Win simultaneously record/watch & IR commands
Hello,

New here.

I made mistake of "upgrading" to W10.Sad

I made the hack and had it working till I installed the anniversary addition which took it out. I am guessing MS will keep on circumventing similar hacks.

Does Kodi or any other MC perform as did WMC, specifically:

1. Free integrated TV guide (without a 20 step "hack")
2. Simultaneously record and watch either a previously recorded program or the one that is currently being recorded
3. Provide all the IR commands for all actions such as Rewind, Skip, Guide, CC, and on and on. I was able to use my Logitech Smart Control to COMPLETELY control WMC. I don't want to use a mouse.

I am thinking of going back to W7 since I don't see any advantage of keeping W10.

Does anyone know how long MS will support/update the WMC TV guide?

BTW I am using a Hauppauge 950q TV tuner.

Your comments are appreciated.

Thank you,

JJ
Mythtv satisfies your 3 requirements, and has a good kodi frontend.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Best bet is to do the research in what you want a media center has to do. You can install wmc in windows 10 very easy and I believe ms is stopping the tv guide. So going back to W7 won't help. Best bet is stay up to date with os versions as you will have to anyway. Not like you can use W7 for the rest of your life. All the things you want to do is very possible with kodi and pvr backends. Just start by installing kodi then a pvr backend of your choosing then look through the forums for everything you might want to do. Yes very possible with kodi and W10 even can install wmc so just research.
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi

Don't forget the Thank User button if i have helped!
|
V
Actually there have been reports that w10 no longer runs wmc since a recent w10 update.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks for your response.

It's my understanding that there is no compiled version of Mythtv for Windows. Call it lazy but I would like to transition to some program that is about as easy to install as WMC.

WMC does not work with the new anniversary update.

Can anyone verify how long MS will provide the TV guide?

Will Kodi or any other program replace the exact IR WMC commands that I have programmed in 3 of my Logitech Smart Control?
Quote:I made mistake of "upgrading" to W10
The saying around here is it's not broke don't fix it and in this case might aptly apply. There's isn't too many free guides around (cost $ to keep one current) and MS while it was selling the product, the going was good. You have good advice in this thread, keeping up might be some effort, but will payout in the long run. the alternative is to revert and wait until the lights go out.
There is good north american guide data from schedules direct for a very minimal cost, pretty sure you can use it with wmc.
Thanks to all for your valuable input.

JJ
If you need a Windows based PVR, check out NextPVR. It's got a decent Kodi front end as well and will record from lots of sources. It's worth noting that if you're in the US then you won't be able to record any channel not marked COPY FREELY by the cable company (this is different than encrypted). NextPVR can record encrypted channels if you're using a cablecard, just not the channels marked COPY ONCE or COPY NEVER. On some providers you'll be able to record everything but premium channels like HBO, on others you'll only be able to record the local stations (CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, CW, etc). If you really need to record that kind of stuff, you have to get a cable box and an analog encoder. It's a pain, but it does work (I have to do that).
(2016-08-20, 03:33)pkscout Wrote: If you need a Windows based PVR, check out NextPVR. It's got a decent Kodi front end as well and will record from lots of sources. It's worth noting that if you're in the US then you won't be able to record any channel not marked COPY FREELY by the cable company (this is different than encrypted). NextPVR can record encrypted channels if you're using a cablecard, just not the channels marked COPY ONCE or COPY NEVER. On some providers you'll be able to record everything but premium channels like HBO, on others you'll only be able to record the local stations (CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, CW, etc). If you really need to record that kind of stuff, you have to get a cable box and an analog encoder. It's a pain, but it does work (I have to do that).

Thank you. I am only interested in coping OTA channels like CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, CW, etc.

I will try NextPVR to see how it stacks up against WMC before I decide to go back to W7.
NextPVR works perfectly under windows 10 bud no need to downgrade.

Also if your having problems theres always the insider program you could join to get the latest build of win10 it was a disaster for me the std build until i went to the insider builds.
Does NextPVR include a free TV Guide?

Does it have all the same IR codes as WMC?
http://www.nextpvr.com
(2016-08-20, 23:52)nickr Wrote: http://www.nextpvr.com
Thanks nickr!
I wouldn't be too worried about it using the same IR commands, your interaction will mainly be via Kodi won't it?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
simultaneously record/watch & IR commands1