v17 Kodi 17 Alpha 2 Video setting for Parse CC
Is there a setting for "Parse CC" in Krypton? I have not been able to turn on Closed Captions for Live TV or recorded TV shows. This is ATSC TV in the United States.

If this has already been posted, I apologize. I have not been able to find it via search.
I believe atsc uses some non standard cc which is not supported.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
In Jarvis the setting is under Settings > Video > Subtitles > Enable parsing for Closed Captions. You can then turn them on in the OSD and choosing the Audio > Subtitles. (You may need to change the settings level to get it to show up; also, the setting may have moved in Krypton—I do not use it yet, so I cannot say ...)

ATSC Closed Captions are not like DVB subs/Teletext, which are separate streams, but are rather interleaved with the video stream itself. There are some tools (such as ccextractor) which can pull Closed Caption data out of the video stream and save them as SRT files.

The full name/standard for ATSC Closed Captions is EIA-608/708 (depending upon the version), and the Wikipedia page has quite a bit of info. As of Jarvis they are supported (and have been since Gotham, I believe), but the setting to enable them is not intuitive at all.
In order to setup closed captions under Krypton, I had to load Confluence skin and from there the "Enable parsing for Closed Captions" is located under the "Language" tab >> under "Subtitles".
It's disabled by default because it requires additional system resources.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
The setting is available with default skin Estuary.
(2016-07-28, 22:02)FernetMenta Wrote: The setting is available with default skin Estuary.
Where is the "Enable parsing for Closed Captions" setting located in the Kodi Krypton Estuary skin?

I was unable to find it and had to revert to the Confluence skin where the setting is available at System -> Settings -> Player -> Language.
Same place. Just make sure your settings level is high enough to expose the setting.
Thank you @rpcameron for the tip about increasing the settings level.  For some reason I didn't receive an email about your response and only just discovered it today.

Following is how I located and changed the Closed Caption setting with the Estuary skin:

1. Navigate to System (gear icon at top) and press Enter.
  2. Navigate to Player settings and press Enter.
  3. Navigate to bottom of menu and change Settings level from Standard to Expert by using Enter key.
  4. Navigate to Language.
  5. Navigate right then down to Enable parsing for closed captions and press Enter to toggle setting active.
  6. Navigate left then down to bottom of menu and optionally change Settings level back to Standard from Expert by using Enter key.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17 Alpha 2 Video setting for Parse CC0