Digital Audio Help Suggestions
I have no .asoundrc and I got Dolby and DTS audio. This was really easy to setup, just changed that setting in xbmc to digital output and enabled dolby & dts receiver Smile
I still seem to be having issues, here is the output from my aplay -L

cards 'cards.pcm'
front 'cards.pcm.front'
rear 'cards.pcm.rear'
center_lfe 'cards.pcm.center_lfe'
side 'cards.pcm.side'
surround40 'cards.pcm.surround40'
surround41 'cards.pcm.surround41'
surround50 'cards.pcm.surround50'
surround51 'cards.pcm.surround51'
surround71 'cards.pcm.surround71'
iec958 'cards.pcm.iec958'
spdif 'cards.pcm.iec958'
modem 'cards.pcm.modem'
phoneline 'cards.pcm.phone

in xbmc i enable digital and name the 2 defaults to iec958, now I dont get any audio coming out at all.

any thoughts?
-------------
I Bare It All -Personal Blog
gateway69 Wrote:I still seem to be having issues, here is the output from my aplay -L

cards 'cards.pcm'
front 'cards.pcm.front'
rear 'cards.pcm.rear'
center_lfe 'cards.pcm.center_lfe'
side 'cards.pcm.side'
surround40 'cards.pcm.surround40'
surround41 'cards.pcm.surround41'
surround50 'cards.pcm.surround50'
surround51 'cards.pcm.surround51'
surround71 'cards.pcm.surround71'
iec958 'cards.pcm.iec958'
spdif 'cards.pcm.iec958'
modem 'cards.pcm.modem'
phoneline 'cards.pcm.phone

in xbmc i enable digital and name the 2 defaults to iec958, now I dont get any audio coming out at all.

any thoughts?

here is some additional output from xbmc debug log

-------
CDVDPlayerVideo - Stillframe detected, switching to forced 23.979143 fps
OnKey: 224 pressed, action is 13
CDVDPlayer::CloseFile()
CDVDPlayer::OnExit()
DVDPlayer: closing audio stream
Closing audio stream
waiting for audio thread to exit
AddPackets - More bytes left than can be stored in buffer
GetDelay - snd_pcm_delay, alsa error: Input/output error
CDVDPlayerAudio:: Resync - clock:0.000000, delay:-21359.375001
Closing audio device
CALSADirectSound:Big Grineinitialize
CALSADirectSound() dtor
CALSADirectSound:Big Grineinitialize
-------------
Hi there,

I also have had some trouble with 5.1 audio. I had to go into the alsamixer to un-mute the iec958 and then I was able to manage stereo audio.

I have also updated the audio section to have iec958 listed instead of "default".

Whenever I play a source with 5.1 audio, the video framerate slows to a crawl and playback eventually stops.

I do hear GUI & MP3 audio through the s/pdif, so it seems limited to AC3/DD.

Any suggestions?

-- Phob

PS - This is a brilliant effort - thanks!
I'm also suffering from slow frame rate now since I got 5.1 and pass though working, and im also seeing some page tearing now in my videos.
-------------
I had XBMC working well with digital audio and outputting 1080i via component.
About 2 or 3 days ago I started getting the video slow down and page tearing.
After much hair pulling I rebuilt Gutsy and still had the problem.
I found the problem resolved itself when I reinstalled the video drivers. (restricted nvidia)
I had the problem even on a fresh install if I installed the video drivers before giving gutsy all its updates. Install last or reinstall and see how it goes.

snappz
what driver are you using and are you using envy to install them?

if not, can you point me to a good walk though for installing the drivers w/o envy..
-------------
I just used the restricted driver manager. I dont use envy, but setting it up has been a slow process. But then I know very little about linux Smile

My video card is PCIe nvidia 6600 gt using latest nvidia restricted driver
1 LCD monitor at 1024x768
1 KVHR36 Sony TV at 1080i

I've only recently got it to a stage that video playback is acceptable. (The last step I needed to do was enable Vsync on video playback in XBMC.

Have you got Mplayer installed as a seperate app? If not install and see if that plays back ok.
hmm i dont see the option in xbmc to enable vsync. ?

btw what cpu are you using?
-------------
setting is in Settings -> Appearance -> screen -> Vertical Blanc Sync

P4 3ghz (HT)
1.256 GB ram

Plays most things ok including 1080i TS. Struggles a bit with x264 (drops a few frames etc)

Couldnt play a 1080p wmv with dts well at all. Only a few frames a second.

But I am still going through and tweeking video settings in xorg.conf and using different deinterlace and render methods.
I've posted the steps I've used for enabling SPDIF pass-through and analog->SPDIF PCM here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=29131
I have two XBMC/Linux installations now, both on Core2Duo systems, one with an 8600GT and an X-Mystique sound card, the other with a 7600 GT and a Sondigo Inferno sound card, both systems running Ubuntu 7.10 pretty much standard but both upgraded to ALSA 1.0.16 (required on the Sondigo system since the card isn't supported with alsa 1.0.14).

The system with the 7600 GT / Sondigo Inferno has no noticable problems at all with digital audio, I have both passthrough and non-passthrough going to to my spdif port and then out to my audio receiver and the sound works perfectly and movies play correctly. On the 8600/X-Mystique box, the same videos play way too fast and there is no audio output coming out of XBMC when playing movies (I do get sound in the XBMC menus, and from other audio-capable Linux programs, though). I played around with alsamixer to see if any switches or volume settings there would fix things, but no luck yet. If anyone has seen something like this before and fixed it, I'd love to hear about. I'm going to keep tinkering myself though and I find out what the issue is on the one box, I'll post here again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Digital Audio Help Suggestions0