Alienware Alpha / Hivemind Users?
Yeah! Big fan of Reddit. Just subscribed over there and posted my first question...

https://www.reddit.com/r/AlienwareAlpha/...h=a1a68c72
Any news on if Dell is planning on updating hivemind to Krypton?
I don't think so. I bought mine a year ago and at that time I was told alienware alphas were being discontinued.
So I would be surprised if they keep releasing updates for it. The only reason they might do it is for the laptops but I am not entirely sure laptops had the same package in the first place.
(2017-02-08, 18:09)ozkhan1 Wrote: I don't think so. I bought mine a year ago and at that time I was told alienware alphas were being discontinued.
So I would be surprised if they keep releasing updates for it. The only reason they might do it is for the laptops but I am not entirely sure laptops had the same package in the first place.

That sux. Oh well my system is working pretty good right now but if would be better if they updated hivemind to kodi 17.
You can do it yourself install Kodi 17 and it overwrites the existing install
(2017-02-08, 22:08)ozkhan1 Wrote: You can do it yourself install Kodi 17 and it overwrites the existing install

Can you elaborate? Will I be able to run Kodi 17 in console mode? How can I do this? Do I need to copy and paste from Kodi install to alienware console install? Similar to running console in desktop mode?
Hi all that are still following this....
As per a reddit post a couple days ago. Hivemind has been discontinued and no longer being developed for Kodi Krypton Sad

They gave some nice recognition to the Kodi team, but said the Windows and Kodi changes were just too much and have since moved on to other projects.
(2017-03-21, 02:14)pauly3069 Wrote: Hi all that are still following this....
As per a reddit post a couple days ago. Hivemind has been discontinued and no longer being developed for Kodi Krypton Sad

They gave some nice recognition to the Kodi team, but said the Windows and Kodi changes were just too much and have since moved on to other projects.

That sux! They sounded so committed to Kodi, that's why I bought the machine. I won't be buying anything else from Dell. Thanks for the information. So far I am pleased with laucher4kodi. If I can solve the volume control problem it would be perfect.
If you install Kodi krypton as an admin on the machine, you can still use hive mind. You may have to fiddle with some of the menu options a bit but krypton installs on the hive mind account as well
(2017-03-21, 15:48)ozkhan1 Wrote: If you install Kodi krypton as an admin on the machine, you can still use hive mind. You may have to fiddle with some of the menu options a bit but krypton installs on the hive mind account as well

I am not sure what you mean. Have you installed 17 over hivemind? Could you detail what you did to get it working?
Every use case is different, I don't use my Alienware as a media center. It is my personal desktop and I use it to stream pc games to my shield. I have never actually played a pc game directly on mine.

That being said, I was fiddling around with it a few weeks back, I decided to test out hive mind with Kodi. The way it works is it creates a separate user account in windows and then the pc boots directly into that account. All you have accessible to use is the Kodi interface which allows you to launch pc games as well. I did not find it very appealing since I use mine for other stuff. In any case I noticed that when I installed krypton, it over wrote the install directory for hive mind Kodi and the next time I loggedd in with the hive mind account, it was krypton and not Jarvis.

I was still able to access hive mind addons under configuration so that told me much of that functionality was still available.

I am sorry I can't provide more info because it was a while back and I uninstalled it from my alpha afterwards. So my memory is a bit fuzzy
I have one and really enjoy it, but I hooked it up to a 4k TV and have been stuck with 30hz in progressive mode ever since. I know the HDMI version doesn't support 60hz at 4k, but now when I go back to 1080p which is the resolution I want as default it's stuck at 1080p 30hz, not 1080p 60hz.

Just to get back to 60hz I either have to go into interlace mode (1080i) or load a game that switches resolutions, this seems to bring it back to 60hz in game and once I quit the game I'm nicely still in 60hz. Unfortunately once I power down and then power back up I'm back in 1080p at 30hz, not 60hz.

Not sure why but the Hivemind interface doesn't seem to have a refresh rate changing setting, just resolution. Anyone experience this or know about Hivemind enough to switch my refresh rate back permanently?
Ok I think I fixed my refresh rate problem. What fixed it was I went with a lower progressive resolution. I think it was 1024p and it went with 60hz as the refresh rate. After this I went with 1080p and it kept the 60hz refresh. I shut down and powered up and it kept the 60hz refresh rate.
(2016-11-22, 01:55)dickalan Wrote: Hmmmm... if you have the i7 than you might have the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX960 GPU as shown here:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productde...n%E2%80%8B

& here:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productde...r2-console

However, if you have the i3 like OP stated, than there is a good chance you have the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX GPU 2GB GDDR5 --which is basically an Nvidia 860M GPU. ---So I guess that's what I'm really curious to know, does the 860M handle 4K video?
I have the i7 version.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Alienware Alpha / Hivemind Users?1