• 7(current)
Philips 6501 - Passthrough problems
(2017-04-02, 13:28)Etzi Wrote: Interesting, as I have 0 stuttering with this new version, older one stuttered as hell when "Sync playback to display" was enabled.
I would not expect DTS passtrough, it is ARC limitation not firmware one, I do expect AC3 bitrate limit to be fixed as it is just an artificial limitation.

Also, SPDIF/ARC can passthrough DTS without a hitch; the official philips media player preinstalled within the fw can do it as well.

It's a problem of them using their own APIs, and not standardized google ones.
(2017-04-02, 14:23)Jinx1337 Wrote: Also, SPDIF/ARC can passthrough DTS without a hitch; the official philips media player preinstalled within the fw can do it as well.

It's a problem of them using their own APIs, and not standardized google ones.

It actually depends on ARC implementation, but in this case your assumption is correct... Wink
Anyways, my point still stands.
Posting on Philips forums does nothing.
KODI stutters like crazy (one semi-micro stutter, sometimes losing audio) every minute.

Works fine when not transcoding to AC3; tried all options available.
4k UHD HDR vids stuttering like crazy.

Can't downgrade through ADB as the TV does not boot up properly, even when wiping cache before and after. Had to go back to x.188.12.
What TV set do you have?

I am really screwed and stuck with official PHILIPS media player, without all the jazz of KODI LIBRARY, SUBTITLES through NFS/SAMBA etc.
Little to say, I am pretty furious.

I believe I found similiar notions of people upgrading their SONY BRAVAS to marshmallow and something about KODI not utilizing libsomething codec through a JAVA wrapper anymore - here, on these forums.
Any idea on how to fix my issues, or am I fucked and forced to fork out for NVIDIA SHIELD? :/
(2017-04-02, 17:36)Jinx1337 Wrote: Posting on Philips forums does nothing.

Wrong, it got me moderated...and my posts about audio and API issues deleted... Big Grin

(2017-04-02, 17:36)Jinx1337 Wrote: What TV set do you have?

Philips 55PUS6561, with "famous" MTK5890

(2017-04-02, 17:36)Jinx1337 Wrote: I believe I found similiar notions of people upgrading their SONY BRAVAS to marshmallow and something about KODI not utilizing libsomething codec through a JAVA wrapper anymore - here, on these forums.

Go figure, if the chipset is exactly the same and most of the firmware low level parts... Wink
(2017-04-02, 17:36)Jinx1337 Wrote: I believe I found similiar notions of people upgrading their SONY BRAVAS to marshmallow and something about KODI not utilizing libsomething codec through a JAVA wrapper anymore - here, on these forums.
errrrr........ What? MM on SONY actually fixed that 640kbps AC3 and I didn't notice anything else wrong. What worked before, still works on MM. Apart from the fact that KODI don't ask and so can't get the permission to write anywhere outside of its own folder. But that we knew bofore.
MM update mostly broke how the TV (android) handles USB drives but as far as KODI goes it's OK.
(2017-04-02, 18:30)kinggo Wrote:
errrrr........ What? MM on SONY actually fixed that 640kbps AC3 and I didn't notice anything else wrong. What worked before, still works on MM. Apart from the fact that KODI don't ask and so can't get the permission to write anywhere outside of its own folder. But that we knew bofore.
MM update mostly broke how the TV (android) handles USB drives but as far as KODI goes it's OK.

I could try and dig up the post I found later on.
I envy you. My KODI is now useless (for someone who cannot stand stutters).
OK; so I tested a little bit more.

Switching to SPMC instead made it KIND OFF work; no more stuttering, but is drops audio once every 2-3 minutes for a milisecond.

So definately something with the MEDIATEK drivers and transcoding; KODI stutters the whole video instead,

Trying SPMC with both SYNC TO VIDEO, VSYNC ON AND OFF etc.

Trying to perphaps pinpoint the culprit...
All options tested; SPMC gives me dropped sound during transcoding for half a sec every 1-3 minutes or so.

Any help would be appreciated.
Did you try to reset your TV?

Obviosly something is screwed up in your system as I don't have anykind of stuttering present when using transcoding.

And please, stop spamming into every other thread about your issue, it won't help to reslove it.
Sorry for 'spamming'; reckoned more posts in the appropriate thread could get me more feedback (since the threads were relevant and touched upon Philips Android TV issues at some point).

Anyways, will try to wipe cache/restore factory defaults/reinstall the tv once I get home.

It seems that there is much less optimization since I have updated to 6.0.

I.E. - UHD 4k HDR vid can nicely play in SMBC (not so much in regular KODI), but once I enabled sync to display it stutters constantly (as if the CPU couldn't handle both the playback and transcoding).

Regular movies give me audio drop out for half a second once 1-3 minutes, as mentioned (with both SYNC enabled and disabled) on a passthrough SPDIF to my amp.
Well, idea behind this is simple as Kodi version is the same and TV firmware is not, there's most likely something not functioning quite properly.

And as I and @kinggo don't seem to have that issue, it looks more or less like screwed install.
Also, posting Debug Log would not hurt, so Kodi dev's can chime in if necessary Wink

Anyway, Philips once again has proven, that they are the worst SmartTV Manufacturer on the planet from the software side.
What TV sets do you have? FW ver QM163E_U_0.6.188.12?
(2017-04-03, 08:42)Jinx1337 Wrote: What TV sets do you have? FW ver QM163E_U_0.6.188.12?

(2017-04-02, 18:16)Etzi Wrote: Philips 55PUS6561, with "famous" MTK5890

So yes (same platform, same firmware as yours), @kinggo has Sony with same chipset and generally speaking has same issues.
Sony firmware has improved though, but as chipset part is the same, I do really expect those fixes coming to Philips as well.
@Jinx1337, you could try and limit the Kodi Audio - Resample Quality to Low (Fast)

Would that limit the AC3 bitrate even further down from DTS?

Will try and report back tho.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Philips 6501 - Passthrough problems1