WD Wireless Pro
Lightbulb 
Hello everyone,

I have an ipad and laptop with wd external hd for my movies / tv shows. I travel alot and end up in hotels sometimes with poor wifi. That's why I have to carry my Movies / TV shows in external HD.

I want to leave my laptop behind but I have it all set up for kodi with my external HD.

I am planning to buy this Western Digital Wireless Pro (3TB)

https://www.amazon.com/Passport-Wireless...ssport+pro

Is this a good idea and will i be able to use it with KODI on IOS? (and leave my laptop behind)
I usually watch Movies / TV shows in 720p or 1080p max.
If anyone else is using this setup and give me suggestion / review.

Regards.,
I do something similar, except in my case I use a RavPower Filehub paired up with a normal WD MyPassport hard drive.

Overall it's a cheaper solution, albeit with two devices rather than one (both fit nicely into an Amazon Basics MyPassport hard case, although mine is the version 2 filehub rather than the later version 3 I linked to above).

For me it's a better solution as it's also an external battery (can power the HD or recharge things) plus a wired/wireless router/bridge and SD card reader too. It shares via DLNA and SMB, so its more flexible (as I can use different drives or USB keys if I want to). The only thing it lacks compared to the MPW is Plex, but from what I know of the MPW it struggles a bit in that role anyway as it's not so powerful a processor in there.

The MP Wireless is a fairly good device if a bit expensive (at least compared to the above) - if you want some user experience and feedback look on the MP Wireless section of the WD forums.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-09-06, 13:05)DarrenHill Wrote: I do something similar, except in my case I use a RavPower Filehub paired up with a normal WD MyPassport hard drive.

Overall it's a cheaper solution, albeit with two devices rather than one (both fit nicely into an Amazon Basics MyPassport hard case, although mine is the version 2 filehub rather than the later version 3 I linked to above).

For me it's a better solution as it's also an external battery (can power the HD or recharge things) plus a wired/wireless router/bridge and SD card reader too. It shares via DLNA and SMB, so its more flexible (as I can use different drives or USB keys if I want to). The only thing it lacks compared to the MPW is Plex, but from what I know of the MPW it struggles a bit in that role anyway as it's not so powerful a processor in there.

The MP Wireless is a fairly good device if a bit expensive (at least compared to the above) - if you want some user experience and feedback look on the MP Wireless section of the WD forums.

Thanks
I will look into RavPower as well. But can I map it on kodi (ipad) and get all my movies / tv shows syncd? Like I get on my laptop ?
I don't use Apple stuff, so I can't answer from personal experience.

Both methods support DLNA/UPNP streaming, which Kodi can use, and I think both also support SMB (the Ravpower certainly does) which again Kodi can use as a source.

There are a few variations of the Ravpower device out there (there are also some from Hootoo, which are either the same device under a different badge or something very similar) so it's worth doing a bit of background research as there may be offers or other stuff available on given products at given times.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WD Wireless Pro0