QNAP to remove Kodi due to License issues
Lol, i hope not, i found so many issue using in this way, also because Linux station is totally unstable, borken app, updates that don't start... a mess. Is way more usefull having a simple desktop like HD station where to launch KODI and use the smartphone to command the player..... WAY TO comfortable
From what I have read, there seems to be a lot of political pressure regarding Kodi
As Kodi allows you to download and stream pirate video. Not directly from the authors but from mods in android boxes and fire sticks the film companies and isp's are blocking content. Don't know if this is the reason but I love it just for ease of use. I have loads of movies stored to my QNAP and still have the dvds of these films so I am not pirating them.
Hey guys,

New here. I too MOSTLY have a QNAP NAS for media streaming over HDMI to my TV. I'm using the TS-870 Pro (pumped up the RAM to 16GB and Have the best i7 chip compatable with the chipset installed...suffice to say, I've gopne out of my way to ensure I can watch or stream and Full HD content of just about any file type without any problems. I typically set 'passthrough' in software settings to let my DENON AV receiver do all the audio work...

So since the 4.3 QTS upgrade, QNAP have royally screwed me without any warning...The HD Station has completely removed any trace of KODI and, on top of that, my Windows MCE basic IR remote controller has CEASED functioning wioth my NAS! Yet the QREMOTE Android app works fine within the HD Station, so I've raised a ticket and posted this on the QNAP forum and unfortunately there's little help.

So - as per the above comments in this thread, I've installed the Kodi 17.1 qpkg linked earlier and set this up in HD station. I suspect this is the way to go if we want (and are happy) with Kodi on QNAP's latest firmwares? This will get updates correct? What's the feedback on its stability on QNAP 4.3 latest build?

RoOSTA
I have KODI 17.1 "custom edition" Smile on 4.3.3 QTS and 3.1.A HDStation and no issue found so far, i've everything set as you, passthrough to the AV Receiver and i wath all of my movies and videos on my VPR.

Don't know which will be the support of this third person that creates QPKG of the new KODI versions, if in the future kodi release there will be new QPKG, but at the moment i'm an happy user. Obviously i can't say the same with QNAP, they've cancelled the KILLER function that convinced me to buy such device.
(2017-05-03, 14:12)Benna Wrote: I have KODI 17.1 "custom edition" Smile on 4.3.3 QTS and 3.1.A HDStation and no issue found so far.

So this is different to mine how exactly? Do you have the QPKG you got for it?
Personally, I prefer to use the Linux Station over HD station. It allows for much more freedom and using a wireless mouse/keyboard over the HD Station remote is a blessing. The main issue with Linux Station is the poorly or improper Pulseaudio setup built in to the Linux Station container. Doing this allows you to use the current build of Kodi or whatever media player is to your fancy.

I just ditch the puleseadio setup and use the ALSA drivers.

Qnap Linux Station 16.04

Problem: Pulseaudio only provides 2.0 or 2.1 PCM output to audio video receiver from applications such as Kodi, VLC Media Player et cetera.

Fix: Prevent pulseaudio from reloading when killing it and reload ALSA audio allowing to enable Passthrough Audio in Kodi settings and VLC Media Player to send DTS, DD or PCM multi-channel sound to Audio Video Receiver

## Change client.conf
sudo nano /etc/pulse/client.conf
## Change "; autospawn = yes" to "autospawn = no"

## Copy client.conf to ~/.config/pulse/
sudo cp /etc/pulse/client.conf ~/.config/pulse

## (optional) If Audio is a little bit crackling change default.pa
sudo /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/ubuntu-hd/lxc/ubuntu_1604/pulse/pulse.common/default.pa
## Change "load-module module-udev-detect" to "load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0"

## Stop Pulseaudio
pulseaudio -kill

## relaod ALSA
sudo alsa force-reload
(2016-10-31, 00:17)bilgepump Wrote: Did QNAP ever promise kodi, or just that the nas can play media? If the latter, as long as there are applications to play media, they can change them.
QNAP advertising both on their website and product packaging itself prominantly showed the Kodi app being used Big Grin
As such, QNAP's Kodi build was a 'product feature' which may have be reason enough for many to chooses QNAP NAS's over some other competitor Nod
For QNAP to remove the Kodi app apost sale is very much like a delayed bait and switch tactic and would be a no no in most jurisdictions Confused

So if you've been stung by this behaviour, i'd recomend you make a formal complaint to QNAP and then to your local consumer protection group should they do nothiong.
Hopefully with such formal complaints to a consumer protection group (is some jurisdiction) QNAP is jumped on and heavily fined and forced to behave more appropriately and legally in future Tongue

PS: workaround for getting Kodi back are only a temporary fix as i think it's better to stop such 'delayed bait and switch' behaviour from occuring in the first instance.
I'm a XBMC novice :)
Just coincidentally, I looked at the downloads for my qnap and there is a media player that seems to indicate it's xbmc (logo). I've never actually used my nas to play media so I'm not sure what's what.
Somewhat related to KODI, but is anyone having IR remote issues when trying to use with their Turbo NAS? Ever since major 4.3.3 update (and the 4 or 5 minor updates QNAP have released) my HP brand Windows MCE IR remote controller ceased functioning. It had the QNAP Tecvhs in disarray. They were certain it was hardware related and the board containing the IR receiver needed to be replaced.

Fast forward to the 2nd minor update, after i installed the firmware and rebooted, magically, my remote is working again. No issues for general use or inside of Kodi app. It then stops working. This happened yet AGAIN after next update (working for a couple of days, then my NAS beeps, no visible changes oin the display except for certain background activities) and my remote isn't working again. Anyone else afflicted by this problem? I'm going crazy getting QNAP to actually concede its their own crappy firmware updates not tried and tested properly...as the remote itself is fine, sends signals, LED light works on it and it has new batteries.

Bloody annoying!
WOW - goot to read this! I was going to buy a QNAP TS-451+ 8GB in a few days, but without KODI - never! Now searching for an alternate Multimedia NAS... Undecided
(2017-07-16, 12:33)cyaneo Wrote: WOW - goot to read this! I was going to buy a QNAP TS-451+ 8GB in a few days, but without KODI - never! Now searching for an alternate Multimedia NAS... Undecided

Doesn't mean you can't run it...Just not part of the official support. I am running it without any issue, let me know if you need the QPKG,

RoOSTA
roosta. I am in need of that kodi file you mentioned. I have the 451+ and have tried like hell to get kodi back since updating from 4.2.1 to 4.3 which apparently no matter what you do appears in HD station but not on the desktop. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated...
(2017-07-31, 04:52)HAASQNAP Wrote: roosta. I am in need of that kodi file you mentioned. I have the 451+ and have tried like hell to get kodi back since updating from 4.2.1 to 4.3 which apparently no matter what you do appears in HD station but not on the desktop. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated...

Search for father_mande Kodi 17.3

That's all

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Downloaded that file and tried install. Same result still shows up in HD station but not on desktop. Dont know whats wrong...
can anyone helpHuh?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
QNAP to remove Kodi due to License issues3