• 53(current)
Beta Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi
(2017-03-05, 16:40)Wintermute0110 Wrote: New AEL release 0.9.6-beta1....
1) After upgrading to 0.9.6-beta1 go to AEL settings >> IO tab and execute "Check/Update all databases ...". If you don't do this AEL will crash constantly.

Hi,
Can you please put this line onto the first post. I usually download updates from there so I don't have to go looking for them and I wasn't able to see my roms till after I did this.

Also next to all my launchers it is saying No Roms even though I have roms in them
Hi, I have a couple of questions. One AEL specific and one more generic.

1 - I've tried to set up a launcher for my SCUMMVM games. The problem I'm having is that for each rom I need to put the file path but then also need to put the name of the game. (eg scummvm "c:/lure_of_the_temptress/lure.exe" lure). Is there a way to get that extra argument in or is it best to create a stand alone launcher for each game inside a ScummVM category?

2 - Bit of a long and possibly confusing one - I have a massive collection of C64 roms all zipped up. The zip files contain the full game name which is good for scraping but my emulator (vice c64) isn't able to launch the zip files. It can do gzips but not ordinary zips. So I need to extract the files. The rom files inside the zip unfortunately don't have the full name which means they don't scrape too good. I've noticed in each of the zip files there is a .nfo with all the details of the game however they are all named something like info.nfo .Sooo my question is, is there any way I could use the rom file inside the zip in ael and have it match to the correct nfo file without me having to manually go through each file (I have over 1000 just in the #-A roms so manually will take too long). I have lots of image files to use too but they match the name inside the nfo file which is another reason why I'm eager to find a way to use both files.

Questions out the way I also have an observation about the latest release (though may have been in a previous release too) - When importing roms it doesn't seem to tell you that it's trying to scrape the metadata and images anymore. I thought importing had become very slow but then when i was in the settings I realized I had scraping turned on.
(2017-03-07, 18:37)KODser Wrote: Hi Wintermute0110, about the new metadata-> nplayers and ESRB Rating just update the database will fill this new metadata or do I need to scrape again, because these two are empty in all games with an database update done

about the rating it only will be ESRB Rating (its the only one that I can edit) or it would be more? you talked about MPAA and PEGI rating on the post but I can't find them on the rom data

Hi KODser. At the moment scrapers do not update nplayers nor ESRB. I will try to update them before the definitive 0.9.6. Currently the only way of changing ESRB and nplayers is manually editing the ROM.

AEL will store internally ESRB always. If scrapers have MPAA or PEGI it will be translated to ESRB. If AEL need to set MPAA or PEGI is will translated from the database ESRB to any output format on a best-effort basis.
(2017-03-07, 23:21)foleyjo Wrote:
(2017-03-05, 16:40)Wintermute0110 Wrote: New AEL release 0.9.6-beta1....
1) After upgrading to 0.9.6-beta1 go to AEL settings >> IO tab and execute "Check/Update all databases ...". If you don't do this AEL will crash constantly.

Hi,
Can you please put this line onto the first post. I usually download updates from there so I don't have to go looking for them and I wasn't able to see my roms till after I did this.

Also next to all my launchers it is saying No Roms even though I have roms in them

Good idea, will do!

Rescan your ROMs, that should update the number of ROMs in the launcher. Because you are not adding any ROM the process should be really fast (couple of seconds for a 2000 ROM launcher).
(2017-03-08, 10:26)foleyjo Wrote: Hi, I have a couple of questions. One AEL specific and one more generic.

1 - I've tried to set up a launcher for my SCUMMVM games. The problem I'm having is that for each rom I need to put the file path but then also need to put the name of the game. (eg scummvm "c:/lure_of_the_temptress/lure.exe" lure). Is there a way to get that extra argument in or is it best to create a stand alone launcher for each game inside a ScummVM category?

Code:
<launcher>c:\Scum\scum.exe</launcher>
<args>&quot;$rom$&quot; $rombasenoext$</args>

Remember &quot; means " in the configuration XML. If you edit the launcher using AEL GUI you put " and not &quot;

(2017-03-08, 10:26)foleyjo Wrote: 2 - Bit of a long and possibly confusing one - I have a massive collection of C64 roms all zipped up. The zip files contain the full game name which is good for scraping but my emulator (vice c64) isn't able to launch the zip files. It can do gzips but not ordinary zips. So I need to extract the files. The rom files inside the zip unfortunately don't have the full name which means they don't scrape too good. I've noticed in each of the zip files there is a .nfo with all the details of the game however they are all named something like info.nfo .Sooo my question is, is there any way I could use the rom file inside the zip in ael and have it match to the correct nfo file without me having to manually go through each file (I have over 1000 just in the #-A roms so manually will take too long). I have lots of image files to use too but they match the name inside the nfo file which is another reason why I'm eager to find a way to use both files.

