Which OS would you recommend for a laptop
So, I've been using Windows for about 20 years on various PCs and laptops. Finally, after this morning's 1 hour 40 minute update (missed my train to work, etc, etc) and the only things it has done are lose my network shares, add a store icon to the taskbar, and start prompting me to use their f*****g one drive cloud that I've tried a million times to remove. I have had apple TV boxes, and currently have a Fire TV box that works great, but I imagine like a lot of people I run scared of messing with the pre-installed operating system. So, it takes a f**k-up of monumental proportions to get me to ask:

Can anyone "impartially" recommend an operating system that is not massively over-bloated with sh*t I don't need or want (recipes, stock prices, etc), will operate a browser without crashing every third page it visits, will connect to my Synology NAS and won't forget how to do each it each time I log-in (my Fire TV can do it - why can't Windows?), and of course be able to play my media with Kodi. I already use things like Libre0ffice so I'm in no way hooked into microsoft, other than their handcuff relationship with the laptop manufacturers.

Secondly, and more importantly could you recommend a site that takes the non-programming lay-person through how to install a new operating system safely without completely killing my laptop and preferably without losing documents, music, photos, or spending 3 days backing up to CDs and re-loading. I know this is really dumb, but I don't even know if I can load an android operating system onto this laptop or if that is very hardware dependent.

Oh, and by the way - I don't want to try f*****g Office for 30 days !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks (can't find an emoji with steam coming out of ears) and sorry if this is the wrong place to post.
Thread moved to off-topic, as it's not about Kodi support directly.

Personally I'd recommend trying out a few Linux distributions via LiveCD/LiveDVD or LiveUSB (running them from such media without installing anything on your HD, so you can get a feel for them).

Generally Linux Mint is the normal recommendation for people coming from Windows, but it's a matter of personal taste of course (some prefer Debian, Ubuntu or other distros).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thanks Darren, but as I said I'm not a programmer and everything I read about Linux is that it's not for the novice.
These days many of them are (or can be) entirely run from the GUI, so there's no need to get into the command line mechanics underneath unless you want to.

As I said, start with a LiveUSB/DVD/CD of something like Mint and see how you like it. Or perhaps Ubuntu if you want to try something else in that field. But by using those in the Live versions you're not installing anything, so if you don't like them then you've lost nothing aside from a little time and your Windows install is untouched.

A few links that may be useful:

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/linux-live-usb-creator/

http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2014/05...t-usb.html
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/c...on-windows
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
That's really helpful Darren, thank you.
Just for interest though, I do find it a bit odd that you have a whole section devoted to hardware to run Kodi on, but asking about operating systems is off-topic. But I am really grateful for your advice and relieved to know I can try things out without uninstalling existing settings. I'll give it a go.

BTW - the thing that worries me about Linux is the Linux UK webpages still refer to things like "no more defragging your system", which suggests to me they haven't been updated in quite a long time and still comes over as an alternative to Windows 98.
Your overall question is a little to generic to be "on-topic" here. The support forums are for the Kodi program/app itself (the various versions for the different OS's), whereas you're asking about an OS recommendation in general (not specifically for Kodi), or at least so it appeared. Hence why it's a little off-topic as you seem to be looking for a new OS to replace Windows generally, not specifically for Kodi. It's a valid question generally, but as you want it for more wide usage it is more appropriate here. People asking for recommendations on general PC hardware (rather than as a media box) would end up here too.

Concerning your other question - Linux natively uses a different file system method of storing stuff (ext4, although as with Windows there are older/different options) on the hard disk to the NTFS that Windows does. One aspect of that is how it keeps files, a side effect/advantage being that fragmentation doesn't happen and so defrag is unnecessary (Windows 10 still has NTFS and defrag, it's just done automatically, at least on my PC it does).

Kodi Blog Posts
Well, I get your point, but my main issue is that Windows seems unable to stream media from my NAS to play on Kodi, without me having each time to go through logging into my Syno through a browser (which crashes half the time) and then adding a network share again. However, I was using the opportunity to vent my frustration that they've just done an interminable auto-update that has undone all of the work I'd done to try and overcome this problem and added back all the useless gumphh I'd taken so long to remove - so I understand the off-topicness.
Just to save anyone else wasting another few hours of their time - LinuxLiveUSB doesn't work on windows 10. You just get an oracle splashscreen followed by "Exit Portable Virtualbox" and nothing whatsoever then happens.
Honestly, just stick with windows. Back all of your stuff up(Yeah, CD-Rs suck ass, but you said you have a nas so try to offload some of that onto there) and do a clean install from latest windows install(Anniversary Update). Once install is done, remove all metro apps/store, remove onedrive and apply all windows settings that you like. Install drivers, then install some sort of backup software and make an image of your hard drive. Reading your first post SCREAMS fresh install of Windows. Until Windows 10 is "complete" I would recommend a fresh install at every milestone (TH2 Update / Anniversary Update / etc etc etc). Yes, we shouldn't have to do a fresh install, but I don't how many problems I have fixed for others, just by doing a clean install. If you upgraded from a previous windows without a fresh install, I would bet every dollar in my bank account that's your problem.
(2016-09-14, 18:35)Fail$tyle420 Wrote: Honestly, just stick with windows. Back all of your stuff up(Yeah, CD-Rs suck ass, but you said you have a nas so try to offload some of that onto there) and do a clean install from latest windows install(Anniversary Update). Once install is done, remove all metro apps/store, remove onedrive and apply all windows settings that you like. Install drivers, then install some sort of backup software and make an image of your hard drive. Reading your first post SCREAMS fresh install of Windows. Until Windows 10 is "complete" I would recommend a fresh install at every milestone (TH2 Update / Anniversary Update / etc etc etc). Yes, we shouldn't have to do a fresh install, but I don't how many problems I have fixed for others, just by doing a clean install. If you upgraded from a previous windows without a fresh install, I would bet every dollar in my bank account that's your problem.

