QNAP to remove Kodi due to License issues
Hi,

There has been a rumour going around that QNAP will remove the Kodi app from their App Centre due to a licensing issue.

I was wondering if anybody else has more information on this from the Kodi and why perhaps it would be now being removed.

Kodi is the main reason I bought a QNAP so I didn't have to use both NAS and HTPC.

Quote:Following a problem License, KODI will be deleted from the AppCenter Sept. 7 if you want to keep this Player, download it quickly !!! on the website Qnap keep maintaining other applications such as HDPlayer and improve. I do not know more at the moment ... a note will be published on the site pending Qnap Father Mande its own version on the Official Forum and Repo, I do not know if it will continue. Last edited by QoolBox September 2, 2016 4:46 p.m., edited 1 time. Stéphane xxxxx - Qn per @!
Don't know why or even if it is the reason, but might be that Qnap thinks they cannot or will not comply with the GPL.

At least as far as I know, the GPL which Kodi is bound under is the only "license" which ought to be applicable in this case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Genera...conditions

GPL just mean that if you make any changes to the source code then you also need to supply those code changes as GPL.

Kodi's name and logo is also trademarked, so you need to comply with Team Kod's rules for redistribution as well.

See => http://kodi.wiki/view/Trademark_policy

Basically, if you make no modifications to code or add any addons at all then you are free to redistribute Kodi as "Kodi".
We have no knowledge of this and as far as we know QNAP doesn't violate our "license" or something. Will ask them to clarify this.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
My bet is on audio. DTS and DD are a couple of bullies.
That would be stupid cause they will still maintain their HD Player which is just a rebranded XBMC version and I doubt they changed ffmpeg compile on it.
Hasn't DD and DTS patents expired? DTS-MA, maybe...
My bet would go to divx, strangely. Mrmc had to remove it for a while due to licensing issues...
(2016-09-05, 16:16)Martijn Wrote: We have no knowledge of this and as far as we know QNAP doesn't violate our "license" or something. Will ask them to clarify this.

Thanks for this Martijn, I'm preying they don't remove it or i'll need to buy more hardware. My QNAP is an all in one box at the moment and handles media for the entire house.

They have already removed playback support for DTS and DD soundtracks when using their inbuilt player so it might be that but like Martjin has already said they have a player called HD Player which is rebranded XBMC. I'd have thought that would need to comply with exact same license as Kodi.
(2016-09-06, 09:40)GTunney Wrote: Thanks for this Martijn, I'm preying they don't remove it or i'll need to buy more hardware. My QNAP is an all in one box at the moment and handles media for the entire house.
If it's working, why would you need to replace your hardware?
(2016-09-06, 11:57)bilgepump Wrote:
(2016-09-06, 09:40)GTunney Wrote: Thanks for this Martijn, I'm preying they don't remove it or i'll need to buy more hardware. My QNAP is an all in one box at the moment and handles media for the entire house.
If it's working, why would you need to replace your hardware?

Well I wouldn't as such but I don't really want to be stuck on Jarvis for the rest of my days.
(2016-09-06, 11:58)GTunney Wrote: Well I wouldn't as such but I don't really want to be stuck on Jarvis for the rest of my days.
oh, right, gotcha. My download options from qnap are pretty outdated anyway, they don't seem to keep up-to-date with the newer versions as it is.
Any update on this Martijn?
QNAP version of KODI is stil stucked at 16.0 and seems there's not the willing to update the app.

Damn!
(2016-10-20, 11:33)Benna Wrote: Any update on this Martijn?
QNAP version of KODI is stil stucked at 16.0 and seems there's not the willing to update the app.

Damn!

No response at all from them.
(2016-10-20, 11:45)Martijn Wrote:

Damn!

Mega failure from QNAP. Advertise NAS's as Media centers with Kodi support, then remove Kodi.
(2016-10-20, 11:58)GTunney Wrote:
(2016-10-20, 11:45)Martijn Wrote:

Damn!

Mega failure from QNAP. Advertise NAS's as Media centers with Kodi support, then remove Kodi.

I'm indeed opening a ticket on QNAP support page blaming them!! Hope everyone with this problem to repeat the same
(2016-10-20, 12:06)Benna Wrote:
(2016-10-20, 11:58)GTunney Wrote:
(2016-10-20, 11:45)Martijn Wrote: No response at all from them.

I'm indeed opening a ticket on QNAP support page blaming them!! Hope everyone with this problem to repeat the same

Not too sure how true this is but apparently QNAP Kodi is back on and officially supported by QNAP support. Hopefully someone from Team Kodi can confirm?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
QNAP to remove Kodi due to License issues3