How To? Maximize data/ meta data & library storage on NAS & minimize on Kodi box
Is there some thread /settings on the Forums that can guide us on How to
- MAXIMIZE storing info Next to Media on the NAS and - I have used some MMs to create .NFO and Cover Art stuff - Any more stuff in that direction or thats it?
- DISABLE/ MINIMIZE Kodi's ability to PULL and store stuff locally? - Or will pull LESS if the above is already in place?

So, I live at a place with very "capped" ISP data and wish to control and curate the "data & meta data" that gets stored for the MEDIA on my NAS:
Mostly.. Movies, TV,

Might add in future Music (prefer embed into file).

I'd like to Organize and Store as much info as possible on the NAS.
Can someone help outline what types of Data are stored by Kodi and how they are separate? can be separately understood?

e.g. Media Info . NFO files that I get when I run MediaElch/ Media Management programs
I remember way back Kodi used to do SCRAPING.. and Library and store stuff on the Box (from XBox and ATV1 days).

I'd like a common source of data so that every Kodi device does not create duplicates/ redundant copies of the same (given the small space boxes of Kodi).

The only possible thing that might of interest to keep separate is "play, pause, seen/ unseen markers".

Is there other stuff that you think might better kept COMMON and SEPARATE?

If this or hacks/ mods, techniques around this have been leverage before, please link me to those threads.

If there is a better Forum/ Sub Forum to put this inside please do so.

(2016-07-08, 07:47)HomerJau Wrote:
(2016-07-08, 07:17)wrxtasy Wrote: ...
As for Metadata and internal storage size limitations, use an external media scraper such as MediaElch and store all that metadata in individual (Movie/TV/Music) folders on a NAS. This is especially important for as a media collection grows, and makes that collection ultra portable between Kodi devices as well !
Scrape once and that is it. Putting in the effort is worth it in the long run.

Yes I'm doing that already, thanks for the input.

The Artist Slideshow seems to want to save locally. I have not yet cleaned out my current NUC SSD used for Openelec/Kodi to see if I can increase drive space, maybe I have unused skins etc. From memory I've used nearly 10GB hence my comment that 8GB maybe too small.
Can a mod move this to the SUPPORT forum? Please
Off the top of my head: for reducing internet usage for the library, use "NFO only" for your scraper and then turn off "download actor thumbs" from the video -> Library settings.

For everything else, check out: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Reduce_disk_space_usage
I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding your question, but are you using a shared database? You can have all your .nfo files and media information with the media files on your nas and create the library on the nas as well. All that goes on the client computers are .xml files to say where to find the database. If you use "local data only" as suggested by Ned Scott, you won't be downloading anything unless you refresh your information.
I think he wants to both limit internet usage and limit how much memory is used on each Kodi install/box.
(2016-07-25, 05:00)Ned Scott Wrote: I think he wants to both limit internet usage and limit how much memory is used on each Kodi install/box.

Thanks. Will follow your tips. That's kind of the intention. I appreciate it. Better to have things Centrally located, managed and shared.

http://kodi.wiki/view/syncing%20and%20sharing - Is this also relevant in the same way?
(2016-07-21, 09:08)crashnburn Wrote: I'd like to Organize and Store as much info as possible on the NAS.
Can someone help outline what types of Data are stored by Kodi and how they are separate? can be separately understood?
Kodi has a database (library) which contains all of the media files/music albums that you've added to Kodi's library. When you have organised your media, and named it in the way Kodi needs, and scanned it to the library, that database is created. Usually it is stored locally. What you can do is use a shared database on only ONE of your client computers, or on a nas. To do that, you need a database program like mySQL. I had that available for download from the manufacturer of my NAS. Whether you have it available will depend on the specs/model of your nas, have a look on the manufacturer's list of available applications. If you can run it, install it, then you need to set up the shared database http://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL

As far as the media information goes, when you scan online, your computer "grabs" the pictures for your movie/whatever and it also creates an nfo file. You can export that information from the Kodi database as one file or as separate files. If you put those files in the media folders on your nas, you don't need to access the internet again until/unless you want to - just don't set Kodi to automatically update the library on starting and/or change it from scanning "tvdb" (or whatever) to "scan locally".

My Kodi clients/nas are not connected to the internet at all. I have one database, on the nas, and all of the downloaded information is stored on the nas. If you set up a shared database on the nas, none of the clients will have to make room for the database, and you'll have no duplicates of anything.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How To? Maximize data/ meta data & library storage on NAS & minimize on Kodi box0