Kodi freezes on exit, and then must be task killed
I've been having an issue with Kodi hanging when I exit - to the point where I need to right click and 'end task.'

I completely blew away my Kodi install, started fresh with 16.1, and installed a few core things. (Emby, Artic Zephyr, backup, advanced launcher).

However, I'm still seeing the issue. Any thoughts on what's happening?

http://pastebin.com/9c93Z8yy
I've experienced this but only if Kodi is still scanning for new files to add to the library when exiting Kodi. However if I wait long enough, several mins, it eventually closes properly. I think it's related to it waiting for various connections to time out when updating the library.
No, that's not it. I just opened Kodi, let it sit for 25 minutes, then attempted to exit. It still hung, and had to be task killed.

Does anyone know what's causing this?
Looks like you have some errors around some of your add-ons and networking, you might want to disable them and see if your system will properly shutdown, If the system works well, start enabling until your find the culprit. (suspects are Trakit, or emby)
I got some help on the Emby forum, and the culprit is 'skin helper service'. It looks like it came bundled with Arctic Zephyr.

I had to first disable Arctic, then disable 'skin helper service'. Then I enabled Arctic back on, and it let me keep the skin helper disabled. Kodi now exits properly, so I've confirmed it has something to do with that skin helper. I just made a post in that thread.
Excellent, thanks for the come back message, sure to help others.
Hey guys, I was having the same problem with Kodi not exiting, but I think I found the solution on another forum. It was caused by the USTVnow plus and USTVguide addons, there was some kind of conflict with updates. This is the solution that worked for me.

"For anyone with the shutdown issue.
goto system->addons ->available updates
and either force update or cancel the update for ustvnow guide.
maybe even the ustvnow plus addon
it will be stuck on download 0%
for some reason the update hangs (it gets updated though) and wont let it shutdown"
As USTVNow is broken (http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...ht=ustvnow ) I am not sure how this is an issue at all.

But yes, errant addons can produce errors on kodi exit. A debug log (wiki) is required in each case.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Same problem as the topic post. I would like to add that pressing [x] sometimes leaves the process in the process list.
Errant addons can produce errors on kodi exit. A debug log (wiki) is required in each case.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-09-01, 00:20)nickr Wrote: As USTVNow is broken (http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...ht=ustvnow ) I am not sure how this is an issue at all.

But yes, errant addons can produce errors on kodi exit. A debug log (wiki) is required in each case.

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my post. It was "USTVnow Plus" NOT "USTVnow" that was causing the problem. I'm guessing they are not the same.
No, USTVNplus is a fork of USTVN. Unfortunately the fork is housed *cough* elsewhere *cough*. I am not sure whether it breaches any rules other than being in the wrong repo.
It took awhile but yes this is exactly what happened on my Kodi (16.1) and since I don't use USTVnow + because it ask me if I'm American. ( I'm Canadian, so wasn't sure if it worked or not, I don't like to take chances) I uninstalled USTVnow Plus and Kodi exits within a minute or so. Drove me crazy as I had to re-boot and clear the cache. Then when I would restart Kodi it would start in first run then work for awhile. the only thing it then would do is tell me to check log for failure of links. Which I'm so not knowing about as I'm so not so tech literate.(I'm used to 1-2-3 instructions in plain english) Sorry I'm so green about these things and don't know the exact words to use when asking a question. Glad I found this thread and just by accident. Thxs again.
How to resolve Kodi Freezing on Exit

There are two folder where you need to insert new text for the Exit Button. But first you must unhide the Hidden Items in Windows folders by choosing the check box to show Hidden Items in Windows Explorer.

FOLDER 1
C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\addons\skin.confluence\720p

1. Navigate to your Kodi addons installation folder C:\Program Files x86\Kodi\addons
2. Find the folder for the skin you are using (default skin is Confluence) located in skin.confluence
3. In subfolder 720p open the DialogButtonMenu.xml file in Notepad and search for the word Quit
4. Change the line <onclick>Quit()</onclick> to
<onclick>System.Exec ("taskkill.exe /im Kodi.exe /f")</onclick>
5. Save and exit.

FOLDER 2
Look for your login name in C:\Users\
C:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\skin.confluence\720p

1. Navigate to your Kodi addons installation folder in C:\Users\your name.
C:\Users\Your Name\AppDate\Roaming\Kodi\addons\skin.confluence\720p
2. Find the folder for the skin you are using (default skin is Confluence) located in skin.confluence
3. In subfolder 720p open the DialogButtonMenu.xml file in Notepad and search for the word Quit
4. Change the line <onclick>Quit()</onclick> to
<onclick>System.Exec ("taskkill.exe /im Kodi.exe /f")</onclick>
5. Save and exit.

This should have fixed Kodi Exit freezing in Windows.TongueSmile
That is a bad solution. Don't follow that if you actually want to retain your settings.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi freezes on exit, and then must be task killed0