• 60(current)
Android Passthrough Changes with v17
Hm, the occasional dropouts remain in DTSShittyonly, too.
But the new shitty versions certainly don't have any crash problems anymore, so mission accomplished here thanks to fritsch hard work.

Seems to me the old passthrough method of 16.1 is intrinsically linked to this dropout problem.

It's a bit of a rock and a hard place problem, now. Either take 17.3 and get good DD5.1 but messed up DD2.0 and no DTS or take shitty/16.1 method and get a dropout every few minutes.

So in every trailer in the start sequencesof a DVD there is usually at least one dropout.

I'd appreciate if anyone dould provide an idea how to fix that dropout issue. Otherwise the new versions would be just perfect.

(We could move that specific discussion to the other thread I mentioned above, though. The crash case is closed.)
(2017-08-19, 17:01)Jeffers24 Wrote:
(2017-08-19, 16:06)HerbertWest Wrote: @fritsch

Will test this now.

EDIT: Ha! Tested the v18 and it starts the movies now.

I will need to test a little bit more to see if I still got the performance issues (singular dropouts every few minutes) I had with the 16.1 today.

But this is a very good start, thanks again! Smile

Does the V18 version still carry the hearing risk warning?

Didn't see any of that.
See your log. It's directly in the beginning and it's called shitty. If you want to compensate drops sync to display, enable ac3 transcoding and 2.0 speaker config.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
2.0 number of channels was already set, I can try adjust display refresh rate. If I turn on sync to display, passthrough is lost, so my old connected-via-optical Dolby Digital receiver can't do the multi-channel sound.

Will try out whether enabling ac3 transcoding will change anything.

EDIT: Oops, noob fail. Turned on sync-to-display and he does pass-through 5.1 to my receiver. Pretty confused now. But dropouts remain, unfortunately.
Haven't heard any dropouts under settings: best match / set refreseh rate at start / enable ac3 encoding for quite a while now.
Sync to DIsplay is off, though.

Looks good right now, but I don't want to rejoice too soon.
(2017-08-19, 19:05)HerbertWest Wrote: Haven't heard any dropouts under settings: best match / set refreseh rate at start / enable ac3 encoding for quite a while now.

H,

Which version are you testing/going to use, will it run on any version of android?
(2017-08-19, 19:14)Jeffers24 Wrote:
(2017-08-19, 19:05)HerbertWest Wrote: Haven't heard any dropouts under settings: best match / set refreseh rate at start / enable ac3 encoding for quite a while now.

H,

Which version are you testing/going to use, will it run on any version of android?

I'm right now running the kodi-20170819-caa0c87-dtsshittyonly-armeabi-v7a.apk version, but I guess the other new kodi-20170819-e2ce345-v18shitty-armeabi-v7a.apk will act just the same considering these audio issues.

I will probably stay with the current one, unless I need any feature from v18.

I don't know crap about other android versions, unfortunately. I'm on Firestick new edition right now, bought just one week ago.
Another dropout, damn. Seems like the program is looking for refresh rate and audio settings at the beginning of a vid for quite a while, sometimes gets it, sometimes not.

Will test & play around a little bit more.
No Debug Log no issue. Btw. the "best match" you postulate above has zero influence on passthrough.

Do the following:
Set to 2.0, Enable AC3 Transcoding, enable Sync Playback to Display and then post me a Debug Log _after_ the issue has happened. Best with a standard v18 build from our nightly folder. If this works for you - no shitty builds are needed anymore for you.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
You're right about "best match", it usually just makes performance worse. Above, I just posted a random config that worked with a certain movie without dropouts at a certain time. So you all can forget about that post.

But actually, I found out quite a lot in the meantime about my problem.

I noticed the dropouts never happened on PAL DVDs. With PAL movies, Kodi usually sets 50hz for them. Other movies are set to 24hz or 60hz. Especially the 60hz ones produced the dropouts.

Right now, I just set fixed 50hz in the systems menu and so far they seem to be gone with all movies. Even with the worst culprits from before, no drop.

Fun fact: A PAL DTS movie worked like charm right from the beginning on my receiver. And my LG shouldn't be able to passthrough DTS via optical, it never did with my BluRay and my Playstation.

But with Kodi/Firestick it worked. The "raw" method, perhaps? I'll just test some more movies if this stays clear all the time, maybe we won't need the debug log.
(2017-08-19, 15:50)HerbertWest Wrote: @Theetjuh

Ok thanks, good to know. Didn't know that one does amazon prime.

I see a hell of a lot of issues discussed with that thing in combination with kodi around here, too, though.

Running a shield with Kodi 17.3 and have no issues at all. It does amazon, plex, Netflix, and more. It is my main device to my TV these days.
(2017-08-19, 23:27)HerbertWest Wrote: You're right about "best match", it usually just makes performance worse. Above, I just posted a random config that worked with a certain movie without dropouts at a certain time. So you all can forget about that post.

