Ability to use custom directory listing for repository
(2016-08-01, 20:03)blackoutworm Wrote: You're not with me here, are you?
It's not "some file hosting site". It's an open directory. Both those links are.
Only difference is, the 2nd one (mine) is using a php script to show directory content because the hosting company will not allow open directory.
Do you understand now?
So again. This is what kodi needs to fix. They need to allow directory listings that aren't directly open.
Because then it will be easier for people to host repositories on their own site if their hosting companies decide to be secure.

I'm sorry to say that, but you are talking complete nonsense that has nothing to do with Kodi addon repositories and Kodi itself. Do read the Kodi Wiki about how to organize your own repo.

I used to have my repo in my DropBox (when they allowed direct links to content), now I host my repo on GitHub pages. I know guys who host their repos right inside their GitHub code repos, using "raw" links, and all this works without any nonsense about "open directory " or what on earth you are talking about. Maybe the current addon repo system is not ideal but it surely has nothing to do with "open" or "closed" or whatever else directories.
(2016-08-01, 22:25)Roman_V_M Wrote:
(2016-08-01, 20:03)blackoutworm Wrote: You're not with me here, are you?
It's not "some file hosting site". It's an open directory. Both those links are.
Only difference is, the 2nd one (mine) is using a php script to show directory content because the hosting company will not allow open directory.
Do you understand now?
So again. This is what kodi needs to fix. They need to allow directory listings that aren't directly open.
Because then it will be easier for people to host repositories on their own site if their hosting companies decide to be secure.

I'm sorry to say that, but you are talking complete nonsense that has nothing to do with Kodi addon repositories and Kodi itself. Do read the Kodi Wiki about how to organize your own repo.

I used to have my repo in my DropBox (when they allowed direct links to content), now I host my repo on GitHub pages. I know guys who host their repos right inside their GitHub code repos, using "raw" links, and all this works without any nonsense about "open directory " or what on earth you are talking about. Maybe the current addon repo system is not ideal but it surely has nothing to do with "open" or "closed" or whatever else directories.

No I'm not talking nonsense that has nothing to do with kodi.
Everything that I'm saying has everything to do with kodi and repos.
I tried to add github as a source, but it didn't work.
The only directories that I am able to add as source are open directories. And that's the problem at hand. Because again (as I've stated a billion times), more and more hosting companies will not allow open directory listing.
I have no idea how you can possibly misunderstand this.
"Lucifer, the Light-bearer! Strange and mysterious name to give to the Spirit of Darkness! Lucifer, the Son of the Morning! Is it he who bears the Light, and with its splendors intolerable, blinds feeble, sensual, or selfish souls? Doubt it not!"
[Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry]
(2016-08-02, 04:09)blackoutworm Wrote: No I'm not talking nonsense that has nothing to do with kodi.
Everything that I'm saying has everything to do with kodi and repos.
I tried to add github as a source, but it didn't work.
The only directories that I am able to add as source are open directories. And that's the problem at hand. Because again (as I've stated a billion times), more and more hosting companies will not allow open directory listing.
I have no idea how you can possibly misunderstand this.

What "sources" are you talking about? Add "sources" where? If we are still talking about Kodi addon repositories, then those words make no sense. Do learn what a Kodi addon repository is. It's not just some file hosting that you have shown me so far.

If you mean "sources" as content sources for Kodi, that's completely different thing and you should be more clear.

Wild guess: if you mean that you can add such file hostings as directories to Kodi File Manager and then download and install addons from such hostings using the File Manager, then it seems as an undocumented feature and it is not an official way to install addons in Kodi. Official way is via the Addon Manager in Settings and it has nothing to do with such file hositngs. Yes, you need some kind of file hosting for your addon repo, but you also need to create a proper directory structure and add the necessary metadata files for your addon repo to be compatible with the Kodi Addon Manager.
@blackoutworm: As Roman_V_M has repeatedly explained, directory listing has nothing to do with kodi repos.
Read the Wiki, create the proper directory structure, addon.xml and the corresponding md5sum and it will work.
(2016-08-02, 11:07)wsnipex Wrote: @blackoutworm: As Roman_V_M has repeatedly explained, directory listing has nothing to do with kodi repos.
Read the Wiki, create the proper directory structure, addon.xml and the corresponding md5sum and it will work.

