Linux [Openelec] Kodi can't see files on NAS [NFS/SMB] after changing the router
Hi guys,

it's my first post so hi all!

I'm having a problem with my two Kodis: OpenElec and Raspberry Pi. After changing the router on my network to ASUS RT-N66U my KODI stopped seeing the files on the NAS. I am able to access the local IP, then I can see shared folders but cannot "enter" them.

The same is working on a Windows PC - here I can access all my files.

Hence my suspicion that something that is Linux related is not accepted by my router.

Any ideas guys? Many thanks in advance!
Welcome to the forums.

(2016-07-05, 09:35)miszkowiec Wrote: I am able to access the local IP, then I can see shared folders but cannot "enter" them.

... suggests to me that it's an access issue rather than a routing one. If you can see the shares then that suggests that IP addresses and netmasks are okay - and the fact that your Windows machine works as well... it's possible that you've got something wrong with static/dynamic address configurations, but that's not what I'd look for.

Check how the directories are shared - access rights, username/password.

I assume you're browsing and not using a pre-populated library (your comment on being able to see the IP address and shared folders). If you are using the library, it's quite likely that an IP address has changed with arrival of the new router.

In Kodi, there's a difference between browsing to the shares over SMB (which is what your Windows machine will be using) and NFS (which is what Linux prefers): Kodi supports both, so see if you get different results if you try the other protocol.

Otherwise, a debug_log (wiki) would be helpful to see what's going on. Switch debug logging on through Kodi, and then try to access the shares as normal. The debug log will be in /storage/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log, accessible over SMB in the logfiles share - pastebin/xbmclogs it and post the link back here.
Thanks for the quick reply. I will post the logs later as I'm now away from home.

The IP addresses did not change - the NAS has still the same IP (router -> switch -> NAS/KODI machines). When I attempt to add a new source in Kodi I do not see the SMB share (DiskStation), however using NFS I can browse to 192.168.1.224, then I can see the shared folders, but cannot enter then - when I click then Kodi seems to be "processing" for a while then remains in the same folder. When I attempt to open an existing source (pointing to the NAS) it's telling me it cannot establish a connection with the server.

When I attempt to run any movie from the library Kodi tells me that the movie is no longer available and asks me if I want to remove it.

As I mentioned - the Windows machine is still able to open all movies. The only change that occurred in last days was the replacement of the router. I can also access the NAS on the local network using Synology software on my Android. The only machines that cannot connect anymore are Linux-based OpenElec and RasPi3.
Windows will be using SMB; Android at an OS level will also be using SMB/CIFS as NFS needs additional modules; OpenElec will be using NFS, as you say. That's the problem (somehow).

I can't immediately explain why your OE box can't see the SMB share... I can't think of a reason why the router would block it to one client, so, unless it's a Synology issue, then I'm blank. However, your Synology will have different access control rules for SMB and NFS, and that's where I suspect the OE box is falling over.

Logical conclusions to me:

1. Change the access rules for NFS (e.g. anonymous access) so the OE box can access it (server issue), or

2. Find out why the OE box can't see the SMB shares (client issue most likely)

You could dig into the command line to diagnose (2), see if you can mount the remote share that way. If you can, you could permanently mount them through the OS and then access the files as if they were local, although that's a complete kludge of a workaround.

From what I remember of Windows networking, you could also be suffering from version problems (authentication changed somewhere around Win7) that are working in favour of the Windows box but not the Linux one. Also, a quick Google suggests that making the Synology your SMB master browser might solve the issue... whether that could possibly be linked to a config change on your router, though, makes me pause.

EDIT

Could it possibly be a DNS issue on the router that Linux doesn't like?

Could it be something cached on the Synology box - SMB credentials that are no longer valid?

</end wild guessing>
Hi,

Issue is resolved - I bought another router, no more ASUS! Kodi is working like a dream again Smile
This thread can be closed now.

thank you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Openelec] Kodi can't see files on NAS [NFS/SMB] after changing the router0