Need a 2 Box Solution
I'm hoping I can get what I want out of two boxes because I already know there isn't any one box that will. Please let me know which two if any will do:

1.) Netflix
2.) Amazon Prime
3.) Kodi
4.) OTA 1080i from my HDHomerun Extend or other antenna enabled network device
5.) Network Apps like HBO and NBC

At thet moment I'm using my chromebox as a server running tvheadend and plex.

I was very happy with my current setup of the aftv2 and apple tv4 until I bought a new tv and decided to watch the highest quality content I had available. This is where I got stuck trying to watch NFL live ota in 1080i. It sucks when the camera pans.

Thanks for your help.
Possibly Amazon FireTV gen3, expected to be announced soon. Or, nVidia Shield with this Sony TV (I think) extracted Amazon video app.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
I hate to go against @hdmkv - but until the firetv3 is proven I would stick with the nVidia Shield.
Good point... only suggesting waiting for the impending announcement. If Amazon doesn't add full 4K and HDR on its next box, it'll be pretty disappointing. Especially to counter Shield, Mi Box and upcoming Roku boxes.
My HT
Advice: stay away from Android media streamer devices that don't support TV deinterlacing properly.
We have recently had a discussion about this in the nVIDIA Shield thread.
Deinterlacing simply appears to not be a priority in devices from the likes of Amazon and nVIDIA. The mediacodec Android decoder is useless at deinterlacing support across a lot of boxes.

I've already listed devices in the Pick the Right Kodi Box thread that give you quality deinterlacing, needed for fast action OTA sports viewing. Proper deinterlacing is virtually the #1 priority for me as well for OTA Aussie Rules Footy viewing. Wink

Cheapest solution: use any number of the AMLogic S905 devices about and run LibreELEC on them for quality deinterlacing. Smile

So what boxes do have S905 and able to use LibreELEC out of the box?

I know of Wetek Hub, Odroid C2.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Please combine the two WeTeK Play2 threads into one and I might tell you Wink

(2016-09-14, 12:37)wrxtasy Wrote: Please combine the two WeTeK Play2 threads into one and I might tell you Wink

@wrxtasy - i only see one - link to second and i'll do it.

your inbox is full btw.
Maybe I've gone crazy, but I can't see how interlaced content is an issue for the Shield TV. It has enough power to handle nearly anything in 1080 (interlaced or not), even if it has to do it all in software.
I have an HDHomeRun Prime, so a little different, but I use Apple TV 4s at 6 TVs with MrMC and Channels app and then have a Shield in the basement ( but still use the Apple TV 4 for live TV because Channels App is amazing).
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
When Channels gets DVR, I'm going to try it Smile.
My HT
(2016-09-14, 23:29)timstephens24 Wrote: I have an HDHomeRun Prime, so a little different, but I use Apple TV 4s at 6 TVs with MrMC and Channels app and then have a Shield in the basement ( but still use the Apple TV 4 for live TV because Channels App is amazing).

I bought the Channels app for $24.99 for the Appletv4. The picture on my 1080i ota channels are gorgeous. There aren't any games on right now but there is a news show with the scroll going along on the bottom and it's not stuttering even a little. All of the panning and moving on the screen hasn't stuttered either. I'll report back after the game tonight so long as it isn't broadcast on Fox (720p). Thank you!
Much much better than what I had. The stuttering while panning is 99% gone. It seems as though the trade off is a bit of pixelation or graininess. I turned down the sharpness setting on the TV from 75 to 25 and that helped quiet a bit.

It's funny that upgrading my tv from a 46" to 65" caused these "quality" issues. Maybe a smaller tv isn't so bad? I'm looking forward to this awesome new streaming and networking (ota) technology to mature. A few more years when it and OLED tech has come along, it's going to get even more exciting.
I got the ota 1080i playing well on the FireTv. I had to login to the HDhomerun on my iPad and turn the transcoding off. Then on the FireTv I had to turn deinterlacing and Bob Inverted.

I hate to complain because Kodi is so awesome but there's got to be a better way of setting up the menu so that someone without a degree in telivision signals and IT can get this thing setup without spending 40 hours doing it.
The wiki is very helpful.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need a 2 Box Solution0