Channel up/down when sorted by name
In Kodi I like to have channels sorted by name rather than number. But when watching tv the channel up/down button always seems to go to next channel by number not next by name.

TVheadend server doesn't detect channel numbers, so I think Kodi assigns the channel numbers itself.

Is there any way to solve this on either Kodi or the tvheadend server without manually assigning numbers to every channel.

For example: say I have:

ch 140 Sports 1

ch 141 News 1

ch 142 Sports 2

If I have channels sorted by name then on the channel list it is ch 141, 140, 142. But, if I watch Sports 1 and press up then it will go to News 1 instead of Sports 2.

Hope that makes sense.
Thanks.
Tvheadend allows you to assign channel numbers, so you can sort by name and then assign numbers sequentially. Then in Kodi tell it to use the channel names and numbers from the backend.
Thanks, that works.

So, in tvheadend it was configuration / channel epg / channels, then click show all channels in the bottom right corner, then click name column to sort, edit the first channel to have a number 1, highlight all with ctrl-a, then select number operations menu and assign number, then click save. Then back in to Kodi, disable addon, enter LiveTV settings and clear data and select channel numbers from backend, then re-enable addon.

Note that tvheadend sort is case sensitive so station "NOW" (all capitals) is sorted before "News" (mixed case).
TVH has an assign number button in the channel editor. I believe it starts numbering at 1, but I may be mistaken. Just change the view to show all channels (bottom right corner), then click on the column header to sort by name. After that, click on the first item; then scroll to the bottom and shift-click on the last item—now all the channels are selected. Then click on the button to assign numbers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Channel up/down when sorted by name0