Beta Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi
(2019-07-03, 16:46)Wintermute0110 Wrote:
Survey to AEL Users - Unique Launcher ROMs artwork directory

I'm currently working on version 0.9.8 and the main feature will be the resuscitation of the scrapers. However, I am also thinking on some changes in AEL towards making AEL more friendly with a future Kodi games database. One of these changes is the location and placement of the ROM assets. I am doing this survey because this change will complicate a bit the upgrade from 0.9.7 to 0.9.8, requiring the exporting of your configuration in XML with version 0.9.7, editing the XML and then reimporting the edited XML with 0.9.8.

Let's go to business. Currently, when creating a ROM Launcher you are asked for the ROM asset path. AEL then creates inside this directory the boxfront, boxback, etc. directories, where the ROMs artwork are stored. However, in the database each path is stored separately and can be edited later. For example, when using XML to configure your launchers, you can specify the <ROM_asset_path>, or alternatively <path_title>, <path_snap>, etc. (have a look here for more details). This approach is very flexible. However, it makes the code of AEL more complicated. For example, if a new piece of artwork is created in the database (and another new feature of AEL 0.9.8 is the support for 3D Boxes), a new tag <path_new_artwork_piece> is needed, all the launchers need to be modified, etc.

Why AEL uses this approach in the first place? This is a legacy feature from old good Advanced Launcher. AL sopported only two types of artwork: Icons and Fanarts, and stored both paths separately. When I created AEL I simply added more artwork directories and just simplified the Launcher creation process. However, all the separated paths of the ROM artwork directories are there in the database.

The proposed change is as follows: only the <ROM_asset_path> will be asked for and stored in the database. Users will not be able to configure the path of each piece of artwork separately. AEL will automatically create the subdirectories boxfronts, boxbacks, snaps, etc., as required inside the <ROM_asset_path>.

How many of you agree with the change? Is anybody using ROM artwork directories that to not share a common root path <ROM_asset_path> anyway?  

@Wintermute0110 - AEL is awesome and I'm sure the vast majority of your users think so. We get that you're a one-man show when it comes to developing this add-on, so do what makes your life easier in terms of future development and maintenance.
I'm in support of you doing things to make life easier for you to keep giving us this amazing add-on!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - by b1gblue - 2019-07-14, 17:15
Can You create A Sub Category? - by Wild_Tom - 2020-07-13, 04:43
Crash & Lost my launchers? - by eirrocmh - 2020-11-29, 02:25
RE: Crash & Lost my launchers? - by eirrocmh - 2020-12-19, 00:19
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi12