Different thumbnails for different views (banners vs. posters), support using both?
Since the release of the new wide icon view, witch is one of the best ideas by the way, an Idea popped into my head that it would be great if you could setup different Icon names in folders and the skin or xbmc would read them from a system setting on what icon view you are using. Huh

Example: I am using MC360 and most all of my icons are wide but when I switch to a different skin the movie poster view would be a better choice.

Has anyone thought of this or explored the usage of such an optionHuh
Tell me your thoughts.
Yes - several times over. Search and see what others think.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Vary Welcome. If we leave it up to the developers it could take forever. DING!! Patch Please Smile
I searched but didn't find this till after I posted. Sorry... Here is a link to the best related one I found.

Link
I take it you're not developing a skin ... please respect our subforums aka103
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Another topic-thread about the same thing => http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=24235
Is there any possibility that posters and banners could co-exist independently?

I ask because I frequently try out other skins and it always irks me that there is no way to keep the banner view looking good if I also want Aeon to look its best.

I have a feeling that this might be XBMC dependent rather than skin dependent. If so, what is the logic in having these features in the XBMC core? Surely it would be better if the scrapers could be extended within skins. Needing to edit source code and recompile just to add a new type of data for scraping doesn't seem like the best way to do things.

Anyway, thank you in advance for any enlightening responses.
how do i setup my tvdb scrapper to grab the posters for tv shows instead of banners ?? or is this even possible ?
It's not possible yet, but I believe it's a feature which has been requested of the XBMC team.

This leads me to believe that scraping and adding entries to the library database can only be handled at XBMC level and cannot be augmented by skins. That's a shame as it would be fantastic if skins could have their own databases and scrapers.
Spiff said he'd work on the scraper yesterday for this, but probably didn't get to it. Be patient... it'll be in there relatively soon.

As far as skins handling scraping, that doesn't make much sense. Most of the skins can handle multiple view types anyway. Plus it's generally a better idea to separate data from presentation. Finally, can you imagine if each skin author had to update the scraper every time there was a new feature? Anyone using an older skin would be absolutely screwed.
Sure I can imagine it. I'm sure there is a way of sidestepping all the problems too.

I'm thinking of a system where you can augment for extra data so unless another skin is explicitly looking for Aeon scraped data it wouldn't even know it was there.

Plus I imagine it would be nicer to have a scraping engine that only required changes in an xml file rather than recompilation. I'm sure there are reasons that it doesn't work this way but I can't imagine that this would be impossible or impractical.

Naturally I'm open to examples where it would cause problems. It's not like I've clearly defined how all this would work so I haven't fully thought it through.
michal Wrote:Sure I can imagine it. I'm sure there is a way of sidestepping all the problems too..

Yes its called updating the scraper yourself (or anyone else for that matter)and submitting it to the trac as a patch so we can add it quicker
i got to do the work but forgot to do the commit - lol @ myself.

and michael, seriously mate. do some research before you go around spewing your crap. xbmc's scraper system has been xml based since 2006.
spiff Wrote:and michael, seriously mate. do some research before you go around spewing your crap. xbmc's scraper system has been xml based since 2006.

So why did you need to update the VideoDatabase.h file when adding movie fanart?

I'm not trying to be contrary I just don't think it's as xml based as it could be.
Jezz_X Wrote:Yes its called updating the scraper yourself (or anyone else for that matter)and submitting it to the trac as a patch so we can add it quicker

OK.

How many skin authors do you see submitting patches for the scraper at the moment? And how likely would it be for you to be accepting dozens of patches (which included the need for more fields in the library database)?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Different thumbnails for different views (banners vs. posters), support using both?2