HOW-TO: Build XBMC for Win32 in VC++ Express Edition
I figured it made sense to document how I got it going. Well, as going as I've gotten it. I'm running VC++ Express Edition on Vista x64, but I believe these instructions should also work for normal x86 installations as well, and probably for other flavors of VC++ (Microsoft Visual Studio).

Updates welcomed; please will reply to this thread with any further or improved steps.

See here for the procedure required: http://xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/index.ph...ource_code

PS! I am pretty rusty with C++, so be especially wary of my proposed code changes.
I've committed changes 2->4 to SVN (rev 10148).

The first change is not portable, and I'm not sure why it's needed - os.hpp should be including <windows.h> there I think? Perhaps it's an include order issue?

Thanks,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

The first change was indeed moronic. The issue, though, is that Vista and VC++EE hate this part of os.hpp:
Code:
#if _WIN32_WINNT < 0x0300
#undef _WIN32_WINNT
#define _WIN32_WINNT 0x0300
#endif

Just uncommenting the "#define WINVER 0x0400" on the line just above that fixes the problem, though, and obviates my ugly hack. So apparently someone has seen something like this before.

-b
Wink 
I would really appreciate it if you or someone took the time while setting the environment up for themselves to document and write down the step-by-step instructions for how to compile XBMC for Windows with Microsoft Visual Studio (both for DirectX/Direct3D and for SDL/OpenGL if you can) and put those instruction in our wiki manual here => HOW-TO Compile XBMC for Win32 from source code.

Thanks in advance!
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
I am taking notes as I work on the DirectX build for VC2005EE, and will update the wiki once I get it built. There are still some patches to be made for the compiler at this point.

I started out going down the SDL road with VC2005 and made a lot of progress, but never got a complete build. I will put the notes I have on downloading and setting up SDL/GLEW in the wiki as well, though they will end before a complete build is produced.

Cheers
-b
I made the Win32 SDL version compile around aug 14. But later on i havent been able.. It gives LOTS of errors and reports broken stuff and so on.

I thought that maybe some dev didnt want users to be able to compile it just yet and made some small changes to break the compile.
  • ASRock ION 330 OpenELEC XBMC Frodo.
  • 47" LG HDTV1080p, AC3/DTS Receiver.
  • 96" Epson LCD 1080p projector
  • 2x Raspbery Pi with XBMC
Hey, I went to put in my instructions for VS2005 and found the Wiki page locked. Can someone let me into it? Same login info as the forums here.

Thanks
-b
PM pike and he'll set you up with access.

The SDL build will be fixed when I get some time - very busy atm.

Cheers,
Jonathan

I've updated the wiki page with VC++ 2005 Express Edition instructions for both the DX and SDL Win32. Not that neither one will build completely -- the DX version is very, very close, but the SDL version has at least one major stumbling block (SDL_gfx), plus probably the same compiler issue that has me stalled on the DX version.

Cheers
-b
Can some mod edit the original post here and just replace it with a link to the wiki page? Some of the instructions are newer there than here, and that will probably continue to be the case.

Thanks
-b
hey tried both way's and did exactly how its writen on the wiki truetypes ain't included seems we miss with this how to a few things i would like to help wheir its needed
in regards citer
Hmm, don't quite know if I translated that correctly, but I believe your issue is that inttypes.h isn't present in the linuxport branch?

sorry my english is verry poor what i meant to say whas
c:\Windows\SUA\usr\include
(This seems weird to me, but it's where inttypes.h is, at least on Vista)
i run windows vista ultimate 32bit and no SUA dir under directory Windows ...
tried like 8 hours but no luck so far :/
You can probably grab it on the web somewhere if you don't already have it. I'm not sure to be honest as I've never looked into it. It may even be in trunk/XBMC/xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/ffmpeg in SVN.

Just test build one and how can i remove FreeMem and the other that shows.
Are there any simple answers

Thanks from a beginner

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO: Build XBMC for Win32 in VC++ Express Edition1