• 2(current)
OS X [Mac Mini] [v17 Nightly] Choppy Video Playback
(2016-08-13, 23:48)Memphiz Wrote: That log looks not to bad. I think its not the decoding that is an issue here but the rendering vcref buffers that come out of VTB. But thats only a guess (as we had alot of workaround for that in former VDA implementations).

Well usually ffmpeg developers don't care about reading in the Kodi forum. I don't even know who that developer is (sounded like you think i know him - well i don't...).

Thanks for looking ! Very cryptic answers Memphiz. Ill follow this forum section, let me know if i can help and test another nightly build for you or the ffmpeg developer(s)
How to post a debug log ; MacOS acces the hidden userdata folder ; How to post a question ; How to fix gatekeeper issues
Mid 2011 MacBook Air here with exactly the same issue. Choppy playback, but with the overlay up, it's smooth.
If it helps, here is a video of what it looks like with VTB on. In that video, you can see that any overlay 'fixes' the problem, but I suspect that's just because it's switching to the software renderer whenever an overlay is present.

Also note the diagonal line/tear from upper-right to bottom-left. I don't know if it's significant, but I figured I'd mention it in case it's difficult to see in the video.

Here is a video with VTB turned off. As you can see, it looks fine. But, on my Mac mini, it still stutters simply because it can't keep up when using the software renderer.
This has significantly improved on the last nightly (0911 build). The frames are displaying in the correct order now, but there's still a small (about 300px or so vertically, maybe 3 or 400px horizontally) triangular 'glitch' in the upper-right corner. It corresponded with the diagonal line seen down the frames in the videos I posted, but now it truncates about a third of the way down.
Can you post a photo?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
It's not constant, so it might be hard to get a still photo of. I can get more video if you want, but it's basically the upper portion of the diagonal split you see in my earlier video.
Well, nevermind.. I went to get a photo for you when I got home, and it was jittery again. I'm guessing it's something that happens at initialization and I can sometimes get lucky.
Can I help at all? I'm not current on the code base, but I am versed enough to provide whatever you need. If there is a more appropriate place to discuss it just let me know.
Still happening with 20160921-b4db09c. Here is the debug log.
Is Kodi just going to release with this? Are we waiting on an ffmpeg update? Or... what?

I've been futzing about with it and the only thing I can find that alters the behavior even a bit is in CRenderManager::Render.

With an overlay on the screen, it's perfect. CPU usage suggests it's still hardware accelerated too.

If someone wants to give me a crash-course on where I should look, I'd be happy to help find the problem.
In the worst case we have to release with this - yes.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
I tested again on my Mac mini 2011 INTEL HD3000 16GB RAM with Mac OS 10.12

#1 test Kodi 17 beta
tested fullscreen
VTB ON
stuttering image with a blinking screen and a diagonal across the screen. Not watchable
http://pastebin.com/Gs2Tccdm

#2 test Kodi 17 beta
tested fullscreen
VTB OFF
Normal screen.
CPU 40-50% beacons hardware acceleration is off
http://pastebin.com/prB2Lvg0

#test 3 Kodi kodi-20160927-f75cc2c-master-x86_64
tested fullscreen
VTB ON
stuttering image with a blinking screen and a diagonal across the screen. Not watchable (same as beta)
http://pastebin.com/gxEsJeCV

#test 4 Kodi kodi-20160927-f75cc2c-master-x86_64
tested fullscreen
VTB OFF
Normal screen.
CPU 40-50% beacons hardware acceleration is off
http://pastebin.com/xB75W5Dq

So no improvements over the builds i tested. Though i tested some test build which where doing fine in this post http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=283738&page=2
i assume these changes did not stick. So what can be done about it ?
How to post a debug log ; MacOS acces the hidden userdata folder ; How to post a question ; How to fix gatekeeper issues
Well i can't help it atm ... Sadly there is nearly zero contribution from outside developers when it comes to those sort of bugs/problems. And in this case - apple has a play in this too by having a broken fullscreen mode with some gpus since osx 10.10
I can try to help, but would appreciate if I could get some insight into what's already known about the issue. Is the broken fullscreen mode the culprit? If so, what specifically is broken about it?
(2016-09-28, 21:16)Memphiz Wrote: Well i can't help it atm ... Sadly there is nearly zero contribution from outside developers when it comes to those sort of bugs/problems. And in this case - apple has a play in this too by having a broken fullscreen mode with some gpus since osx 10.10

1. MACOS / OSX isnt that kind of an alien platform is it ? Is there so little interest ?
2. your test builds, which i tested, where fine on my system. Shouldn't those modifications stay on board ? or are those to much patching ?
3. very subjective question : the mac mini 2011 with HD3000 and mac mini 2012 HD4000 are used by me and my friends as a kodi HTPC. Could you focus on these two ? Are there users wich agree with this point ?
4. Worst case with kodi 17 is the VDA off, and about 40% CPU load instead of 15% is that really such a big problem ?

I can test and produce logs for you and Jingai, thats all i am afraid, i have no coding skills
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Mac Mini] [v17 Nightly] Choppy Video Playback1