Bug Crashes when trying to resume playback of x265 from time X
(2017-04-25, 08:35)TroyMcLure Wrote: Good morning,

(2017-04-20, 09:30)AnthonyB Wrote: I've tried 4 different Intel drivers going back as far as late 2015 and they all crash:

Driver version: 20.19.15.4624
Driver date: 8/03/2017

Driver version: 20.19.15.4444
Driver date: 22/04/2016

Driver version: 20.19.15.4331
Driver date: 20/11/2015

Driver version: 20.19.15.4300
Driver date: 01/10/2015

I also had this crashing problems with my Intel 5500HD NUC.

But yesterday I updated the Intel Drivers from V:20.19.15.4501 to V.20.19.15.4624 and that did the trick.

I have an HD 5500 (NUC5I3RYH) and have tried the driver V.20.19.15.4624 with no success (I've tried all the driver versions mentioned above). Did you maybe do something else that that got it working?
(2017-04-26, 15:26)Com_DAC Wrote: I have an HD 5500 (NUC5I3RYH) and have tried the driver V.20.19.15.4624 with no success (I've tried all the driver versions mentioned above). Did you maybe do something else that that got it working?

Stupid me... I just wanted to do some deeper testing but noticed that I already replaced the HEVC file by an H.264 file with the same name. So the resuming did work, of course.

I immediately tested another HEVC video and unfortunately the resume function crashed Kodi. My debugger says it's in igd11dxva32.dll which is related to Intel's graphic driver.

Sorry for the wrong information. Now I'm depressed Confused
Smile 
(2017-04-26, 09:19)mamachan Wrote: Same issue on my system with HEVC h265
WIN 7 PRO 64bit
Intel i3-4330 HD4600
DXVA2 = ON

I solved the problem simply with this settings Rofl

- render DXVA
- use DXVA2 = OFF
- adjust display refresh rate = OFF (but i don't think it is necessary)
(2017-04-27, 18:27)mamachan Wrote:
WIN 7 PRO 64bit
Intel i3-4330 HD4600
DXVA2 = ON

- render DXVA
- use DXVA2 = OFF

That does fix it but with DXVA2 turned off your cpu usage will be quite a bit higher. What most of us would like is a way to keep DXVA2 turned on to lower CPU. Also some of the newer 10bit HEVC 1080p files studder on my NUC with DXVA2 turned off. With it turned on the video plays silky smooth just don't try to resume Sad
(2017-04-27, 21:32)Com_DAC Wrote:
(2017-04-27, 18:27)mamachan Wrote:
WIN 7 PRO 64bit
Intel i3-4330 HD4600
DXVA2 = ON

- render DXVA
- use DXVA2 = OFF

That does fix it but with DXVA2 turned off your cpu usage will be quite a bit higher. What most of us would like is a way to keep DXVA2 turned on to lower CPU. Also some of the newer 10bit HEVC 1080p files studder on my NUC with DXVA2 turned off. With it turned on the video plays silky smooth just don't try to resume Sad
No, CPU is around 24/30%
Same issue. Doesn't look like Kodi will have a fix and I can bet Intel won't either. It has been this way for 2 years now.

Windows 8
Intel HD 4600
Bug observed by me too. (All videos - not just x265)

System: Krypton, Win 10 64bit, i5 4440, Intel® HD Graphics 4400, 12 GB RAM

As a work around, I get the actual resume time, resume from 00:00 and manually seek to actual resume time.
Just want to chime in and say I just experienced it (i7 6770HQ). From the look of this thread, a solution doesn't seem around the horizon.
kodi devs refuse to fix it because they claim it's not their job to fix it ... i kind of disagree for three reasons: (1) the crash does not happen in other players for the same file, e.g. MPC, (2) the crash doesn't happen in other apps using intel graphics drivers, and (3) given intel doesn't give a shit as they have billions (?) of people using their (other) products, the kodi dev team should give a shit about their users since this crash problem is now old and affecting every kodi user on windows watching this kind of movies on intel graphics

the kodi devs are very talented individuals ... i'm sure it's not a huge effort ... intel won't do it and the ones who continue to suffer are us, the users
(2017-07-12, 06:23)normadize Wrote: kodi devs refuse to fix it because they claim it's not their job to fix it ... i kind of disagree for three reasons: (1) the crash does not happen in other players for the same file, e.g. MPC, (2) the crash doesn't happen in other apps using intel graphics drivers, and (3) given intel doesn't give a shit as they have billions (?) of people using their (other) products, the kodi dev team should give a shit about their users since this crash problem is now old and affecting every kodi user on windows watching this kind of movies on intel graphics

the kodi devs are very talented individuals ... i'm sure it's not a huge effort ... intel won't do it and the ones who continue to suffer are us, the users

