• 7(current)
Linux HOW TO: Minimal Ubuntu 16.04 with Kodi, Steam & EmulationStation
(2017-04-05, 17:38)blayderunner Wrote: I'm having issues with EmulationStation not wanting to launch any games...

I've got the system set up exactly to your instructions, and EmulationStation installs great and launches, but when I select a rom to launch, ES disappears for a second, I see kodi for a second, and then I'm back to ES like nothing happened.

I've checked ES logs, as well as the runcommand logs, and everything seems to be working fine.

I tried adding the fix gammelobst mentioned in this thread, adding the "terminal" to the launch, but to no avail....a terminal just pops up then I'm back to kodi.

Is anybody able to shine a light on my issue?

Emulationstation and emus from repo or self compiled Retropie x86?

cya
self-compiled Retropie X86
(2017-04-04, 22:19)Harald654 Wrote: thanks for your answer,

I have now simply created a new group, which has access to the hard drive and added the Kod-iuser to this group. So everything fits now Wink

BTW: Do you still use lutris? I found a kodi-repo for lutris on github and consider it to give it a try.

That is the add-on I’m using to launch Lutris in Kodi. I have also added the Lutris PPA to my system to have the most recent version. There is a lot of work going into Lutris nowdays.
Fantastic guide thank you! I've had some time to play around so I followed your guide it's an excellent base for a steam htpc. Totally blown away with lutris as well, thanks!
To anybody that was having issues with multiple Kodi instances popping up when trying to launch a program, I've added a fix in the latest release of kodi-openbox that should solve the issue, but please don't hesitate to open up a github issue if you find it still happening.
(2017-04-27, 17:04)lufinkey Wrote: To anybody that was having issues with multiple Kodi instances popping up when trying to launch a program, I've added a fix in the latest release of kodi-openbox that should solve the issue, but please don't hesitate to open up a github issue if you find it still happening.

Nice too see you in this thread, lufinkey. I, and probably many others, greatly appreciate the work you have done.
(2016-07-19, 12:41)solbero Wrote: Introduction

This HOW TO will explain how I set up my HTPC running Kodi,
If anything seems unclear in this guide, if any commands are wrong, or if you have any advice on how any of the steps can be done better, please don’t hesitate to make a reply.

thanks for the guide. I followed it but forgot to test the Kodi front end, and it has no sound. I've read the wiki on the audio group and I've even tried adding my user to the audio group but either way still no sound, any ideas please?
Lounge rig: nVidia Shield - Official Kodi
Bedroom rig: Amazon Fire TV - Kodi 17.3
Backend: HP Microserver, Ubuntu, JBOD
@cable_guy: This could be a number of issues. It could be hardware related, such as AMD graphics cards running on the open driver doesn’t output sound over HDMI. It could also be a configuration issue in software. I would suggest that you open a new thread for this issue, as that might get a bit more attention.
Hello,

first of all, thanks for this tutorial.

I followed it but when I want to save the lightdm.conf, it asks me:

"save modified buffer (ANSWERING "No" WILL DESTROY CHANGES) ?"

so I type y, and then it says:

"File Name to Write: /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf"

Then I press enter and the i get the message

"Error writing /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf: No such file or directory"

So this prevents me from finishing your guide.

Can you help me with this?

EDIT- never mind, worked it out.
(2016-07-19, 12:41)solbero Wrote: snip

Hi, ever since I upgraded and dist-upgraded two days ago, occasionally (often) my Ubuntu set up as per your guide greets me with a login screen instead of staying on / auto logging into Kodi. Any ideas how I can fix please?

/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf still has the values set as per your guide.
Lounge rig: nVidia Shield - Official Kodi
Bedroom rig: Amazon Fire TV - Kodi 17.3
Backend: HP Microserver, Ubuntu, JBOD
There is an error/confusion line in the instructions. At least with Ubuntu minimal 16.04 I've downloaded:
Quote:When prompted to install software select the following: Minimal Xubuntu desktop, SSH server. Select software with SPACE, confirm with ENTER.
There are two options in install menu, that come close:
  • Minimal Xubuntu
  • Xubuntu Desktop

Is it both, the first, or the second
is there a way to get this setup to "play nice" with a headless VNC server?
Hi,
Is the manual valid for version 18.04?

Regards,
Mariuch
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO: Minimal Ubuntu 16.04 with Kodi, Steam & EmulationStation4