Realtime convert DTS to Dolby digital 5.1?
Hi,

Just wan't to know if this is possible. I'm byuing a soundbar (Samsung K960). The soundbar is only supporting Dolby Digital in 5.1. And DTS in 2.0.

My issue is that a lot of my movies is decoded in DTS 5.1. Is it possible that kodi can convert DTS to Dolby digital 5.1 Live? (So the reciever / soundbar recieves Dolby digital instead of DTS)?
- Set speakers to 2.0
- Enable AC3 passthrough
- Enable AC3 Transcode
- Disable DTS
- Disable EAC3

now every multichannel format will be transcoded to 5.1 AC3. Don't be confused by the 2.0 speakers - those are PCM settings only.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-09-10, 21:52)fritsch Wrote: - Set speakers to 2.0
- Enable AC3 passthrough
- Enable AC3 Transcode
- Disable DTS
- Disable EAC3

now every multichannel format will be transcoded to 5.1 AC3. Don't be confused by the 2.0 speakers - those are PCM settings only.

Allright - thank you. Do you think i will loose any audio quality by doing so?
Yes you will, although you may or may not be able to notice.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
@fritsch would you consider to add an option to transcode to 384kbps AC3 instead of 640kbps AC3 in order to support MediaTek devices?
I don't know if there's any other brands with issues for 640kbps AC3 that would justify this.
Nope. Why should we go for inferior quality? Let them know, they shall fix their Firmware.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
AC3 is inferior anyway. I doubt that majorty can hear the difference between 384 and 640, even on equipment where that can be heard.
I do get your point, but if that can increase compatibility, why not. After all, us users care more about your product than MTK, Philips, SONY.....
They don't give a *#!?* if kodi works for me on their product. It wasn't advertised and their player works.
Exactly my point. No idea why one would buy their products if they don't support the use case the buyer has in mind.
First, I didn't have kodi in mind when I was buying the TV.
Second, even if I did, there was no way for me to try that in the store.
Third, I don't want another box just for kodi.
Fourth, even you guys are chnaging things. So even if I dit try it in the store with v16 that would change on v17.
Like I said, I do get your point but I doubt that it will change the way MTK is doing things and they are the ony one that make SoC for Android TV. TVs with android are even worse just like 356423678532 of those boxes.
But the end result is that vendors don't care for kodi, you guys are pushing for standards and we are in the middle of bull fight.
We don't fight. We decide :-) no money involved.

Did you ever try it if reducing this one define would make it work?
If you are trying to run kodi on an android TV, my advice is - don't.

Buy a $40 s905 box, install libreelec, be happy :-)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
This is the android forum, please be polite Big Grin
(2016-11-04, 11:05)nickr Wrote: If you are trying to run kodi on an android TV, my advice is - don't.

Now we are way off but...... I don't want one more box. And aparrently non of those boxes are actually 100% compatible with every feature that kodi offers. They all have some kind of issues. How relevant they are is upto the users needs. My friend is perfectly happy with kodi on his tv since he is using just tv speakers and for him everything works. For me that's not the case. And I would gladly accept inferior 384 AC3 because it is still way better than DTS downmixed to stereo.
(2016-11-04, 11:05)nickr Wrote: If you are trying to run kodi on an android TV, my advice is - don't.

I'm with nickr, step quietly hastily away from the cheap Android Kodi boxes platform for decent Audio support for the time being.

Fritsch gets more and more gloomy with every Android Kodi Audio code commit I see these days, muttering words like "We all be doomed !"
I'm just thinking of his long term health here. Wink

(2016-11-04, 13:41)wrxtasy Wrote: I'm with nickr, step quietly hastily away from the cheap Android Kodi boxes platform for decent Audio support for the time being.

Well, I just must give you an small hint, Android TV sets arent cheap and usually their design is not boxy... Wink
Unfortunately there is no chipset choice for us either, only MediaTek provides those SoC´s.

I do ofcourse understand why those decisions were made by Kodi team...

(2016-11-04, 12:47)kinggo Wrote: And I would gladly accept inferior 384 AC3 because it is still way better than DTS downmixed to stereo.

Me too, but I really doubt it will ever happen...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Realtime convert DTS to Dolby digital 5.1?1