Okay maybe I'm the one who's not been clear here, and I'm sorry if that's the case.
So when you add a source in order to install a repo, you need a source that has open directory listing in order for kodi to "see" the files.
Then when you add the source, you install the repo from that source.
That is what I am talking about.
The source needs to be an open directory.
And that's a problem as more and more hosting companies decide it's insecure to have open directories (which it is too btw).
So in my example here, I am using a directory listing php script because the directory is not open: http://kodi.me.ht.
Get it? And that's what kodi needs to add support for.
"Lucifer, the Light-bearer! Strange and mysterious name to give to the Spirit of Darkness! Lucifer, the Son of the Morning! Is it he who bears the Light, and with its splendors intolerable, blinds feeble, sensual, or selfish souls? Doubt it not!"
[Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry]
(2016-08-02, 12:46)blackoutworm Wrote:
(2016-08-02, 11:07)wsnipex Wrote: @blackoutworm: As Roman_V_M has repeatedly explained, directory listing has nothing to do with kodi repos.

Okay maybe I'm the one who's not been clear here, and I'm sorry if that's the case.
So when you add a source in order to install a repo, you need a source that has open directory listing in order for kodi to "see" the files.
The source needs to be an open directory.
And that's a problem as more and more hosting companies decide it's insecure to have open directories (which it is too btw).
So in my example here, I am using a directory listing php script because the directory is not open: http://kodi.me.ht.
Get it? And that's what kodi needs to add support for.

That method is a hack and i'd rather see it gone completely.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2016-08-02, 12:46)blackoutworm Wrote: Okay maybe I'm the one who's not been clear here, and I'm sorry if that's the case.

Sorry, but that's complete nonsense. You don't install addons in Kodi in such way. Are you sure you are talking about Kodi at all? Maybe you have confused it with some other software? I don't know, Mediaportal maybe, or some seriously re-worked Kodi fork that has nothing to do with the official version from Team Kodi?

I admit that I cannot call myself a Kodi guru and there may be a lot of undocumented capabilities that I don't know, including maybe some weird hacky ways of installing addons (I don't know if such hacks even exist) not through the Kodi Addon manager which is the only officially supported way to do so, but undocumented capabilities and hacks are what they are - bugs and hacks. You shouldn't rely on them.

This is the last time I'm telling you: what you are writing here about "open directory", "closed directory" or other whatever directory has nothing to to with how Kodi addon repositories work and with Kodi itself.

UPD: I see that Martijn confirmed that such hack does exist. But as I said, you shouldn't rely on hacks.
So you misunderstood me again, huh?
So here's how you install addons in kodi.
You add a source, you go to System > Addons and then Install from Zip.
Then add the repo and install the addon from there.
How is that the wrong way?
I'm referring to the source where the repo is at.
In kodi, this source needs to be an open directory listing in order for kodi to "see" the files.
And because more and more hosting companies will not allow that, that is why I'm providing a solution.
I hope that's clear enough. And I have no idea why I am being misunderstood here still.
1. you download a .zip from random server and put it were Kodi can find it
2. you install from .zip
3. the end

As said the add source or whatever is a stupid hack. The method you want to use is in NO WAY officially supported.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
No, the way he has suggested is only seen to add banned repos/addons. Take a look at any of the seo-michael howtos, and hundreds of others. Serious developers have proper repos.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-08-02, 13:47)Martijn Wrote: 1. you download a .zip from random server and put it were Kodi can find it
2. you install from .zip
3. the end

As said the add source or whatever is a stupid hack. The method you want to use is in NO WAY officially supported.
Well. I prefer it that way.
Much simpler.
Just joined, BlackoutWorm, couldn't help noticing your post from August last. I had exactly same problem, cannot understand why nobody seems to understand. You need to format the listing or KODI can't see it. I have an IIS server, I have written custom default.htm
(2017-05-23, 17:22)KerneldeBugger Wrote: Just joined, BlackoutWorm, couldn't help noticing your post from August last. I had exactly same problem, cannot understand why nobody seems to understand. You need to format the listing or KODI can't see it. I have an IIS server, I have written custom default.htm

If you have your own server then you should have no problem with creating a proper Kodi addon repository structure without resorting to some undocumented and unsupported hacks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ability to use custom directory listing for repository0