[Release] Lifx Ambilight Addon for Kodi
After searching for a while for ways to control my LifX-Z strips using Kodi, I finally decided to install and try out this Addon. I have to say, it does most of what I would want. And it works great! So much fun to have the Theatre option. It adds a lot of useable functionality to my lighting ambiance when I pause or stop a movie. Thank you to the developer for this great Addon! I am running it on Kodi 17.6 on Windows 10, FYI.

I did have a few questions...

-Once in a while, when I start Kodi, it doesn't find my lights. But usually after a restart or two, it will. Not sure if this is a bug, or just my wi-fi not connecting before Kodi is launched or something?
-Is there a way to define sections of the screen for different lights? I can't figure out where it's grabbing the colors from for different lights.
-I know you mentioned multi-zone functionality being on the list for future updates. Any idea when we can look forward to this?

Thanks!
Looks like the Add-On was just updated today. It says the 1.0.7 fix has fixed lights not dimming on initial playback. Although, for me, it was working fine in 1.0.6 and now 1.0.7 has broken it all. They won't dim at all. Is there something I need to do? Uninstall it? Why would this release totally break all functionality? Can I roll back to 1.0.6? I was actually enjoying using this add-on, despite it not always finding my lights. But please let us know what's happening with its development.
For my its broken to.. dont find any bulbs.

:/

How i can return to previous/working version ?
(2019-03-26, 21:35)Subxero Wrote: For my its broken to.. dont find any bulbs.

:/

How i can return to previous/working version ?
I fixed editing %APPDATA%\Kodi\addons\script.kodi.lifx.ambilight\resources\lib\lifxlan\device.py

python:
def get_broadcast_addr():
    broadcast = "192.168.0.255"
    return broadcast

Now every time that I start Kodi founds the bulbs at directly without any problems

Please change get_broadcast_addr function or try to use a custom variable for these matter.

B.R.
This all worked perfectly until I updated to 1.0.7 . Now it can't seem to find my lifx z led strip. Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue or what might be causing it?
Hey Guys, I had a friend of mine ( Dima ) make modifications to this addon. If you have a lifX Z strip and 4 strip sections you can use that on the back of your tv and it will change colors for all sides for the image shown. I will post it soon for everyone to use, including some video of it working. It works pretty well and makes the lifx more like a custom ambilight setup.
(2019-11-07, 20:53)QuincyR Wrote: Hey Guys, I had a friend of mine ( Dima ) make modifications to this addon. If you have a lifX Z strip and 4 strip sections you can use that on the back of your tv and it will change colors for all sides for the image shown. I will post it soon for everyone to use, including some video of it working. It works pretty well and makes the lifx more like a custom ambilight setup.
Looking forward to it! Will there be a way to specify regions of the screen and assign them to LifX Z Strip sections? I have a projector with a 8' screen, and my LifX Z strips are below the screen. So I'd like to define the bottom left and right sections of the screen to sample colors from. Hopefully the new update will be that flexible.
(2019-11-07, 20:53)QuincyR Wrote: Hey Guys, I had a friend of mine ( Dima ) make modifications to this addon. If you have a lifX Z strip and 4 strip sections you can use that on the back of your tv and it will change colors for all sides for the image shown. I will post it soon for everyone to use, including some video of it working. It works pretty well and makes the lifx more like a custom ambilight setup.
@QuincyR keep us in the loop, please!
I was having an issue with this addon where the video would stutter and I'd get a black screen when using the remote control to adjust the volume or get to the context menu. I eventually worked out it was only on some videos, then realised it was conflicting with the hardware acceleration.

Currently I have all hardware acceleration off, but just wondering if anyone else is having this issue or if that behaviour is to be expected. I'm running Kodi on a Raspberry PI but it doesn't normally stutter or slow down for any reason.
(2019-12-23, 00:02)PiGuyKindaGuy Wrote: I was having an issue with this addon where the video would stutter and I'd get a black screen when using the remote control to adjust the volume or get to the context menu. I eventually worked out it was only on some videos, then realised it was conflicting with the hardware acceleration.

Currently I have all hardware acceleration off, but just wondering if anyone else is having this issue or if that behaviour is to be expected. I'm running Kodi on a Raspberry PI but it doesn't normally stutter or slow down for any reason.

Okay, I think I've resolved this by setting "Adjust display refresh rate" to always. Previously this was off. Now I'm able to use MMAL hardware acceleration without the stuttering when accessing the context menu, etc during playback.
Just a heads up for anyone who might be in the same boat as me: I recently redid my theater room and bought some Lifx BR30 bulbs, only to discover that this plugin and anything else using the lifxlan library do not work with the newest revision of the A19s, BR30s, and other recently-updated Lifx products. After a lot of digging and tearing my hair out in frustration, I discovered the reason for this is that the products.py file included in lifxlan has not been updated with the latest product IDs to include these new bulbs. Once added to the py file, they seem to work with this plugin just fine.

So, I generated a new products.py file with the updated product IDs for myself and thought I'd share it here in case it helps anyone out and spares them a massive headache trying to get their new lights set up. Just copy and paste and overwrite the current resources/lib/lifxlan/products.py file in the plugin folder. harct, if you are still doing any maintenance on this addon, feel free to use this as well. Thanks for your work in creating it in the first place!

Link: rajidenima (paste)
Anyway to get this add-on to work on Kodi 19 Matrix?
(2021-05-19, 14:27)stamatis87 Wrote: Anyway to get this add-on to work on Kodi 19 Matrix?

I came here for the same question. I just updated to Matrix, and was very sad to see this plugin is no longer supported. Any chance on getting an update?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Release] Lifx Ambilight Addon for Kodi2