mythtv-pvr addon crashing mythbackend
I'm not sure how it's possible or even how to go about debugging it, but what I do know is earlier this week I changed our 3 frontend machines from using mythfrontend to using Kodi with the MythTV-PVR addon for better speed. The mythfrontend has gotten horribly slow over the years and the Kodi interface is simply more modern with a higher WAF. The mythbackend has always been rock solid and has run for years without issue.

However, starting this week after changing the frontend to Kodi, when watching live TV and the program changes at the top or bottom of the hour, the backend crashes. A new instance is spawned thanks to the monitor daemon but if we had been recording a show, it would have been interrupted or missed. Thinking it was only a one-time fluke, we kept using Kodi but it happened again, then again. As long as we are not actively watching live when a program changes, things are fine. Switched back to mythfrontend (ugh, old and slow, but stable), and the crashes went away, even when watching live over a program changes on the hour.

Will be glad to try and gather whatever might be needed and send or attach, but since it involves another app, wasn't sure where to begin.
Going to need more information on your setup e.g.

mythbackend version

Kodi version including pvr.mythtv version within kodi, together with platform information e.g which operating system.

In addition will need a Kodi debug log (make sure pvr.mythtv Advanced options has Include more debug information in log file selected). The Kodi log should be posted to pastebin or similar, not on this forum - just the reference to the log.

Mike
I have exactly the same problem. While watching live tv using mythtv-pvr, the mythtv backend occasionally crashes at the time of a program change (NOT a channel change). This never happened when I was using the mythtv frontend.

I am using version v0.27.6-27-g3783dc8 of the myth backend, running under debian wheezy. The mythtv-PVR addon is installed on OSMC running Kodi 16.1 on a Raspberry Pi 3.

At the default mythbackend loglevel, nothing is logged at the time of a backend crash. I have not tried a higher loglevel.

Any ideas?

Frank
I had this kind of issue using unstable backend. It seems to be caused by a race condition in qt lib linked with the backend.
Using latest 0.28 backend , I have rarely this issue.
I opened a bug report to mythtv track but the issue occurs only using protocol/api and it seems to be difficult to reproduce with the mythfrontend which doesnt use that.
You could try to upgrade your backend to latest mythtv 0.28.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
mythtv-pvr addon crashing mythbackend0