Linux Unable to find path to Kodi data files!
Hi guys,

I have just ran an upgrade to my kubuntu 16.04 machine and after it kodi wont startup anymore Sad

What I have already tried : removing and purge kodi + dependencies, removed the .kodi folder and the all thing reinstalled, still nothing, it wont start!

If I run it via command line I get : Unable to find path to Kodi data files!

Any idea?

Thanks a lot in advance.
if you mean kodi nightlies a fix is in the works
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2016-08-03, 18:30)Martijn Wrote: if you mean kodi nightlies a fix is in the works

Hi Martijn, thank you for your reply.

I have just tried to downgrade it to the older stable versions (following instructions here : http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_for_Linux)

Still same issue, it wont startup Sad
this should be fixed in tomorrows nightly.

in the mean time start kodi like this:
KODI_HOME=/usr/share/kodi/ kodi
(2016-08-03, 18:53)wsnipex Wrote: this should be fixed in tomorrows nightly.

in the mean time start kodi like this:
KODI_HOME=/usr/share/kodi/ kodi

YES!!! It starts now, thank you so much! I will wait until the fix is ready Wink Thank you!
Hello, I've a minimal installation where Kodi is launched by a systemd service:
[Unit]
Description = Kodi Media Center

After = systemd-user-sessions.service sound.target

[Service]
User = kodi
Group = kodi
Type = simple
PAMName = login
ExecStart = /usr/bin/xinit /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/kodi-standalone -- :0 -nolisten tcp vt7
Restart = on-abort
RestartSec = 5

[Install]
WantedBy = multi-user.target

how can I adapt your workround?

Thanks in advance
found a solution:

export KODI_HOME=/usr/share/kodi/

then

xinit kodi

Thanks
I too have had a similar experience with the new Kubuntu release and please note I have multiple drives in my box. I was just about ready to give up when I stumbled upon this temporary fix. Hope this helps...
We have Kodi and the O/S on separate drives, music files on another, movie files on yet another, ect. Kodi appeared to be lost and could not find what it needed leaving the program non-op. I found if I opened the file manager (Dolphin) to the desired drives for Kodi; Example: the required use files and media. The Kodi program can then easily find the needed path. For now I simply open the File manager to all my needed drives, shrink Dolphin down to the bottom of the page and run Kodi full screen. Not sure if this is your exact situation but perhaps this temporary fix helps someone.
Hoping this work around will be resolved soon.
thats got nothing to do with the OPs issue, which has been fixed almost 2 months ago.
If you have kodi installed on drives not mounted at boot, it's obvious that kodi cannot start.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to find path to Kodi data files!0