I completely disagree. Just because Intel won't fix their issue, doesn't mean the onus should be put on Kodi developers. They've clearly explained that this is a problem in the intel driver in combination with DXVA2 on DX11/12. The reason it doesn't happen with other players is they're way behind on using an up to date version of DX. As soon as they update, they'll have the problem too. The Kodi developers are all volunteers, they don't get paid to put up with other vendors' problems. As you said, "Intel has billions" to fix their own mistakes!

If we want a fix, we need to push Intel harder with the clear root cause analysis the Kodi devs have graciously provided us.

EDIT: If we ask nicely, maybe a developer could help us put together a clear concise bug report for Intel regarding this crash. Laying out all the crash details and how to reproduce. It's in Intel's best interest to fix this problem as I and just about everyone else here probably won't be using Intel in their next HTPC if this doesn't get fixed. HEVC is becoming more and more mainstream, I'm sure over the next year or two Netflix/Hulu/Prime and other big name video apps will start to have problems.
(2017-07-15, 17:09)xbmcoholic Wrote: this is a problem in the intel driver in combination with DXVA2 on DX11/12.

If it was a problem with intel+dxva2 then all players would crash for the same file. Right now all players work fine (at least the ones I tried), except Kodi.

The attitude "it's intel's problem, we won't fix it for them" will simply not get anywhere and, as I said, all users will continue to suffer. That's just silly and unnecessary (it doesn't put any pressure on Intel either).

I've donated to Kodi many times, and I donated again just now, this time mentioning my forum username (just in case) ... I'm running out of ways to persuade the devs to do something. The current attitude of refusal isn't helping anyone, quite the contrary.

Could one of these talented kodi devs please implement at least a workaround for this. It's becoming increasingly annoying and problematic since more and more content is switching to x265
(2017-07-15, 18:22)normadize Wrote:
(2017-07-15, 17:09)xbmcoholic Wrote: this is a problem in the intel driver in combination with DXVA2 on DX11/12.

If it was a problem with intel+dxva2 then all players would crash for the same file. Right now all players work fine (at least the ones I tried), except Kodi.

The attitude "it's intel's problem, we won't fix it for them" will simply not get anywhere and, as I said, all users will continue to suffer. That's just silly and unnecessary (it doesn't put any pressure on Intel either).

I've donated to Kodi many times, and I donated again just now, this time mentioning my forum username (just in case) ... I'm running out of ways to persuade the devs to do something. The current attitude of refusal isn't helping anyone, quite the contrary.

Could one of these talented kodi devs please implement at least a workaround for this. It's becoming increasingly annoying and problematic since more and more content is switching to x265

As it was already said, most other players use DX9 while kodi use DX11

If there is a bug in intel driver with DXVA2+DX11, other player won't have it

And the bug is not on kodi's side as it works with nvidia or AMD GPUs
Moanbag is in da place!
Maybe we could move this thread over to https://communities.intel.com

EDIT: Did my best for now, hopefully they'll be interested https://communities.intel.com/message/487487#487487
(2017-04-27, 21:46)mamachan Wrote:
(2017-04-27, 21:32)Com_DAC Wrote:
(2017-04-27, 18:27)mamachan Wrote: I solved the problem simply with this settings Rofl

- render DXVA
- use DXVA2 = OFF

No, CPU is around 24/30%

Confirmed work-around - Leaving DXVA as the render method but disabling DXVA2 hardware acceleration seems to prevent crashing. Comparing cpu utilization before and after I didnt notice a change. It's likely my hardware doesn't even support DXVA2 anyways and this is just a solid fix to avoid an issue Intel didn't tie off properly in the driver.

Just testing with a 1080p HEVC video, I doubt my hardware could handle 4K. I'm able to playback 1440p Youtube content but completely choke on 2160p.
Thanks for chiming in on the Intel forum @Com_DAC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Crashes when trying to resume playback of x265 from time X1