But actually, I found out quite a lot in the meantime about my problem.

I noticed the dropouts never happened on PAL DVDs. With PAL movies, Kodi usually sets 50hz for them. Other movies are set to 24hz or 60hz. Especially the 60hz ones produced the dropouts.

Right now, I just set fixed 50hz in the systems menu and so far they seem to be gone with all movies. Even with the worst culprits from before, no drop.

Fun fact: A PAL DTS movie worked like charm right from the beginning on my receiver. And my LG shouldn't be able to passthrough DTS via optical, it never did with my BluRay and my Playstation.

But with Kodi/Firestick it worked. The "raw" method, perhaps? I'll just test some more movies if this stays clear all the time, maybe we won't need the debug log.

Every new issue demands a Debug Log. It's not something optional. And yeah I "know" that I am right - cause I am the co-author of ActiveAE ... and once again: Best Match does absolutely, totally nothing concerning performance ... it's a way to tell AE to find the best sink combination on every track change. But with PT the sink needs to be reopened in PT mode anyways, therefore no matter what you set there (besides fixed that forces PT to be disabled) nothing will change for PT.

And yes: The PCM hack fools the TV ... as long it does not try to do volume controlling it might work. It's a hack. Especially for your 29.97i / 60 hz blurays most likely SW decoding will be used and the FireTV is too slow decoding them.

Finally: It's as good as it gets with v17. If you want further improvements, use v18 nightlies and post debuglogs in your very own thread. Remember: DTS will never come back as FireTV people refuse to support the available and perfectly working IEC API: https://developer.android.com/reference/...G_IEC61937
Ok, I'll post another debug log soon. The program should just be able to show movies in the other hz rates, 50hz isn't good for a lot of material.

I'll use 60hz and give you a debug log documenting the dropouts.
The Debug log: https//paste.ubuntu.com/25354849/

I'll write something about this in a moment.
First thing, I'm using the 18.0 shitty again.

I documented the error and used your settings: Number of audio channels 2.0 in system/audio (I never even touched that setting before, it was always set like this), Ac3 transcoding activated, Sync to Display activated.
The Log documents starting a movie that Kodi would auto-set to 60hz and that seems to run jerky in other hz rates. (Here, auto-setting wasn't turned on, I set 60hz as global setting.)
The sound messed up at 3.14 minutes and 6.38 runtime of the movie, after that I stopped it and activated the debug log uploader.

By now, I found out that the issue is clearly connected to the refresh rate. I actually DON'T get the dropouts with 50hz AND (seemingly, but pretty sure about this by now) 24hz. So I can watch many NTSC DVDs quite fine at 24hz, many PAL DVDs ok at 50hz. Still, the movies that are auto-set to 60hz don't run too well on other setttings. So there is no really satisfying way to watch them at the moment. With 60hz, I ALWAYS seem to get dropouts regularily every 3 minutes or so.

I may be mistaken about this, but it seems that the "shitty" versions seem to act much more sensitive with the hz settings. AFAIR I usually could just leave the movies at 60hz with the stable 17.3 vs. without many issues, whereas watching a PAL DVD on 60hz in the shitty tends to get very juddery. It should really be set at the correct hz rate every time. I noticed that even with some movies, there were still performance issues at the correct tates. I heard some little stutters & hiccups in audio in some PAL DVDs even if set to 50hz. I can post yet another debug log about this. But nothing like the long regular dropouts I get with 60hz. But this may be just a completely different issue.

(This leads me to some thoughts about improvements for Kodi's DVD folder streaming. If I set "auto-detect hz at start", the performance of Kodi right now won't be much joy. It will re-detect the hz rates every time a new title or menu gets selected and seems to change between 24hz and 60hz rates sometimes for every specific trailer. I don't think that should be necessary. It should just use the best hz rate for the start of the dvd or for the main movie and not re-grab the hz rate every time. It leads to long breaks at the start of every new title and many issues with finding the right sound settings. Also very useful should be a manual option for a fixed hz setting for every movie entry.

Right now, I can only select hz rates globally, so I have to change this manually with every movie depending on the material. Or I can turn on auto-detect and get many breaks and sound problems.

If I'm missing some settings option here, just ignore the part in brackets)

EDIT: Well, started this again after some hours and I get again dropouts, now unfortunately even on 50hz setting. This was working good yesterday and this morning. Out of ideas and motivation now, maybe I'll just go back to stable version.

EDIT2: For people having similar troubles like me: Was actually finally able to make everything work trouble-free, with desired audio options and without any dropouts or messing around with refresh ratings on SPMC 16.5.5. Avoided SPMC at first because of severe playback issues with DVD files (ISOs) in the current version. But found out this is no problem in 16.5.5 (and current development versions). Whatever it is that is causing the drop out and performance issues with current "shitty" vs. of Kodi, it's not in SPMC.
  • 60(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Passthrough Changes with v178