• 53(current)
Android Passthrough Changes with v17
(2017-05-23, 02:51)exchequer Wrote: I just purchased a Sony CT-790 soundbar to accompany my X830 android tv. Quickly enabled DTS etc from the settings menu. All went fine until I played a movie, as it turns out there was no image and no sound. When I disabled passthrough both the image and sound resumed. After a bit of Googling I ended up here.

If I understand it correctly the issue did not exist on Android 5.x with Kodi 16? I am really not looking forward to buying a shield just for sound compatibility (yet ANOTHER remote). I really love that the TV just has Kodi integrated, that was the main selling point for me. Does it help if I uninstall 17.1 and go back to 16.1 via sideloading?

From Post #1:

Vendor firmware bugs
- Some Android TVs only support 384 kb/s AC3 and error out on 640 kb/s

For semi broken firmware, e.g. Android Sony TV, Philips TV, some others with AC3 640 issues:
PCM speakers: 2.0
Enable AC3
Enable AC3-Transcoding
and (!) Enable Sync Playback to Display. This is need to force transcoding even of native AC3 Input as that might be 640 kbit/s and the FW cannot use it.

You may need a shitty or notsoshitty 17.1 build from:
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/android/arm/

Hint:

Live is too short for shitty 40 dollar hardware.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-05-23, 04:32)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-05-23, 02:51)exchequer Wrote: I just purchased a Sony CT-790 soundbar to accompany my X830 android tv. Quickly enabled DTS etc from the settings menu. All went fine until I played a movie, as it turns out there was no image and no sound. When I disabled passthrough both the image and sound resumed. After a bit of Googling I ended up here.

If I understand it correctly the issue did not exist on Android 5.x with Kodi 16? I am really not looking forward to buying a shield just for sound compatibility (yet ANOTHER remote). I really love that the TV just has Kodi integrated, that was the main selling point for me. Does it help if I uninstall 17.1 and go back to 16.1 via sideloading?

From Post #1:

Vendor firmware bugs
- Some Android TVs only support 384 kb/s AC3 and error out on 640 kb/s

For semi broken firmware, e.g. Android Sony TV, Philips TV, some others with AC3 640 issues:
PCM speakers: 2.0
Enable AC3
Enable AC3-Transcoding
and (!) Enable Sync Playback to Display. This is need to force transcoding even of native AC3 Input as that might be 640 kbit/s and the FW cannot use it.

You may need a shitty or notsoshitty 17.1 build from:
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/android/arm/
I did not have external audio on Android 5 / Kodi 16 and Android 6/ Kodi system. So right now I'm still a bit confused.

What happens when I just disable pass-through (like I did just now). Does that mean that when I get the additional wireless rear speaker I don't get surround?

ps Sony stated they will update Sony Bravia 2015,2016 and 2017 to Android 7 so if there is enough noise then they could possible act on that.

(2017-05-23, 10:20)fritsch Wrote: Hint:

Live is too short for shitty 40 dollar hardware.
If only that were true, tv was about a thousand, soundbar 350. Rear speakers add 400. What I could do is add the Nvidia shield box if I create another hole in my wall to run cable.
Hello guys, thanks for the informations, i have the same issue, no DTS with passthrough so i want to take another box to read all my media. Any advice for a modern android box who have no issue and who works really fine ?
Just use AC3 Transcoding - what is so difficult about that ?

OR Read Post #2 of this thread for Android boxes with IEC Audio support OR choose a whole bunch of devices that run LibreELEC Kodi Krypton.

The START HERE thread in the Hardware sub-section has all the info.

We will not allow this thread to be turned into a hardware selection discussion.

Hi. Ive have a peculiar audio related problem in Kodi 17.1 and 3.

HW: Minix U9-H, FW04, HDMI to my Yamaha RX-V795 -> Samsung KS7005

Settings:
HDMI set in Android
Kodi, Passthrough enabled on all codecs, audio set to 7.2

Symptom:
When playing files that includes MP3, AAC 2.0/5.1, FLAC, i get PCM on my Reciever and no sound whatsoever
When playing files that includes AC3 2.0, 5.1, DTS 2.0, 5.1, TrueHD, DTS-HD = everything works as intended besides some breakups now and then.. specially for DTS..
Kodi will not give any UI audio sounds either = silcence, but in android i get full audio 2 channel (PCM) when clicking on buttons...

Ive reset the kodi installation, removed it, cleared the cache etc..
This is driving me crazy...
PS! Ive unplugged the Minix from my reciever and direcetyl into my tv, same problem there..

Anyone know what this could be ?

/TE
I enquired again last week about Multichannel (> 2.0) PCM Audio Output on the MINIX U9 - it does not support it so 5.1 FLAC and 5.1 AAC will NOT be decoded to 5.1 PCM and output if using Android. Fixed with a Firmware update (it will with an experimental version of LibreELEC)
This was also tested comprehensively 3 months ago by @wesk05 HERE

For Kodi Krypton Audio passthrough:
In Kodi Settings - reset ALL Audio Settings, down the bottom.

Make sure you have "Expert" mode selected - bottom left

And then simply ONLY select what passthrough options you want.
Don't mess with anything else, leave the Audio channels as 2.0 - don't touch them at all.
Reboot the device, just to be sure.