Why don't you get a ROM manager (ROMCenter, ROMVault or CLRMAMEPro) and a C64 DAT file and rebuild you Commodore 64 ROM set? That will produce a clean and correctly renamed ROM set. The ROM manager has an option to either compress the ROMs into ZIP or leave them uncompressed. It may take some time to learn how to use the ROM manager but it's worth it.

(2017-03-08, 10:26)foleyjo Wrote: Questions out the way I also have an observation about the latest release (though may have been in a previous release too) - When importing roms it doesn't seem to tell you that it's trying to scrape the metadata and images anymore. I thought importing had become very slow but then when i was in the settings I realized I had scraping turned on.

In Krypton there is a performance regression compared to Jarvis. The scanner is much more slower. I initially though it was because maybe the progress dialog was updated too much (5/6 times for every ROM) so I included an option to change the text only once per ROM. After some tests it seems that's not reason for the scanner performance degradation, maybe some other thing I changed. Anyway, I will include an option in AEL settins >> Display to restore the previous behaviour.
(2017-03-08, 16:08)Wintermute0110 Wrote:
Code:
<launcher>c:\Scum\scum.exe</launcher>
    <args>&quot;$rom$&quot; $rombasenoext$</args>

Fantastic. Will try that tonight hopefully. Thanks

(2017-03-08, 16:08)Wintermute0110 Wrote: Why don't you get a ROM manager (ROMCenter, ROMVault or CLRMAMEPro) and a C64 DAT file and rebuild you Commodore 64 ROM set? That will produce a clean and correctly renamed ROM set. The ROM manager has an option to either compress the ROMs into ZIP or leave them uncompressed. It may take some time to learn how to use the ROM manager but it's worth it.

I'll try this. I did have a go at doing it before (I think based on your advice on another post in this thread actually) but I couldn't get to grips with the Rom Manager. I'll have a try at this though. The romset I have is the Gamebase one and I think that comes with the DAT file.

(2017-03-08, 16:08)Wintermute0110 Wrote: In Krypton there is a performance regression compared to Jarvis. The scanner is much more slower. I initially though it was because maybe the progress dialog was updated too much (5/6 times for every ROM) so I included an option to change the text only once per ROM.....

I think either the option to turn on the previous display or just some kind of warning that online scrapers are turned on before starting the import.
Hi, I have been trying to get Retroarch to work for launching PSX games through AEL and I'm having no luck whatsoever. I also had no luck trying to get them to work in Rom Collection Browser, but they work when lauched from Retroarch. Should I give up on it and just use another emulator for PSX. If so can you recommend one.
OK I've made some progress.
For Scummvm rather than use the method you suggested, I noticed there was an alternative command option on the rom settings. I'm using this to add the launch command. I import the games manually and add all the meta data an d images at the same time so this is a good way to do it for me.

The C64 roms I'm still struggling with. I know what the issue is it just takes a while to get around it. I have used Bulk Rename Utility to rename the game and nfo files to the same as the folder. I have been trying to import but some of the nfo files contain foreign characters that causes the import to stop. It's a slow process changing them so I may just use the metadata scrapers instead.
Is there any guides on what arguments to use with different emulators for AEL so they get passed along? I've setup EPSXE and PCSX2 and when I click on the rom file name it doesn't pass along the iso filename, all is does is boot the bios of the the emulator. I've tried the default "$rom$" then "%rom%" and also "%ROM%". Thanks in advance for any help on this.
(2017-03-08, 19:41)Kingnorik Wrote: Hi, I have been trying to get Retroarch to work for launching PSX games through AEL and I'm having no luck whatsoever. I also had no luck trying to get them to work in Rom Collection Browser, but they work when lauched from Retroarch. Should I give up on it and just use another emulator for PSX. If so can you recommend one.

In the release notes post for 0.9.6-beta1 there is a link to the AEL-asset-library that includes a configuration for Retroarch Mednafen PSX core that works. That configurations are for Linux but it is very easy to adapt them for Windows. Also, if you are using Linux you can see the console output for Retroarch and see if there are any errors/warnings: Go to launcher context menu >> View to do so. This feature is not available in Windows though.
(2017-03-09, 04:47)PrimusZa1 Wrote: Is there any guides on what arguments to use with different emulators for AEL so they get passed along? I've setup EPSXE and PCSX2 and when I click on the rom file name it doesn't pass along the iso filename, all is does is boot the bios of the the emulator. I've tried the default "$rom$" then "%rom%" and also "%ROM%". Thanks in advance for any help on this.

