• 3(current)
Linux HEVC 10bit Kodi
As mentioned in one of my earlier posts a few months back I have no issues watching HEVC-10 bit (1080x1920/24p) on a four years old Intel i3 PC (from Aldi, with onboard GPU, 'standard' graphics driver as per the Kodi's install recommendations for Intel GPUs) and Kodi 16.1 on a 2 years old custom Kernel from Fritch ... with about 30-35% CPU utilisation on peaks for one or two cores, the other two CPU cores hovering around the 10-15% mark. It baffles me that you can't watch HEVC-10 bit on a i5Huh Don't need HW decoding, unless you have a need to watch 3 HEVC-10 bit movies simultaneously on your TV!!! I can only focus on one movie at a time Tongue

Have no issues watching HEVC-10 bit (also 1080x1920/24p) on a AMD based PC (again a cheap PC from Aldi lol ... onboard R7 graphics, almost 2 years old), albeit with slightly higher CPU utilisation, but still well below the 50% CPU utilisation mark ... again, no HW Accel required (Kodi 17.1, Padoka radeonsi driver).

My experience is to stay away from AMD based GPUs for now as support is patchy, difficult to get a 'good driver' without some sort of optimisation required ... stick to Intel for Linux based systems for now Wink
Here: http://fritsch.fruehberger.net/samples - just get the future live tv sample and see why CPU decoding sucks.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-12-20, 07:28)LeKodeur Wrote: As mentioned in one of my earlier posts a few months back I have no issues watching HEVC-10 bit (1080x1920/24p) on a four years old Intel i3 PC (from Aldi, with onboard GPU, 'standard' graphics driver as per the Kodi's install recommendations for Intel GPUs) and Kodi 16.1 on a 2 years old custom Kernel from Fritch ... with about 30-35% CPU utilisation on peaks for one or two cores, the other two CPU cores hovering around the 10-15% mark. It baffles me that you can't watch HEVC-10 bit on a i5Huh Don't need HW decoding, unless you have a need to watch 3 HEVC-10 bit movies simultaneously on your TV!!! I can only focus on one movie at a time Tongue

Have no issues watching HEVC-10 bit (also 1080x1920/24p) on a AMD based PC (again a cheap PC from Aldi lol ... onboard R7 graphics, almost 2 years old), albeit with slightly higher CPU utilisation, but still well below the 50% CPU utilisation mark ... again, no HW Accel required (Kodi 17.1, Padoka radeonsi driver).

My experience is to stay away from AMD based GPUs for now as support is patchy, difficult to get a 'good driver' without some sort of optimisation required ... stick to Intel for Linux based systems for now Wink

1920x1080 is no Problem with my i5. But try to play a 3840x2160 File with CPU decoding. Thats the Problem. Its almost like a Diashow Wink
Oh OK Undecided
Yeah I tried playing a 10-bit HEVC 4k file on an i7 2600 and it still maxed out the processor and stuttered. Even on my gaming system which has a 5820k overclocked to 4.5GHz it uses 40-50%. You really need HW decoding for 4k material.
Yep, got the message Smile ... I guess I should have known you were talking about 4k HEVC-10 bit, doh! ... wasn't made clear in the original post. Yeah, HW decoding definitely required there! Looks like another trip to Aldi sometime late next year for a new PC with the required HW Accel Smile ... by then I guess there may be a decent amount of 4k material available also ... and I know Fritsch and FernetMenta will have the Kodi side all worked-out ... they love that stuff Wink ... Hey, merry xmas to all you guys with special mention for the Kodi Dev team, you guys do a fantastic job, dev and support! Cheers.
I can post you a 1920x1080 hevc-10 bit that you cannot play while a 6W Apollo Lake plays it without issue.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
OK, that would be interesting! I'll give it a go - thanks.
(2016-12-19, 23:22)fritsch Wrote: As of now I don't know anybody that wanted to implement a fourth hw decoder (it's not even a ffmpeg hwaccel) into kodi. Some ffmpeg guys phillipL and btbn thought loudly about doing that. But that's it - I don't know from any plans inside kodi to support yet another blob, meanwhile the GPU costs > 500 dollars (5 Apollo Lakes).

For the record: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HWAccelIntro <- nvidia's new decoding API is called cuvid

I'm probably being idiot in not understanding what that ffmpeg page shows, what does:

Quote:CUDA Linux NVIDIA - Y
CUDA(1) AVHWAccel - Y

(1) Also known as "CUDA Video Decoding API" or "CUVID" or "NvDecode?".

CUVID, which is also called nvdec by Nvidia now, can be used for decoding on Windows and Linux. In combination with nvenc it offers full hardware transcoding.

mean if not hardware acceleration?
ffmpeg has implemented cuda decoding api
So that means , it s ok now with GTX 1050 on Linux for HEVC 10 bits 4k hardware decoding ?
I know it works very well on Windows 10 : a friend of mine have GTX 1050 on his windows 10 with Kodi 17 rc1 and the HEVC 10 bits hardware decoding works perfectly (1 or 2 % CPU load and 40% load on his GTX 1050)
is it the same now on Linux ?
On linux in general: yes. In kodi on linux: no

On windows kodi: yes
ok , thank u very much , so I think I ll go on windows with Kodi 17 and my future GTX 1050.
happy new year Wink
In fact , I m not sure to buy Nvidia GTX 1050 , I found a Gigabyte Brix GB-BKi3HA-7100 with i3 7100u and HD Graphics 620 wich is now fully capable of HW decoding Main10 Profile.
Do u think it s ok forr Linux for HEVC 10 bits 4k hardware decoding with Kodi 17? (instead of GTX 1050)
No. Kodi 17 does not support it. Kodi(-agile) 18 does already. I am succesfully running on a J4205 Apollo Lake.

Remember: There is currently some manual patching needed to get that to work, in order to rebuild mesa (yeah fernet had to send mesa patches upstream to get the infrastructure done). But nothing that would need more than 1 hour time.

So in short: yes, but not out of the box on let's say Ubuntu. On the other hand there are some "demo LE images" around (without support).
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HEVC 10bit Kodi0