You could try these two to see if 5.1 AAC / 5.1 FLAC can be transcoded to 5.1 AC3 and output using passthrough:
Enable AC3
Enable AC3-Transcoding

In Kodi Settings > Player > Sync Playback to Display > must be DISABLED
Otherwise all Audio will be resampled and output as PCM.

(2017-05-25, 10:32)wrxtasy Wrote: I enquired again last week about Multichannel (> 2.0) PCM Audio Output on the MINIX U9 - it does not support it so 5.1 FLAC and 5.1 AAC will NOT be decoded to 5.1 PCM and output if using Android. (it will with an experimental version of LibreELEC)
This was also tested comprehensively 3 months ago by @wesk05 HERE

So - Leave the Audio Channels as 2.0

For Kodi Krypton Audio passthrough:
In Kodi Settings - reset ALL Audio Settings, down the bottom.

And then simply ONLY select what passthrough options you want - don't mess with anything else, leave the channels as 2.0 don't touch them at all.
Reboot the device, just to be sure.

You could try these two to see if 5.1 AAC / 5.1 FLAC can be transcoded to 5.1 AC3 and output using passthrough:
Enable AC3
Enable AC3-Transcoding

Hi.

1. I reset, set passthrough to on, selecting the codecs my Reciever supports which is all (why isnt there a FLAC bitstream option?)
2. enabled AC3 transcoding
3. 2 Channel AAC - Silent (shows pcm in my yamha), 5.1 AAC comes out fine as AC3-5.1
4. 2 channel FLAC and mp3 = silence.
5. All other codecs tested fine and shows in the LED screen on my yamaha (DTS-HD, TrueHD, AC3, DTS etc..)

So.. not to conclude or anything, but the passthrough part works fine it seems, but it seems that something is happening on the transcoding from AAC 2.0 -> PCM
The debug log doesnt say anything but everything is fine, android audio sink is used etc..
Turning passthrough off, no audio codecs give any sound.. I loose DTS-HD, DTS, AC3, Truehd etc.. Yamaha shows PCM all the time..

We also know its not the cable, the reciever or the TV
Kodi 16.3 worked fine too before i was "forced" to upgrade to 17.1
I remember this to be unstable in 17.1 on the 003 firmware, worked one day, not the next, but now in 004 firmware i have these problems..
so im lost ...
For info...
2.0 mp3 / AAC / FLAC > 2.0 PCM Audio output to my TV playing fine here via HDMI with the U9 & Kodi 17.3

Experimental....
Try adding - Output Configuration - Fixed
And experiment with - Limit sampling rate (kHz) 44.1 or 48.0

Are there any AVR's that can even accept and decode FLAC ?
As for Kodi FLAC Passthrough - @fritsch can answer...

(2017-05-25, 10:54)wrxtasy Wrote: For info...
2.0 mp3 / AAC / FLAC > 2.0 PCM Audio output to my TV playing fine here via HDMI with the U9 & Kodi 17.3

Experimental....
Try adding - Output Configuration - Fixed
And experiment with - Limit sampling rate (kHz) 44.1 or 48.0

Are there any AVR's that can even accept and decode FLAC ?
As for Kodi FLAC Passthrough - @fritsch can answer...

1. Updated the Firmware of my reciever for fun, no help in that..
2. Used both suggestions.. but in non-passthrough mode.. i get 0 audio out of Kodi 17.3, in any codecs..

Its gotta have something to do with the Andoid installation.. Ill try the new 005 beta firmware and see if it helps
UPDATED: Now this is embarrassing.. i found the problem.. it was the kodi independant volumecontrol that was set down to 0%...

http://www.minixforum.com/threads/aac-an...ost-132354

haha... well.. i dont want to blame my little son.. but.... walking away in silence and utter shame Wink

Anyway.. Now i can confirm that ALL codecs known to me at least is supported in this setup:
Mp3=PCM (supported natively by the decoder in the Reciever)
AAC=PCM (supported natively by the decoder in the Reciever)
FLAC=PCM (reciever supports the codec natively, but through DNLA, should be able to do over HDMI, not that it matters as this should be an exact copy of the PCM version since its truly lossless..)
DTS,DTS-HD,DTS-MA = passthrough, confirmed working on the yamaha
AC3, EAC3, TruedHD = passthrough, confirmed working on the yamaha
Bwaaahahaha - get's everyone sooner or later, and the very first thing that gets overlooked. Wink

Using FLAC via the DNLA route is better anyway, because Android will resample it otherwise + the 2.0 limitation.

hehe, im flabbergasted that u didnt suggest this straight away Wink

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/705448...l?page=132

It seems to support most basic audio codecs.. I assume AAC means both HE-AACv1 and v2 as well as LC-AAC..

One questions tho regards to audio decoding in non-passthrough mode.. Is it FFMPEG software decode that is used, or does Kodi offload it to the amlogic chipset?
AAC is not passthroughed - nowhere.
No offloading is done for audio decoding.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Does the may 13 shitty build include the security patch that was released in 17.2? If not I hope it will get baked in soon. Thanks for continuing to maintain these builds. They help keep my FireTV alive.
  • 53(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Passthrough Changes with v178