Raspberry Pi 3 laggs while playing Bluray iso
Question 
Hi there,

I use a Raspberry Pi 3 (running osmc) and i'm having some problems with it:

Whenever I play one of my Bluray-Iso discs / files the movie stops from time to time a few seconds to load the content or the movie laggs every few seconds for a short moment..

I overclocked the Pi to 1GHz, hopeing it will help. But no success.

My movies are at the Moment on my Windows 7 Machine (my NAS is broken at the Moment). I use symbolic links so I only need to share one folder via nfs.

I also tried to Play around with the kodi video-Settings but it doesn't help.

Does someone have a tip what to try?
Buffering is due to the network, not due to the Pi. I have a Pi3 that I used to play 3D MVC ISO's (ripped from blurays) and used to experience buffering issues when I was sharing via my mac mini, but after I switched over to a NAS, I have never experienced any buffering issues.
(2016-08-26, 20:47)Grinsekatze Wrote: Hi there,

I use a Raspberry Pi 3 (running osmc) and i'm having some problems with it:

Whenever I play one of my Bluray-Iso discs / files the movie stops from time to time a few seconds to load the content or the movie laggs every few seconds for a short moment..

I overclocked the Pi to 1GHz, hopeing it will help. But no success.

My movies are at the Moment on my Windows 7 Machine (my NAS is broken at the Moment). I use symbolic links so I only need to share one folder via nfs.

I also tried to Play around with the kodi video-Settings but it doesn't help.

Does someone have a tip what to try?

Try playing the same content from locally attached storage on the Pi. Sounds to me like a network problem. The Pi is more than capable of playing 2D and 3D Blu-ray ISOs. I routinely play 35Mbs average bitrate H264 1080/50p (higher than Blu-ray spec and with far higher peaks) content on a Pi 3 (in fact that content plays fine on a Pi Zero)...

If that is the case then it would be worth looking at your network config and how the Windows PC is working. NFS is usually better than SMB as a network protocol as it has a lower overhead in processing terms ISTR.
Thanks for the help. I will try later, when I'm home. Then I download a few isos to an external (USB2.0) hard disk.

My Network ist set up this way: I use a Fritzbox 7390 (router). It provides 4 Gb-LAN ports and Wifi. The Windows 7 PC is connected via LAN. The Pi aswell. Also the Pi gets ist IP via dhcp, like the Windows 7 Computer.

The Windows 7 machine I use at the Moment because my Server broke down. So first I have to buy a new Processor and Mainboard to be able to use it again. Also I never tried the Server and Pi together. While the Server broke down I got my Pi 3. Before I used an old Windows Compoter as my htpc.
My former Server had Windows 2012 R2. But I'm thinking of changing to FreeNAS while I have to rebuild the System.
I'm playing amovie atm. from my external disc and seems as if it goes well.

But my movie collection doesn't fit on a single disc (that's why i use a dataserver Wink ).

So now what can I do to stabilize the playback via Network?

I use nfs already. my Server / Workstation (atm.) is connected via 1000 Mbit. The Pi only is capable of 100 Mbit.

Edit:
I found an article dealing with the Pi bandwith: http://www.jeffgeerling.com/blogs/jeff-g...networking
So maybe I should buy one Adapter myself.
(2016-08-29, 23:04)Grinsekatze Wrote: I'm playing amovie atm. from my external disc and seems as if it goes well.

But my movie collection doesn't fit on a single disc (that's why i use a dataserver Wink ).

So now what can I do to stabilize the playback via Network?

I use nfs already. my Server / Workstation (atm.) is connected via 1000 Mbit. The Pi only is capable of 100 Mbit.

Edit:
I found an article dealing with the Pi bandwith: http://www.jeffgeerling.com/blogs/jeff-g...networking
So maybe I should buy one Adapter myself.

100Mbs Ethernet should be fine for Blu-ray (the 2D spec has a max bitrate of 50Mbs for sound and vision AIUI - possibly a bit more for 3D) Sure there is some overhead, but AIUI 100Mbs should be fine for Blu-ray. I play Blu-rays from my SMB server to a Pi 3 with no problems - though not regularly as my Chromebox is still my regular viewing solution. (Pi 3 is for secondary viewing and 3D)

Might be worth posting in the Raspberry Pi specific forum here - as there is a lot of expertise there. Suspect it is something that can be solved without buying an external USB3/GigE adaptor
Could be a caching issue, look up the cache wiki. I had to change the way it cached on my pi2 and never had buffering after
According to a tipp I got here (http://powerpi.de/die-besten-performance...erfahrung/) I made an advancedsettings.xml:
Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <network>
        <buffermode>1</buffermode>
        <cachemembuffersize>157286400</cachemembuffersize>
        <readbufferfactor>5</readbufferfactor>
    </network>
    <pvr>
        <minvideocachelevel>30</minvideocachelevel>
        <minaudiocachelevel>30</minaudiocachelevel>
    </pvr>
    <showexitbutton>false</showexitbutton>
</advancedsettings>

I changed the the buffersize for testing purposes now to 314572800.

Edit:
Seems as if ist working now. A Movie is running since an hour without buffering. Though the Movie start takes longer now.
(2016-08-30, 19:02)Grinsekatze Wrote: Seems as if ist working now. A Movie is running since an hour without buffering. Though the Movie start takes longer now.
I think the buffer fills before playback starts - hence the delay.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi 3 laggs while playing Bluray iso0