Alternative to Picard / MBZ
The issues with Picard / MBZ appear to take longer than anticipated. I was wondering whether there is an equivalent to Picard to tag using discogs? I really love the Picard / MBZ combo, but may need to look for alternative and curious whether anyone has tried?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
For tag editing I use mp3tag, also capable via scripts of looking up music data including the Musicbrainz database (if it is accessible). But AFAIK nothing does quite what Picard does. The issues with the Musicbrainz server are frustrating, and impact using Picard even more than they do Kodi scraping of album and artist metadata.

All I can suggest is that you rise again the issues you are having with Picard on their user forum. And patience, they are opensource like Kodi and rely on volunteers.
There was a feature for Picard to retry the API multiple times on their development version, that should fix any errors.
Thanks for pointing to the work-around.

My concern is somewhat broader than being a few weeks or even months without Picard. I am somewhat worried about the future of MBZ. I really like MBZ clearly the most among the music metedata providers and have been an active contributor. However, discogs appears to be gaining in relevance and appears to have a more active user base. I still clearly favor MBZ and Picard is probably the single most important reason for this.

Somewhat reminds me at the last days of IMDB (before amazon took it over to "save" it and then closed the open API). And TVDB also appears to be having similar issues to MBZ. Maybe, there is just room for one opensource metadata database?

Hope my early worries are wrong? Anyone close to the MBZ developers and have a sense whether the model is sustainable.
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
If interested in discogs you might have a look at the free version of MediaMonkey. There is an add-on script for discogs. I don't have any experience with discogs but it might be worth playing with it.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
(2016-07-15, 23:08)scott967 Wrote: If interested in discogs you might have a look at the free version of MediaMonkey. There is an add-on script for discogs. I don't have any experience with discogs but it might be worth playing with it.

scott s.

The discogs tagger for media monkey is excellent
I cannot compare as i have only used it to tag my files but as a mediamonkey user i have found it very complete and easy to use
You can do this - and not rely on their public server https://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_...e/Download
I've been using Tagscanner for about 3 years and that works well for tagging (doesn't do MusiBrainzID). That also has nice features to rename files based on tag info, Discogs lookup etc.

I also use Foobar2000 for converting high res formats to FLAC (and for tagging via Discogs) that works quite well (No MusicBrainzID)

I've recently started using MediaElch to create Artist.nfo files that include MusicBrainzIDs required by some Kodi functionality. MediaElch also grabs some artist extrafanart and disc images from TheAudioDb.

MediaElch also creates nfo for Movies and TV shows but I've only used it for Music.
I use a combination of Picard and then Foobar2K discogs scanner to tag albums. FB2K makes it easy to automate my workflow by also renaming/moving based on tags after scanning.

1 Scan with picard.
2 Scan with FB2K discogs scanner
3 FB2K renames and moves files to destination directory that is scanned by Kodi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Alternative to Picard / MBZ0