XBMC Linux port updates
Thumbs Up 
Hi,

Here is an update on the XBMC Linux port effort for you who do not read the SVN changelog on a daily bases.

During the recent weeks we continued to improve the Linux port making it more feature rich and we are reaching the point that it will be feature complete (compared to XBMC/Xbox):
1. Web server is now working (configure port > 1024 if not running xbmc as root)
2. All XBMC skins are now working without any file renaming
3. De-interlacing
4. Digital out (ac3/dts passthrough) support
5. Screen savers (only two for now: Plasma and Solar Winds)
6. Improved video playback in terms of perfomance. We now feel we are in the same level (give or take) as mplayer.
7. Overall cleanup of Settings from XBOX specific stuff.

Issues that we are currently dealing with:
1. DVD playback
2. Video resolution changes cause weird behavior of non accessible areas with mouse, etc
3. Video playback issues (sync, colors, crashes)
4. Occasional crashes
5. Improved Network Settings
6. Eliminate all 100s of warnings during compile time (we enabled all compiler warnings)
7. Credits screen

Leftovers that need consideration:
1. FTP server
2. NTP client

Also getting ready for Ubuntu 7.10 release this month: we made sure everything is working fine there. In fact I encourage people to install it since it automatically installs all the needed video drivers for ATI/NVidia/Intel and has Mesa 7 (== better OpenGL).

We are still not opening the SF Tracker for Linux issues but we would like to hear about problems that you have. Feel free to post new threads about issues. One issue per thread please. We can't promise to reply to everything but we will _probably_ read it.

-Yuval
Question 
yuvalt Wrote:Also getting ready for Ubuntu 7.10 release this month: we made sure everything is working fine there. In fact I encourage people to install it since it automatically installs all the needed video drivers for ATI/NVidia/Intel and has Mesa 7 (== better OpenGL).
Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) does however not include the NVIDIA applet to activate VSYNC from the GUI, does it?, and if you do not have V-SYNC (Vertical Synchronization) enabled then you will get page tearing issues, right? ...but I think that can still activate VSYNC in xorg.conf manually for NVIDIA and ATI(?)
I read this post the other day when it was posted and didnt want to add a useless post for the sake of it. But on second thoughts here it is, just to show that there is allot of interest in this (even if just from me) and please do post updates when you can.

Thanks
Nick
(quietly waiting for recommended hw specs)
On the same lines of Nick8888, thank you much for keeping the community updated on the status of the project.

*Goes back to rocking back and forth in a corner, eagerly awaiting final release*

-Ash-
I just want to say thank you so much for doing this. I absolutely love xbmc and cant wait for it on linux.
yuvalt Wrote:2. All XBMC skins are now working without any file renaming

hey Yuval, first of all - thanks a lot for your great contribution. you sure make my time spending with kubuntu far more pleasant Smile

i wanted to know how should i install new skins:
as for now, let's say i've downloaded a skin via SVN, so after a little while of downloading it's located at my ./where-ever-i-was/skin-name/ - i then move it into the /XBMC/skin/ folder and try to pick it up through the GUI. unfortunately, the skin is not being viewed too well: the background image and all of the elements are missing, and basically all that i DO see are a few text labels floating around a black void.. Sad

what am i doing wrong here?

thanks!

p.s.
i've noticed a build.bat file at each of the skin's folders, which xcopies the files and then run an windows execution file but... well.. it's linux.. Huh
okay - i simply compiled everything under vmware and now it's working.. (so ashamed..Confused)
@chikko, please respect that this specific topic thread is not for support/help questions!
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
absolutely right - sorry..
yuvalt,
Any update on the "State of"?
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
yuvalt, I greatly appreciate the summary of work completed and current activity as of early October. I tried reading the SVN change logs, but there are hundreds of entries and are very technical, mostly over my head.

It has been more than two months since this thread has been updated. Even though we hate to take a developer's time away from writing code, I'm sure many people would love to see a summary of the progress since then and the current to-do list. I'm subscribed to this thread now in case somebody can spare a few minutes to update it. Thanks in advance.
Wink 
Me too.. I'd love an summary update on the state of play.

Linux is a great way to go forward and I'm sure there will be a great progression to it, once it moves a bit further forward.
Hi,

Quick update on our progress:
1. We have stable video playback with GL pixel shaders for OpenGL 2.x drivers and specific shader for Intel 965 (probably also 945) drivers. All 720p content that I have tested works smoothly on relatively weak machines such as the Mac Mini (running Ubuntu 7.10). Some 1080p content (depending on bit-rate) also played smoothly on a Mac Mini as well. Many thanks to d4rk, elupus and vulkanr for getting us there.
2. DVD playback is working.
3. We have less and less crashes.
4. Network settings is working for ethernet and wireless. This is used when you want to have a dedicated machine for XBMC without a keyboard.
5. Timezone in the settings is fixed.
6. Most of the warning have been removed from the compile time, still more work to resolve the remaining ones.
7. Fixed crashes when streaming OGG music.
8. Initial support for MMS. This is still shaky but works in some cases.
9. elan has joined the team in an effort to port XBMC to OSX. This is still in very early stages but some nice progress has been made.
10. Removable drives now appears in Add Source.
11. Plugin settings dialog.
12. Display subtitles which are embedded in mkv files.
13. Subtitles now support embedded formatting options (italics, bold).
14. TTF fonts are scaled correctly when resizing the XBMC window.

Issues we are currently dealing with:
1. Resolution change using xrandr. This will take us closer to having a standalone XBMC which does not require GDM.
2. Cleanup of remaining warnings.
3. Credits screen.
4. Continue ironing open bugs.
5. Support for X11 screen savers.
6. Guide to installing XBMC on a standalone machine with no keyboard/mouse.

Still, the SF Tracker is still closed for linux bugs. We will do our best to respond to bugs discussed in the forum. We do encourage you to post patches in SF.

Don't forget to join our fan page in Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=20916311640.

Wishing happy new year to all XBMC fans,

-Yuval
yuvalt Wrote:Hi,

Here is an update on the XBMC Linux port effort for you who do not read the SVN changelog on a daily bases. SNIP

Awesome - thanks so much. Looks like you guys have really come a long way. I know several people who have HTPC builds on hold just waiting for you guys to put out an official release. Hell, at least the minimum spec for hardware keeps dropping in price.

Happy New Year!
Thanks for the update - it also looks like things are moving on well.. Especially the news on Mac Mini as it's a fairly fixed platform..
(But not fast enough to run 1080p to get me to go buy one yet..)

Thanks so much!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Linux port updates3