QNAP to remove Kodi due to License issues
How can we confirm when we've never had any involvement in Qnap's version of Kodi, it's entirely their own thing.
(2016-10-25, 13:40)jjd-uk Wrote: How can we confirm when we've never had any involvement in Qnap's version of Kodi, it's entirely their own thing.

Apologies I thought Martijn had been in touch to confirm why they removed it.
This is the replay that QNAP support gave me past week:

"QNAP has ended support for the following apps and they have been removed from the HD Station:

- KODI / XBMC
- MediaCenter21

Therefore we are unable to provide further assistance regarding these apps.

Additionally, the HD Player application is temporarily removed from the HD Station and will be re-added at a later date. Support for HD Player will continue as normal.

Please see below for some alternative apps to use:

1. Use Linux Station to install a multimedia player in the Ubuntu virtual machine and play video content

2. Use Plex Home Theater (install it in HD Station) to play video content

3. Search online forums for 3rd party multimedia apps for HD Station

We thank you for continuing to use QNAP products.
"
Why exactly did Qnap decided to remove Kodi? I was in the market for a NAS at my new home. Guess what..... It won't be QNap for sure. Or should I say QSnap Smile

Sent from my LG-V490
(2016-10-30, 13:38)gomario Wrote: Why exactly did Qnap decided to remove Kodi?
Obviously, none of us knows because they haven't said, but I've noticed that the applications for download do change from time to time, some appear, others disappear.

After seeing this thread, I did some browsing. On youtube there was a video for using the kodi application, and it seemed to have a lot of add-ons for accessing content. If that was included in the QNAP application, they would have had to remove it because of the "no content" in Kodi. Also, for my models, it was only the older version(s) available and after xbmc could no longer be used by the kodi developers, QNAP would also have to take those older xbmc versions down.

There is a member on their forum who has been providing a qpkg of kodi for members. Obviously not as convenient as just downloading from the QNAP downloads, but you can still use kodi.

Did QNAP ever promise kodi, or just that the nas can play media? If the latter, as long as there are applications to play media, they can change them.
I've got some information from the QNAP support. New QTS 4.3.0 is comming soon and Kodi mentions will be removed. Tech guy don't know why they stop maintaining the Kodi package but they are open for the community support for this thru their QTS platform. This can be also the reason, to maintain just a platform and let the community or other companies make packages. So we need someone to make and maintain Kodi QPKG ...
I bought a QNAP yesterday, and the main reason was kodi :O
Thumbs Down 
Same, just got my QNAP yesterday and got it mainly because of Kodi... :/
FYI - you can get a package of Kodi 17 beta 5 from: https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=320&t=126056
(2016-12-03, 10:06)benj Wrote: FYI - you can get a package of Kodi 17 beta 5 from: https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=320&t=126056

Thanks!!!, I've restored my nas recently and i've noticed that Kodi was out... This version look better, works better and have no lag. I expect that qnap will add this excelent player to nas again...

Greetings!!
You can now get KODI 17 final build from qnapclub.eu. Once you install the shop in your appcenter you can chose KODI and will also get updates.
BTW. some good apps there.

Got me first worried. Only bought my qnap because of kodi. This is now a good solution (i hope).
Qnap Club has the latest Kodi 17 here - http://www.qnapclub.eu/index.php?act=detail&qpkg_id=405
Well, this is not exactly true: this version is the RC3, not the stable one, and also, this version is buggy. VERY BUGGY!!! Definitely not usable at all with continuos crash every now and then.
Fortunately a user on the QNAP forum has recompiled the stable v.17 of Kodi and shared with the users of the forum just before reading about the QNAPClub.eu. After that, he deleted hits release in order to not keep 2 versions of KODI for QNAP so for the lucky guys who have already downloaded that version, kodi 17 is usable again
Now there is kodi 17.1 and no proper qnap version. Linux station the only option now?
(2017-02-24, 20:04)petervdn Wrote: Now there is kodi 17.1 and no proper qnap version. Linux station the only option now?

The best option is to buy a Raspberry Pi Zero W (10$) or a Raspberry Pi 3 (40$) and install Kodi on it then use Kodi to stream your movies from your QNAP. This way KODI will be working forever!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
QNAP to remove Kodi due to License issues3