Thumbnail quality
Please, PLEASE, tell me there's a way to improve thumbnail quality generated from videos, because I'm getting low resolution, zoomed-in crops, from what are very good sources.

I tried searching on the forum, but I'm not sure people are talking about the same thumbnails that I am so I'm confused about the responses I found...
I'm also pretty sure this has nothing to do with the skin I'm using, also. It has this same quality in many skins.
What Metadata service are you using? Have you gone to their site to see if the pictures look the same?
No service at all, this is being generated straight from the file itself, by Kodi. Like, when you go to "Files" and explore the folder of a movie that hasn't been recognized by any scrapper, this is the thumbnail you get there. Too many films I watch don't have any fanart, and since I use full-screen view, I'm looking for a way to consistently obtain one for every one of them (yes, I could make them myself, but then again I rotate these films constantly, so I'd rather not have to manually make a high-res fanart every time I get a film that doesn't have any). I don't like depending on Internet connection, nor on someone who happens to have uploaded a fanart for the movie I'm watching.
Hello.
Ember Media Manager would fix this VERY quickly. It generates fanart for you and is very accurate. I rarely....rarely encounter a film that doesn't have some sort of fanart from some scraper. Even ones missing from TMDB, you can actually upload them via their wiki, and they'll scrape instantly via Ember. Technology is great.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259449

When it's done, have Kodi do a scrape of your source. Problem solved.
Also, the thumbnails you posted look pretty good. They appear to be directly pulled from the video based on Kodi's scraper. You can actually go into the addon settings and see if anything there assists as well. Assuming that your default is Universal Movie Scraper.
(2016-07-19, 10:10)McButton Wrote: Also, the thumbnails you posted look pretty good. They appear to be directly pulled from the video based on Kodi's scraper. You can actually go into the addon settings and see if anything there assists as well. Assuming that your default is Universal Movie Scraper.

Yeah that is what I meant by what service you were using. You could also try to use the MovieDB one. I have used that one and gotten much higher quality fanart and thumbnails.
But there would be no way to increase the quality of these generated-by-Kodi thumbnails? I just watch too many foreign/obscure films without any fanart uploaded anywhere, and on top of that I name folders just by title (no year included, I stopped adding it because reasons), so I'd really love for my fanart (thumbnails-turned-fanart, in this case) not be dependent on someone's else's altruism, and make Kodi just lift a random picture from the file itself instead, like it's doing now. I'm not geting horrible results, but they're certainly much worse than the source, so I wonder what's limiting Kodi from generating a full-quality image? Is there's some line in a file that specifies a max resolution or something?
You would have to read and act on the suggestion I posted. Take a look at the Universal Scraper ( Settings - Add-ons - Enabled Add-ons - Movie Information - Universal Movie Scraper - Configure) for Kodi. If there isn't a place there to adjust the quality...I don't believe there is as it usually acts as you are experiencing... then you have to do them all manually or use an independent scraper.

Seriously, give Ember a try. Load in some of your rarest movies and see what happens. It's pretty good at pulling the most obscure vids I have. If not, you can literally click an image capture from each movie. If you have 100 movies, you'll waste about 10 seconds each. I don't...THINK it has an auto capture..but it may. SOME scrapers DO have that option. "IF Image doesn't exist, THEN generate from media."

Easy stuff. Then have Kodi rescan. All clear. You're thinking too hard about it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thumbnail quality0