v17 Low FPS and choppy playback when using 24/25/30Hz refresh rate
I am using the same hardware as manhas with 10.11 and Kodi 17.0 stable release.
I have not altered the GFX drivers from those preinstalled with OSX, however i now get the same issue with choppy playback.

I have turned off hardware decoding and the video is smooth but the CPU usage high, especially with the higher quality videos.

I have 5 Macs with Kodi installs so will be testing on them all one by one.
would be great to get a full solution to the hardware decoding issue.
I have the same hardware as the first poster on this thread, but running macOS 10.12 and upgraded to Kodi 17.0. When playing videos, I had serve lag between the video and audio (got up to 2 to 3 seconds after about 30 secs of video). When I turned off the hardware acceleration (VTBDecoder), I got good playback of videos and no lag.

I did not have this problem under Kodi 16.1.

The hardware acceleration does not accelerate, but slows playback Smile

Alex
(2017-02-05, 14:15)originalwayster Wrote: I am using the same hardware as manhas with 10.11 and Kodi 17.0 stable release.
I have not altered the GFX drivers from those preinstalled with OSX, however i now get the same issue with choppy playback.

I have turned off hardware decoding and the video is smooth but the CPU usage high, especially with the higher quality videos.

I have 5 Macs with Kodi installs so will be testing on them all one by one.
would be great to get a full solution to the hardware decoding issue.

Ditto + Screen tearing when acceleration turned off.
Just installed 17 last night on a Linux machine. It is completely unusable. Very disappointed
I have the same issue on my Mac mini 2010 running 10.11.6 running nvidia video web drivers.
First file played with hardware acceleration off and playing ok but with CPU at or near 100%. Next two files played with hardware acceleration on with CPU showing approx 9%. Video stutters badly and is slo mo and not usable.
I remember going through this with early betas of plex media player where they ended up having to have two types of hardware acceleration, one for newer hardware and one for older hardware.
I have a 2015 macbook pro as well with kodi v17 and that one is working perfectly.
Also having this issue on Mac Mini 2010, 2.4Ghz, 16GB, El Capitan. No playback issues w/ 16 at all. Going to try the nightly and see if there is a difference.
I can confirm the same problem.
Hardware:
Mac Mini - Mid 2010 - 2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB - 8GB RAM
Choppy playback with hardware acceleration on, it doesn't matter if I change any other settings like sync to display, while hardware acceleration is on the playback becomes like slow motion.
Hardware acceleration is sort of working because cpu is low.

Turn off hardware acceleration and all video becomes smooth but cpu is constantly in the 90"s and sometimes over 100%

sorry no logs but just to confirm the same problem is out there
It seems it's this older hardware that is having issues. Even plex media player had to use two different settings. One for old, one for newer hardware on Mac.
I was presented the same video behaviour after upgrading from 16.x to the new v17, Krypton stable release.
I can't play 1080p material. I haven't tried other resolutions.

My Hardware:
Mac Mini - Mid 2010 - 2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 8GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

Hardware acceleration is on.
Same issue here...

HW accell break playback...sw is smooth depending on source, hw accellerated extremely low fps and choppy...

Hardware:
Mac Mini Server - Mid 2010 - 2,66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 2x500GB 7200rpm drives in Raid0 - 4GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

Hardware acceleration is on.

Any newsHuh??
This subject has been covered many times here. It's old hardware and apparently ffmpeg' latest version, which is used in 17, no longer supports the older hardware we have. Choices are: disable hardware decoding or revert back to 16.1.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Low FPS and choppy playback when using 24/25/30Hz refresh rate0