Chromecast Audio Support
Hi,

I'm having trouble finding a way to cast my Kodi's sound (most importantly when playing a video) to a Google Chromecast Audio device that I recently purchased.

Cast the whole android device's audio makes my router crash for some weird reason, so I would like to know if there is some way to cast the sound to the device through Kodi itself. Casting does work with other apps.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Rosti
Because Kodi has no Chromecast code, you have to use the OS-level mirroring. If that is crashing your router, there isn't really anything Kodi can do to change that.
I see... Thanks for the reply!

Are there any plans to make it possible some day, or is it not something that is going to happen?
Hi,

This post is considering an Android OS, but may be relevant to all.

So I bought a brand new Google Chromecast Audio device, only to find out that:

1. It crashes my router when trying to cast os-level sound (and with the devices it doesn't, it has a bluetooth-like delay), but that has nothing to do with Kodi Smile

2. Kodi has no support for streaming audio to Chromecast by itself!

I was imagining a setting in the audio options during playback, something as "Stream sound to", where after a click you can pick a device to cast your sound to, like many different apps have.

I would be very glad to see a feature like this in the future, because streaming my device's sound through Bluetooth kinda sucks...

Thanks and have a great day!
Rosti
Ask google to open their APIs so that kodi devs could do that.

PS merged your threads as they basically cover the same ground.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-07-07, 07:59)Rosti Wrote: I was imagining a setting in the audio options during playback, something as "Stream sound to", where after a click you can pick a device to cast your sound to, like many different apps have.

I would be very glad to see a feature like this in the future, because streaming my device's sound through Bluetooth kinda sucks...
+1 and I agree, Chromecast Audio is awesome, both because it is WiFi based and because it supports syncronized mult-room

I have posted this here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=240907

Damn but have to say that the now supported multi-room music syncronization feature with Chromecast Audio "casting" is awesome!

Any chance you could get get Kodi to send its music playback output to Chromecast Audio cast recievers on the network?

I see that there is a guy who posted a library for Python to communicate with Chromecast.

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/PyChromecast

http://github.com/balloob/pychromecast

pychromecast - Library for Python 2 and 3 to communicate with the Google Chromecast. It currently supports:
  • Auto discovering connected Chromecasts on the network
  • Start the default media receiver and play any online media
  • Control playback of current playing media
  • Implement Google Chromecast api v2
  • Communicate with apps via channels
  • Easily extendable to add support for unsupported namespaces
  • Multi-room setups with Audio cast devices
Not sure if anyone on the Kodi team have got a few Chromecast Audio yet but I stongly recommend it.

I have bought dongles so far and have them connected to active (computer) speakers around the house.

Chromecast Audio dongles have brought the possibility for simple and cheap multiroom music playback to the masses.
Well actually multiroom synchronized was done ages ago by squeezeboxes, which have open apis. Multiroom is awesome.

Interesting python library you point to. It would be very popular to get that integrated to kodi.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-07-08, 13:20)nickr Wrote: Interesting python library you point to. It would be very popular to get that integrated to kodi.
Yes, I agree and hope so too. It would be excellent if Kodi had integrated support to "cast" (output) music playback to Chromecast Audio (multi-room) groups.

Posted a specific request here now: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=282074

Perhaps it also could be implemented in a similar way to how AitPlay is implmented into Kodi today for receieving Chromecast Audio, but I'm more interesting in Kodi transmitting audio to Chromecast Audio than receieving.

(2016-07-08, 13:20)nickr Wrote: Well actually multiroom synchronized was done ages ago by squeezeboxes, which have open apis.
True, but none other have ever made it as cheaply (or as easy) as with the Chromecast Audio dongles. Sonos has also made multi-room audio products for a long time BUT THOSE ARE SO VERY EXPENSIVE!

When I first went out and bought two Chromecast Audio I had them installed and setup for multi-room within 15-minutes from when I came home (over my home WiFi from Spoify on my iPhone).

Google has truly made an excellent product with Chromecast Audio, I was suprised how simle it was to install on my WiFi and setup the multi-room groups.

Google have since announced that their "Cast" technology/protocol will come integrated into many speakers beginning this fall, see:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/6/1072307...s-ces-2016
Yes, I have invested quite a lot in squeezeboxes. If I was starting again those chromecast audio would be near the top of the list. Being built in to speakers (and avrs) would be great.
It appears this has been a dead topic for a while. I just came across MKChromecast, which appears to be Python script for casting that also supports multi-room group casting. I wonder if this can form the basis of a KODI feature for casting audio (or video)? I'd love to have Chromecast Audio support, and from what I understand there should be no DRM issues as their can be with video.

http://mkchromecast.com/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Chromecast Audio Support0