Problem running on Linux
Question 
Hi guys,

First of all: I love XBMC and I've been using it on my XBox for years! I've been using and developing on Linux for around 10 years so I thought I'd try and help with the Linux porting effort.

However, I'm running into some problems. The XboxMediaCenter application starts up but nothing ever gets displayed other than a black screen. I've gone through the debugger and it's constantly looping at line 669 of Application.cpp. It looks like it's expecting some user input, but pressing keys or clicking mouse buttons doesn't seem to do anything.

Am I missing something obvious? What might be going wrong where?

Many thanks
no offense but did you try using build.sh ? if you didn't use build.sh before, you need to clear any XML's from system/profiles before using build.sh
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I hadn't tried build.sh no - I followed the linux build guide and it makes no mention of build.sh. I have tried it now though, and I get exactly the same problem.
Someone should probably move this to the other forum.

And you probably want to mention your system specs, what x window manager you are using, etc. I know that for some reason XBMC doesn't run under Compizfusion for me.
Also check xbmc.log, check what output there is from the commandline etc. etc.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

I'm using NVIDIA twinview, which may be causing some issues - but like I said the application just keeps looping while waiting for user input.

Here is the output:
Quote:MoveFile - cant move file </home/bmd/xbmc/branches/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc.log>. trying lower case </home/bmd/xbmc/branches/linuxport/xbmc/xbmc.log>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting XBoxMediaCenter. Built on Sep 12 2007
Q is mapped to: /home/bmd/xbmc/branches/linuxport/XBMC
The executeable running is: /home/bmd/xbmc/branches/linuxport/XBMC/XboxMediaCenter
Log File is located: /home/bmd/xbmc/branches/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc.log
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
lastloaded: 0
Setup SDL
Available videomodes:
Found mode: 2560x1024
Constructing surface
GLX Info: NOT Using destination window
GLX Info: Using parent window
GLX Info: Creating unshared context
GL: OpenGL Vendor String: NVIDIA Corporation
LIRC Initialize: connect failed: No such file or directory
Drives are mapped
load settings...
loading /home/bmd/xbmc/branches/linuxport/XBMC/UserData/guisettings.xml
Unable to load /home/bmd/xbmc/branches/linuxport/XBMC/UserData/guisettings.xml, creating new /home/bmd/xbmc/branches/linuxport/XBMC/UserData/guisettings.xml with default values
Unable to save settings to /home/bmd/xbmc/branches/linuxport/XBMC/UserData/guisettings.xml
Resetting settings
DeleteFile - cant delete file </home/bmd/xbmc/branches/linuxport/XBMC/UserData/guisettings.xml>. trying lower case </home/bmd/xbmc/branches/linuxport/xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml>
Delete - Error deleting file /home/bmd/xbmc/branches/linuxport/XBMC/UserData/guisettings.xml
Unable to save settings to /home/bmd/xbmc/branches/linuxport/XBMC/UserData/guisettings.xml
Emergency recovery console starting...
Available videomodes:
Found mode: 2560x1024
pike Wrote:... if you didn't use build.sh before, you need to clear any XML's from system/profiles before using build.sh

Did you do this?
No sorry I missed that. I've deleted system/profiles.xml, removed the BUILD directory and done a make clean. Doing a new build now.
You're running from the SVN folder.

Run build.sh and it'll put everything (+ fix case issues) in a BUILD folder.

The issue you are having is with case of files by the looks (thus the "fatal error handler" which doesn't actually work :p)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem running on Linux0