Linux XBMC and OpenWRT
Is there any interest in getting XBMC to run on a modded Linksys/Netgear/etc set top box?

OpenWRT is an open source 3rd part firmware for routers, so firmware for video devices is a natural move. With Linux XBMC, there could be disto specifically for set top boxes.

Something to think about...
Isn't OpenWRT especially for routers and because of that contains mostly router functions? Why should those two marry? Shouldn't a multimedia software come together with a slick multimedia distro?
Unbehagen Wrote:Isn't OpenWRT especially for routers and because of that contains mostly router functions? Why should those two marry? Shouldn't a multimedia software come together with a slick multimedia distro?

Not so much routers as much as embedded devices where stability and disk space are a concern. My idea it to put XBMC on something like a Netgear EVA700. For that, a distro for embedded platforms is important.

There actually aren't that many routing functions built into OpenWRT. Mainly, there are kernel options that are shut off so it's lightweight.
exobyte Wrote:My idea it to put XBMC on something like a Netgear EVA700. For that, a distro for embedded platforms is important.

The Netgear doesn't do HiDef. You may as well use a chipped XBox.
AppleTV, or MacMini may be a better choice.

I think the developers are concentrating on getting XBMC to work on a standard X86 Linux platform, and then spinoff projects, such as AppleTV and PS3 will follow.

Video drivers are the biggest problem - mpeg2 is about the only thing thats accelerated in the Linux. Hopefully something will come out of Nvidia, ATI or Intel soon.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux XBMC and OpenWRT0