Video Library: Direct to Titles View from Movies and TV Shows in Library Mode?
I'd personally be interested in anything you come up with. Whether that means it's implemented is a different story.

Fresh ideas are where good progress is made Smile

Defaulting to Title views on an advanced setting is easy enough to add in, and I'm happy to do that as long as spiff is happy (it's his baby primarily, so I'd prefer to check with him first).

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

KidKiwi Wrote:Does this also apply to the TV side? (ActivateWindow(MyVideoLibrary,TVTitlesHuh??)

Also, do you know what xml file this is added to. Knowing the correct file can save hours of hunting, especially when you don't really understand what you're actually looking for or at Eek

For my XBMC, I modified the PMIII skin home screen to show the following buttons:
  • Movies
  • TV Shows
  • Music
  • Pictures
  • Weather

In the button configuration in home.xml, I use:
Movies: <onclick>ActivateWindow(MyVideoLibrary,MovieTitles)</onclick>
TV Shows: <onclick>ActivateWindow(MyVideoLibrary,TVShowTitles)</onclick>
Music: <onclick>ActivateWindow(MyMusicLibrary,Albums)</onclick>

which jump to my favorite views for each section.

Nod
while i certainly dont object to the advanced setting, i dont think its the 'ultimate' solution.

we should come up with a way to customize both the music and video libs completely. it should be quite doable from the code side, it just needs a nice ui
spiff Wrote:while i certainly dont object to the advanced setting, i dont think its the 'ultimate' solution.

A good short-term solution...

spiff Wrote:we should come up with a way to customize both the music and video libs completely. it should be quite doable from the code side, it just needs a nice ui

But I think Spiff is right here allrighty Nod
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
was this ever resolved?

I have looked at the on line manual and it says you can have two seperate buttons on the main menu jump to two different sections in one source. i.e. if I have sources "Videos" and in this I have Movies and TV programs I should be able to set up the "Movies" button jump to MyVideos,movies and TV programs jump to MyVideos,TV programs.

But this does not work.... whichever was the last view of either is the view of both?

I may be doing something wrong but I am trying to change "scripts" on the main menu to "TV Programs".
Use "VideoFiles" as the destination window if you want to jump to a path. Use "VideoLibrary" if you want to jump to a particular section of the library. And whenever you use the "standard" videos destination, you'll see whatever you were at last.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
@tytherman

Here is my home screen.

I removed the button B/G and just used the rollover-buttons. It's easy to add another button by copying a "control" and modding it to your use. You'll also need to mod the "onup" and "ondown" numbers to jump to the correct button while navigating - and check for unique button ID's. Follow the layout/formatting of the existing xml.

Here is the original xml code for the "My Videos" button found here "Skin\Project Mayhem III\PAL16x9\Home.xml" (use just "PAL" if 4:3)

<control type="button" id="5">
<description>My Videos normal push button</description>
<posx>54</posx>
<posy>119</posy>
<width>14</width>
<height>13</height>
<hitrect x="45" y="105" w="200" h="40" />
<label>3</label>
<font>special13</font>
<onclick>ActivateWindow(MyVideos)</onclick>
<onleft>98</onleft>
<onright>96</onright>
<onup>4</onup>
<ondown>3</ondown>
<texturefocus>home-focus.gif</texturefocus>
<texturenofocus>-</texturenofocus>
<textoffsetx>30</textoffsetx>
</control>

Backup the Home.xml file, then makes the mods.

I modded two buttons as such - the first for "My Movies"

<control type="button" id="2">
<description>My Movies normal push button</description>
<posx>37</posx>
<posy>28</posy>
<width>12</width>
<height>14</height>
<hitrect x="45" y="15" w="220" h="40" />
<label>Movies</label>
<font>special13</font>
<onclick>xbmc.activatewindow(myvideolibrary,movietitles)</onclick>
<onleft>98</onleft>
<onright>98</onright>
<onup>19</onup>
<ondown>4</ondown>
</control>

the 2nd for My TVShows...

<control type="button" id="4">
<description>My TV Shows normal push button</description>
<posx>37</posx>
<posy>74</posy>
<width>12</width>
<height>14</height>
<hitrect x="45" y="60" w="220" h="40" />
<label>TV Shows</label>
<onclick>xbmc.activatewindow(myvideolibrary,tvshowtitles)</onclick>
<font>special13</font>
<onleft>98</onleft>
<onright>98</onright>
<onup>2</onup>
<ondown>5</ondown>
</control>

Make sure you set each node as "Default" with the context menu to jump straight to the title domain.

Hope this helps.
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
thanks for this, been rebuilding playroom pc with XBMC for the kids...... Anyway for the solution you posted below to work do you need to scan movies and tv shows into the library? Currently I simply use file mode for both. also any chance you could copy the extract from your sources showing movies and tv shows..

thanks again for your help.
tytherman Wrote:Anyway for the solution you posted below to work do you need to scan movies and tv shows into the library?.

