• 9(current)
Philips 6501 - Passthrough problems
Vendors should not announce capabilities they don't implement.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Quote:Vendors should not announce capabilities they don't implement.
They don't via getEncodings method. Are you sure that checking the constants in AudioFormat is supposed to tell you the HW capabilities? I would assume that every Nougat defines the IEC constant for example. It is like checking the API level...

What if you have several audio devices like S/PDIF, HDMI, HDMI ARC, HDMI eARC? S/PDIF for sure won't be able to handle True HD for example. getEncodings will tell you the capabilities per device. Those "Global" constants tell you nothing except for what Android itself supports. But not what the HW supports.
Thank you for that response.

It it this log that tell me that IEC API is chosen?
"DEBUG: AESinkAUDIOTrack: Using IEC PT mode: 13"

I cant find my Philips version anywhere on philips site. but apperently I received it.
"
NOTICE: Kodi compiled Aug 22 2017 by GCC 4.9.0 for Android ARM 32-bit API level 21 (API level 21)
NOTICE: Running on PHILIPS QM163E with Android 7.1.2 API level 25, kernel: Linux ARM 32-bit version 3.10.79
"
Quote:It it this log that tell me that IEC API is chosen?
"DEBUG: AESinkAUDIOTrack: Using IEC PT mode: 13"
Exactly. That's where things start to fail.
Use the IsSupported method and save the result as a member as I have done it for Float. Back at the time when IEC format was made public by google, there was no vendor not implementing it when releasing updated fw, so no workaround was needed. This was > 1 year ago.

Now those that were broken before bump and don't make use of API advantages while still using similar private hacks in their internal players. No eBay in your country?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I totally agree that it is sad that MediaTek is not adapting to public APIs.

But it is still a Kodi bug that it uses IEC even though the HW API clearly states that it does not support it. Making a decision based on those constants is just wrong. And you know that.
(2017-09-28, 20:19)CiNcH Wrote: I totally agree that it is sad that MediaTek is not adapting to public APIs.

But it is still a Kodi bug that it uses IEC even though the HW API clearly states that it does not support it. Making a decision based on those constants is just wrong. And you know that.

Obviously clear. Please implement what I suggested, will be 5 lines of code until the other approach will be ready.
Yes. I know this approach of making an API call with a certain encoding and fall back in case it fails... I am still on Marshmallow so IEC is a non-issue for me...
(2017-09-28, 20:31)CiNcH Wrote: Yes. I know this approach of making an API call with a certain encoding and fall back in case it fails... I am still on Marshmallow so IEC is a non-issue for me...

We code to improve life of everyone, our own getting better is a side effect :-)

(I am on holidays without a laptop, that's why I don't do it myself)
(2017-09-27, 18:55)Nednil Wrote: I have a Philips 55pus6561 and I received android 7.1.2 a couple of days ago.
Philips version QM163E.0.15.176.3

And now No passthrough seems to working anymore, with the same settings as before and kodi 17.4
Have anyone else received this version?
and have the same issues´?

Hello, guys. Any news regarding the issue?
How Kodi works with the newest Philips Nougat FW in general?
Have some of the described bugs related to Kodi and other side apps been fixed (inc. passthrough and HW decoding)?
Could you please email me to share your experience with the new FW? Because I have 6501 model and it seems the FW distribution is rather slow and no idea of what to expect, because Philips doesn't provide rollback to the previous FW version.
Latest Kodi Leia (18) nightlies fix the IEC passthrough issue for MediaTek Nougat based firmware. @fritsch also pushed the fixes to Kodi Krypton. So new Philips Nougat firmware should also work with the upcoming Kodi Krypton 17.5 concerning passthrough, at least for Dolby AC3. DTS is still broken unless you use PCM hack.

PCM hack was not affected by the IEC API issues, so if that worked before the firmware update, it should still work afterwards.
Isn't there a way to somehow query how the Philips Media Player plays back DTS and implement into KODI?

This is getting bothersome; we keep harassing Philips their forums, but that's that...
Won't happen. Kodi only follows standard APIs for the very reason of code maintainability. Manufacturers need to fix this stuff. If they don't, people should not buy it.
(2017-10-16, 14:29)CiNcH Wrote: Won't happen. Kodi only follows standard APIs for the very reason of code maintainability. Manufacturers need to fix this stuff. If they don't, people should not buy it.

I wouldn't mind a third party hacked built, kind of like the shitty version...
Lots of people of MEDIATEK based devices (e.g. SONY/ANDROID tv users)...

Sigh, well - at least people keep complaining on the Philips forums.
Not sure about Sony tho.
Quote: Not sure about Sony tho.

Don't worry. I am doing that. Actually most MediaTek related issues reported on Philips communities are taken from my Sony Android TV bug tracker.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Philips 6501 - Passthrough problems1