Welcome to Advanced Emulator Launcher
Advanced Emulator Launcher is a multi-emulator front-end for Kodi scalable to collections of thousands of ROMs. Includes offline scrapers for MAME and No-Intro ROM sets and also supports scrapping ROM metadata and artwork online. ROM auditing for No-Intro ROMs using No-Intro XML DATs. Launching of games and standalone applications is also available.
- Runs ANY Windows, Linux, Android, and OS X Application.
- Populate thousands of ROMs metadata within minutes with powerful offline scrapers. The offline scraper for MAME is custom made (based on MAME XML database and Catver by AntoPISA) and other platforms use Billyc999 GameDBInfo.
- Online metadata & artwork scrapers for TheGamesDB, GameFAQs, MobyGames and Arcade Database.
- Optimized for blistering speed and efficiency.
- Highly scalable in accommodating vast libraries without compromising performance.
- Solid reliability. AEL maintains launcher integrity and avoids the corruption issues with Advanced Launcher.
- Expanded artwork & asset support including clearlogos, banners, trailers, boxback, manuals, and more.
- ROM auditing for No-Intro ROMs using No-Intro XML DATs.
- Parent/Clone view mode for No-Intro ROM launchers.
- Organise and unify all your treasured titles with the special in-built Favourites category.
- ROM Collections: Bring together all the games from a series that spans over various years and systems.
- Virtual Launchers: Allows for browsing collections by Name, Studio, Genre, Year and Category.
- Display the most played ROMs.
- Display the last played ROMs.
Advanced MAME Launcher or Advanced Emulator Launcher?
Why two different addons capable of launching MAME? Should I use Advanced MAME Launcher or Advanced Emulator Launcher?
- AML is much easier to configure than AEL. AEL is a general launcher whereas AML is tailored specifically for MAME.
- AEL only shows the MAME ROMs you have. As opposed, AML shows every single MAME machine, even the ones you don't have the ROMs for.
- AML includes a set of powerful Machine/ROM filters that makes navigation of MAME and Software Lists easy and convenient.
Installation & Downloads
Current Stable Version: 0.9.6
Development builds are also available from GitHub by clicking HERE.
WARNING: Advanced Emulator Launcher is currently under active development and is offered as a public beta. Until version 1.0.0 is released, storage of metadata, assets, and naming conventions may be subject to change.
Instructions for Advanced Emulator Launcher usage are available from the GitHub Wiki. Currently the status of the wiki is not great and I will update/improve its contents over the following weeks.
A Getting Started tutorial is available here.
Categories/Launchers metadata and assets
To help with your AEL setup process, an AEL asset library of metadata NFO files and assets/artwork for popular categories/launchers is available in Github. You can download the whole repository and place it in the machine where Kodi is installed to be used when configuring AEL categories/launchers.
To use the metadata for categories/launchers, first create the launcher/category using AEL context menu. Then, using the "Edit Category/Launcher" context menu, go to "Edit metadata" and load the corresponding NFO file.
To use the assets/artwork, use the "Edit Category/Launcher" context menu, then go to "Edit assets/artwork". I tried to include icon/fanart/banner/poster for each category/launcher but the AEL asset library is still incomplete.
The AEL asset library also includes a collection of XML auto-configurations you can use to easily setup your emulators. Browse the files in Github and check the emulator parameters in the XML files. Alternatively, you can download an XML auto-configuration and install it by going to AEL addon settins, "IO" tab, and selecting "Import configuration". Remember to change the ROM path, assets path and application path before importing (or you can change after importing using the "Edit Launcher" context menu).
Contributions to this Github repository are welcomed and encouraged
AEL supports all Kodi skins including Confluence for Jarvis and Estuary for Krypton or higher. However, what metadata and art assets that can be presented to the user is entirely skin dependent thus different skins may yield different visual results. As AEL is an evolution of Advanced Launcher, any skin which provides support for the latter will actually support both.
Currently, there are no skins which fully support the new changes introduced into AEL though some skins / views with robust support for Advanced Launcher presently exist. This is anticipated to change shortly as skin developers become familiar with AEL.
List of skins that display AEL metadata/information:
Cirrus Extended (Kodi Jarvis), Cirrus Extended with Sexy Cirrus MOD (Kodi Jarvis).
List of skins with true Advanced Emulator Launcher support:
Arctic: Zephyr Plus, Estuary AEL MOD (see second post), Confluence AEL MOD (deprecated, see second post).
Getting Artwork for Games / ROMs
Although AEL incorporates online scrapers that will download artwork for your ROMs due to the large number of artwork pieces it is recommended that you get whole artwork collections, specifically, if you have launchers with many ROMs. These are some places you can download artwork to use with AEL.
- EmuMovies: The most complete emulation asset site on the net (excluding MAME). *Registration Required*
- HyperSpin Media: Forum for HyperSpin users containing artpacks. Clearlogos are called 'Wheels' in HyperSpin parlance. *Registration Required*
- Libretro Thumbnails: The Libretro GitHub collection of Boxfront, Titles, and Snaps. Most of them have been scraped from TheGamesDB.
- Internet Archive: The Internet Archive is full of treasures! Make sure you do a comprehensive search!
- Progretto Snaps MAME Artwork: The definitive place in the universe for MAME (and Software Lists) assets.
Notes to Advanced Launcher Users
Both AEL and Advanced Launcher can coexist on the same Kodi installation. AEL supports importing Advanced Launcher launchers and ROMs in a very easy way. In AEL, go to Settings > Advanced > Import Launchers.xml.
- You can delete ROMs/Launchers in AEL without affecting AL. You can later reimport AL launchers.xml but keep in mind that previously imported launchers will be overwritten and every time you do the import a new 'default' category will be created.
- If you use an AEL online scraper to download thumbs and/or fanart those will overwrite the artwork you already have.
- If you use AEL to export NFO files and you already have AL/RCB NFO files they will be overwritten. AEL format for NFO files has changed a bit, so be careful about this.
Bugs & Feature Requests
You can ask for feature requests in this thread or directly on GitHub.
If you find a bug or Kodi shows an error in AEL you can report it in this thread or in GitHub. Try to be descriptive about the problem and the steps you do that cause it. Unless otherwise told, follow these steps:
- In Kodi Settings, turn Kodi debug log OFF.
- In AEL Settings, go to Advanced and set the log level to DEBUG.
- Reproduce the bug.
- Put your Kodi log file in Ubuntu pastebin or PasteBin.
You can use the Kodi Logfile Uploader addon to help with the log upload process. Thanks to Ronie for this fine addon.
TODO - Known issues
- The offline scraper does not contain yet databases for all platforms. You can see the list of currently supported platforms here.
Release history (and release notes)
- Advanced Emulator Launcher 0.9.6
- Advanced Emulator Launcher 0.9.6-beta1
- Advanced Emulator Launcher 0.9.5
- Advanced Emulator Launcher 0.9.5-beta2
- Advanced Emulator Launcher 0.9.5-beta1
- Advanced Emulator Launcher 0.9.4
- Advanced Emulator Launcher 0.9.3
- Advanced Emulator Launcher 0.9.2
- Advanced Emulator Launcher 0.9.1