Best for Kodi
(2016-07-30, 18:59)wrxtasy Wrote: For me that has become, decent GUI speed, quality deinterlacing for TV, mpeg2 / H264 / 8/10bit H265 decoding and 5.1 AC3/DTS Audio Passthrough. HDMI-CEC is now pretty handy to have also.

If the money is not an issue with that in mind what will be your top pick.
I'm excluding 3D entirely here....

Money not an issue in a Kodi only player then go an HDMI 2.0 i7 series Skull Canyon NUC with a SSD and you would then have to purchase a USB Pulse8 CEC adapter or a replacement Lid the incorporates that adapter. Decoding of 10bit HEVC will either be Hybrid CPU/GPU method or done entirely by the CPU and output as 8bit color, like all Kodi players apart from the Shield and Q10 Pro.

You are also on the bleeding edge there, with audio drivers for passthrough not working properly yet with SK. PCM Multichannel (>2.0) is currently working as a compromise. There are likely other bleeding edge issues not yet discovered either.

Don't need deinterlacing (as its currently broken) get a nVIDIA Shield and use SPMC for Kodi.

A bunch of us that don't have that sort of coin for an expensive NUC, so an ODROID C2 for use as a pure Kodi player running LibreELEC is a good choice as its not missing much at all.
Virtually all video decoding done in Silicon. eMMC is fast enough, GUI is snappy in a 2GB device. Hook up a Ethernet connected NAS and your good to go. Only real playback limitations is no Multichannel PCM (>2.0) audio output, I would not use it as a Multichannel FLAC music player and DD+ has to be transcoded to AC3. All other passthrough audio works tho inc HD.

Also I would not use it expecting all sorts of externally connected USB Tuners, dongles etc to work out of the box like you would get with a NUC, due to running an older Linux Kernel. The Shield also runs the same vintage Linux Kernel internally, in fact it may actually be older.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best for Kodi0