.
Hi,

I just bought a sony 49xd7005 ( i guess is the entry level model) and had a very unpleasant surprise : the LAN only supports 100Mb/s , which in 2016 is mind blowing. I was 100% sure that it supports 1Gb/s, so I did not bother to search this before purchasing ( also the specs on the sony official site do not say a word about this -> shame on you sony!! ).
The problem is that, when trying to stream a 4K movie from a local NAS, the 100Mb/s LAN is not enough ( and the botleneck is the lan speed and not the cpu on the tv or the nas, I've checked that).
Did you guys had the same issue ? Also, did you found some alternatives ?
I for one, tried the wi-fi 802.11n in the 5GHz band, but with no visible improvements.

Thanks
(2016-11-22, 10:48)yuehan Wrote: The problem is that, when trying to stream a 4K movie from a local NAS, the 100Mb/s LAN is not enough ( and the botleneck is the lan speed and not the cpu on the tv or the nas, I've checked that).

Are you sure, it is not enough?
Highest bitrate HEVC encoding I have seen, does not exceed 60Mbit/s...Huh
Video 
(2016-11-22, 17:00)Etzi Wrote:
(2016-11-22, 10:48)yuehan Wrote: The problem is that, when trying to stream a 4K movie from a local NAS, the 100Mb/s LAN is not enough ( and the botleneck is the lan speed and not the cpu on the tv or the nas, I've checked that).

Are you sure, it is not enough?
Highest bitrate HEVC encoding I have seen, does not exceed 60Mbit/s...Huh

Hi,

I have a video file that reaches, when played from my PC, a bitrate of over 200Mbits/s ( checked with VLC player in Statistics-> Input Bitrate). File size is 116 GBytes.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2016) based on Android TV0