You are using Windows, I guess. First thing to do is open a MS-DOS console and from there try to launch the emulator and an ISO image. That should tell you the parameters you need. "$rom$", "%rom%" and "%ROM%" are all aliases for the full-path ROM filename, any of them must work but "%rom%" and "%ROM%" are deprecated and will be removed in a future AEL release so use "$rom$". Maybe there are some other arguments or switches you need in order to make those emulators work.

To do your tests I recommend you do an XML configuration that can be edited and loaded very quickly in AEL. Once you get a working configuration please share the XML with the configuration so I can add it to AEL asset library. You have an example of an XML configuration here.
(2017-03-09, 04:47)PrimusZa1 Wrote: Is there any guides on what arguments to use with different emulators for AEL so they get passed along? I've setup EPSXE and PCSX2 and when I click on the rom file name it doesn't pass along the iso filename, all is does is boot the bios of the the emulator. I've tried the default "$rom$" then "%rom%" and also "%ROM%". Thanks in advance for any help on this.

If it's windows then EPSXE needs the extra commands -nogui and -loadbin
However when you use the nogui command you won't be able to change discs on multi disc games.
I'm interested in trying Retroplayer to compare with other emulators I use but I can't find any information on how to set it up and use it with AEL.
I tried launching a SNES game using the Retroplayer option last night and it just said "Please Wait" for a while and then nothing happened.

Can anybody explain what I need to do or point me to a quick guide?
Apart from the games launching directly in Kodi what are the benefits of using Retroplayer over normal windows emulators and the benefits of using the windows emulators over Retroplayer?
(2017-02-27, 21:07)Marcus_Brown Wrote:
(2017-02-27, 12:23)chrisism Wrote:
(2017-02-26, 17:57)Marcus_Brown Wrote: ....

Yeah I've done all that and I know I had it working before but maybe something happened when retroarch updated. You can bind hotkeys in Retroarch in order to close and it should bring you back to the AEL menu at least for me thats what it does. I binded R3 to close out in retroarch settings. Its weird but thats the shield and retroarchs relationship in a nutshell basically.

Hey I have some more stuff to share about the Shield controller. Now I finally have some more time to actually enjoy the games through AEL I noticed something with Retroarch and the shield controller. For some reason the controller only works with me if its on port #1.
When Retroarch starts up and you click something on the controller you will see something popup like "Connected Shield controller on port #0". When its #0 my shield controller doesnt react at all. If I then click on the shield remote and/or on my tv remote (HDMI CEC) and then I click on my shield controller its popups again with "...#1". When that happens I can just use my controller and it all works fine.
Marcus, do you have the same experience? Might that be the issue.
(2017-03-09, 12:19)chrisism Wrote:
(2017-02-27, 21:07)Marcus_Brown Wrote:
(2017-02-27, 12:23)chrisism Wrote: ...

Yeah I've done all that and I know I had it working before but maybe something happened when retroarch updated. You can bind hotkeys in Retroarch in order to close and it should bring you back to the AEL menu at least for me thats what it does. I binded R3 to close out in retroarch settings. Its weird but thats the shield and retroarchs relationship in a nutshell basically.

Hey I have some more stuff to share about the Shield controller. Now I finally have some more time to actually enjoy the games through AEL I noticed something with Retroarch and the shield controller. For some reason the controller only works with me if its on port #1.
When Retroarch starts up and you click something on the controller you will see something popup like "Connected Shield controller on port #0". When its #0 my shield controller doesnt react at all. If I then click on the shield remote and/or on my tv remote (HDMI CEC) and then I click on my shield controller its popups again with "...#1". When that happens I can just use my controller and it all works fine.
Marcus, do you have the same experience? Might that be the issue.

Yeah I have the same problem it only works on port 1. Which is fine when loading retroarch independently from AEL, because the shield controller auto configs. I still havent found a work around for when Running Retroarch through AEL where the controller doesn't register at all. I know it worked before on an older version of Retroarch, but I don't think that should be an issue as other rom launchers don't seem to have this issue. I'll check it again when I get home from work tonight. I'm thinking it's gotta be something in the launcher arguments thats making it behave like that.
  • 53(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi12