Question Re: Creating my own PVR Addon
Hi everyone.
I know there's a IPTV PVR addon out already, but the IPTV solution I use requires authentication etc to allow streaming. It also has a catchup service, which I'd like to integrate into the EPG also.

So I decided to create my own add-on. I've got some python knowledge, but no C++. So creating my own addon using cmake is out of the question currently.
My question is, since the KODI PVR/EPG layout has already been coded in xml. Could I use that pre-existing layout and just create my add-on using that? If so how would I achieve this?

Ideally, I'd like to import the xml layout's into my python addon and code the logic behind that in python, which would give me all the functionality I need, with the pre-existing PVR/EPG
Someone would first need to write some C++ code 'suff' in Kodi in order to extend APIs inside Kodi that can be used from a Python script in Kodi.

Maybe check if you or anyone from Team Kodi can reach zcsizmadia as he wrote that he had been working on a Python based PVR addon and some of the C++ code 'suff' needed in Kodi, see:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=263952

zcsizmadia (Zoltan Csizmadia) is on GitHub but looks like no recent public activity, checkout: https://github.com/zcsizmadia

Having someone extending Kodi's PVR API so that it can also support Python scripts as PVR client addons is something many are be interested in.
Yeah I'll look in to that and see if it's a possibility! That'd be the easiest and more streamlined approach.
Currently the decision is to take FTV Guide and modify it to my needs. Since that's an addon written in Python, I feel more comfortable.
While you may be able to create different views and windows for your add-on, and reference those XML files from Python, they won't be able to properly use the <epggrid> controls and similar, because those are tied in to Kodi's PVR subsystem and presently the only way to integrate with the PVR system is with a binary add-on because the functions are not exposed to Python.

The best way to tackle something like that would be to look at the source for the add-on you wish to base your implementation on. In your case, review the full source of pvr.iptvsimple, including the referenced functions from the Kodi source. Only by seeing how everything works between the components will it make sense.
Yeah this seems like it's going to be the best approach. I'll start looking up some c++ tutorials on basic constructs etc... and make notes on the iptv simple source to see what it all does. Seems like this will be the easiest in terms of maintaining it as well.
Sorry for the double post... I've decided to bite the bullet and go down the c++ route for my PVR/EPG addon. Is there an actual API Doc on the PVR API? Or do I need to rely on other examples, such as simple iptv and stalker iptv to see how they work?

Also, is there a way to determine the actual program clicked by the user? Not just the channel info? I'm wanting to the IPTV playlist I use has a catch-up service and I'd love to integrate catchup and live tv in the same EPG. So if you click a program that's already been aired it fetches a different url to the live stream url.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Question Re: Creating my own PVR Addon0