Not so! Simply replace "myvideolibrary" with "myvideofiles" .
thanks works great.... on this point is it possible to set up sub categories in the sources.

for example hitting the movies button would take you to "movies" which in turn would have sub menus "kids", "dads" and "natashas" again using files and not library. I know I can add multiple paths to each section but this puts all files into one long list.

What I am trying to achieve is a "movies" section with each member of the familys movies under their own section and then TV shows potentially split in a similar fashion, with the movies button taking you to the top level Movies folder and likewise TV shows to the top level TV shows
See here
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Opening_Windows_and_Dialogs

You could also probably do what you're after by setting up different "Profiles" for each user. (Settings>Profiles). Don't use them myself.

Or perhaps create a "Smartplaylist" and point directly to that in your home screen link using a location path.

Lots of good stuff in the wiki too.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Online_Manual
tytherman Wrote:thanks works great.... on this point is it possible to set up sub categories in the sources.

for example hitting the movies button would take you to "movies" which in turn would have sub menus "kids", "dads" and "natashas" again using files and not library. I know I can add multiple paths to each section but this puts all files into one long list.

What I am trying to achieve is a "movies" section with each member of the familys movies under their own section and then TV shows potentially split in a similar fashion, with the movies button taking you to the top level Movies folder and likewise TV shows to the top level TV shows

in addition to what kidkiwi suggested, you could add a video source called Movies and then use ActivateWindow(myvideofiles,Movies)
and then just change your file system to something like:

/Movies/Kids/<movies.avi>
/Movies/Dad's/<movies.avi>
/Movies/Natasha's/<movies.avi>

that'll take you inside your Movies source and show you the subdirectories inside. Thats probably the easiest solution to maintain, but the problem with it is you'll need duplicate movies if Natasha and Dad both want the same movie in their list.

To prevent that, you can use custom genres like 'Dad' and then create smartlists. This is harder to maintain, but would save on harddrive drive space. I don't know exactly how to do it like that off the top of my head, but it's all in the wiki.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
thanks, profiles is not the answer as it requires logging off then on again. Creating a source called movies is the best way. There are no duplicate movies, so I will give this ago.

thanks
KidKiwi Wrote:@tytherman

Here is my home screen.

I removed the button B/G and just used the rollover-buttons. It's easy to add another button by copying a "control" and modding it to your use. You'll also need to mod the "onup" and "ondown" numbers to jump to the correct button while navigating - and check for unique button ID's. Follow the layout/formatting of the existing xml.

Here is the original xml code for the "My Videos" button found here "Skin\Project Mayhem III\PAL16x9\Home.xml" (use just "PAL" if 4:3)

<control type="button" id="5">
<description>My Videos normal push button</description>
<posx>54</posx>
<posy>119</posy>
<width>14</width>
<height>13</height>
<hitrect x="45" y="105" w="200" h="40" />
<label>3</label>
<font>special13</font>
<onclick>ActivateWindow(MyVideos)</onclick>
<onleft>98</onleft>
<onright>96</onright>
<onup>4</onup>
<ondown>3</ondown>
</control>

Backup the Home.xml file, then makes the mods.

I modded two buttons as such - the first for "My Movies"

<control type="button" id="2">
<description>My Movies normal push button</description>
<posx>37</posx>
<posy>28</posy>
<width>12</width>
<height>14</height>
<hitrect x="45" y="15" w="220" h="40" />
<label>Movies</label>
<font>special13</font>
<onclick>xbmc.activatewindow(myvideolibrary,movietitles)</onclick>
<onleft>98</onleft>
<onright>98</onright>
<onup>19</onup>
<ondown>4</ondown>
</control>

the 2nd for My TVShows...

<control type="button" id="4">
<description>My TV Shows normal push button</description>
<posx>37</posx>
<posy>74</posy>
<width>12</width>
<height>14</height>
<hitrect x="45" y="60" w="220" h="40" />
<label>TV Shows</label>
<onclick>xbmc.activatewindow(myvideolibrary,tvshowtitles)</onclick>
<font>special13</font>
<onleft>98</onleft>
<onright>98</onright>
<onup>2</onup>
<ondown>5</ondown>
</control>

Make sure you set each node as "Default" with the context menu to jump straight to the title domain.

Hope this helps.

Hi all, my first post at these fine forums. Smile

I have XBMC Atlantis (latest alpha) on my ubuntu box, and tried to adapt the "mod" above to the PM3.HD skin, but without success. All I get when I launch XBMC is a black screen with the mouse pointer. I've tried to edit one of the other buttons (Scripts, as I dont see that I will use that), and I can get it to open the "Videos" windows, ie the same function as the "Videos" button have, but how do I edit the name of the button, and how to I get it to open my folder with TV-shows instead of the default videos folder? What changes do I need to do to get this to work? And how do I change the label of the button so that it says "TV Shows" instead of "Scripts"?

A lot of questions... Smile I hope someone can point me in the right direction.. Smile
Got assistance from the IRC channel, problem solved. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video Library: Direct to Titles View from Movies and TV Shows in Library Mode?0