BUG - Crashes when trying to resume playback of x265 from time X

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Com_DAC Offline
@xbmcoholic anything that might help get this issue resolved Smile

Anyone else here having this issue please chime in on the intel forum @ https://communities.intel.com/thread/116386 The more people that add to that post the more likely intel might pay attention.
(This post was last modified: 2017-07-19 16:58 by Com_DAC.)
find quote
xbmcoholic Offline
It seems that if you have a 5th (5xxx) Generation Intel CPU or older, having DXVA2 turned on or off should have no performance impact as DXVA2 support isn't introduced until the 6th Generation and up.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/...urces.html

The Intel thread on crashes is still going, they had no crashes on the latest hardware and drivers but were able to replicate the issue on the older driver which is current for my hardware. My gut tells me that they'll probably post an updated driver for the older hardware that makes sure DXVA2 is completely disabled which is essentially the same thing as the work-around of disabling DXVA2 in the advanced Kodi Player settings.

Windows 10 - 64bit
Intel HD Graphics 5500
Intel i5-5200 CPU
4GB RAM
Boxee Remote
find quote
Com_DAC Offline
When I turn on DXVA2 and playback HEVC content it uses quite noticiably less cpu and videos that would stutter with it off run smooth.

With DXVA2 turned off pressing "O" (codec info) while playing a video shows it as software decoding. The DXVA2 turned on pressing "O" it shows it as hardware decoding and shows the lower cpu usage.

If DXVA2 isn't support why does enabling it cause smoother playback and a decrease in cpu usage?
find quote
xbmcoholic Offline
(2017-07-21 22:40)Com_DAC Wrote:  When I turn on DXVA2 and playback HEVC content it uses quite noticiably less cpu and videos that would stutter with it off run smooth.

With DXVA2 turned off pressing "O" (codec info) while playing a video shows it as software decoding. The DXVA2 turned on pressing "O" it shows it as hardware decoding and shows the lower cpu usage.

If DXVA2 isn't support why does enabling it cause smoother playback and a decrease in cpu usage?

Sorry @Com_DAC - I tested a few more times and noticed a little bit of increased CPU usage with Sofware and DXVA only, DXVA2 had a little bit lower CPU utilization but not much. It's probably just the difference between our systems which causes DXVA2 has a much more noticeable impact.

Windows 10 - 64bit
Intel HD Graphics 5500
Intel i5-5200 CPU
4GB RAM
Boxee Remote
find quote
xbmcoholic Offline
Intel has filed a bug related to this now.

Intel bug ID# 1406352370.
They mentioned that future dev work will likely be focused on 6th and 7th gen chips. Can anyone confirm if this happens on 6th gen or is this only a problem with 5th gen which both myself and Com_DAC use?

Windows 10 - 64bit
Intel HD Graphics 5500
Intel i5-5200 CPU
4GB RAM
Boxee Remote
find quote