Seeing some of the changing that comes with anniversary update, a "fresh install" of this milestone could bring issue in some case...
Moanbag is in da place!
Thanks for your recommendations guys. This update has bugged me a lot more than normal. The automatic logging into Skype, and re-imposing the store and OneDrive in our faces, etc. I think Fail$tyle you're sadly probably right in the end, but I would just love to have an OS that did the basics really well - primarily being to play media through Kodi, but also a bit of browsing and office work but without all the bloat. I was just hoping that there may be things like Google's OS that would work for more than simple browsing now, but I really don't fancy having to install each one to try it out.
(2016-09-14, 18:47)Gracus Wrote: Seeing some of the changing that comes with anniversary update, a "fresh install" of this milestone could bring issue in some case...

How do you figure? Unless your hardware is incompatible, a fresh install (format and install) won't bring any issues. If you have incompatible hardware, it's time to upgrade past windows 98 equipment.

@WelshPaul - I would recommend downloading CCleaner and use it's uninstall function to remove ALL native windows apps and the store. If you would like, I can link the script to remove onedrive completely. Very easy

*EDIT*
Remove OneDrive:
Run these 2 commands from admin cmd prompt:

taskkill /f /im OneDrive.exe
%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall
A little off-topic, but here is a set of tweaks that I personally use. You can copy/paste into a .bat or .cmd file and right click run as admin. Make sure you check out what each one does:

Code:
REM -- Disables Aero Shake
reg add "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer" /v NoWindowMinimizingShortcuts /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer" /v NoWindowMinimizingShortcuts /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

REM -- Disables various Telemetry and data collection/synchronization settings (ShutUp10 equivalent)
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Device Metadata" /v PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\DataCollection" /v "AllowTelemetry" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v "AllowTelemetry" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v "Start_TrackDocs" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting" /v "Disabled" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting" /v "Disabled" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting" /v "DontSendAdditionalData" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting" /v "DontSendAdditionalData" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting" /v "DontShowUI" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting" /v "DontShowUI" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting" /v "LoggingDisabled" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting" /v "LoggingDisabled" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Channels\Microsoft-Windows-Application-Experience/Program-Telemetry" /v "Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v "AllowTelemetry" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\DataCollection" /v "AllowTelemetry" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows" /v "CEIPEnable" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\AppCompat" /v "AITEnable" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\AppCompat" /v DisableInventory /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\AdvertisingInfo" /v "DisabledByGroupPolicy" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\AppCompat" /v "DisableUAR" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\LocationAndSensors" /v "DisableLocation" /t "REG_DWORD" /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\LocationAndSensors" /v "DisableLocationScripting" /t "REG_DWORD" /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\LocationAndSensors" /v "DisableWindowsLocationProvider" /t "REG_DWORD" /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Biometrics" /v Enabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\MRT" /v DontReportInfectionInformation /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\AppCompat" /v DisableInventory /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeliveryOptimization" /v DODownloadMode /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\HandwritingErrorReports" /v PreventHandwritingErrorReports /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\LocationAndSensors" /v DisableSensors /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization" /v NoLockScreenCamera /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\TabletPC" /v PreventHandwritingDataSharing /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v AllowCortana /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v AllowSearchToUseLocation /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v DisableWebSearch /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v ConnectedSearchUseWeb /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\SpyNet" /v SpynetReporting /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\SpyNet" /v SubmitSamplesConsent /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WMDRM" /v DisableOnline /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\DataCollection" /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Control\WMI\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener" /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeviceAccess\Global\{A8804298-2D5F-42E3-9531-9C8C39EB29CE}" /v Value /t REG_SZ /d Deny /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeviceAccess\Global\LooselyCoupled" /v Value /t REG_SZ /d Deny /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeviceAccess\Global\{C1D23ACC-752B-43E5-8448-8D0E519CD6D6}" /v Value /t REG_SZ /d Deny /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Personalization\Settings" /v AcceptedPrivacyPolicy /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SettingSync\Groups\Language" /v Enabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\InputPersonalization" /v RestrictImplicitInkCollection /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\InputPersonalization" /v RestrictImplicitTextCollection /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\InputPersonalization\TrainedDataStore" /v HarvestContacts /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Input\TIPC" /v Enabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AdvertisingInfo" /v Enabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AdvertisingInfo" /v Enabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeviceAccess\Global\{A8804298-2D5F-42E3-9531-9C8C39EB29CE}" /v Value /t REG_SZ /d Deny /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeviceAccess\Global\{E5323777-F976-4f5b-9B55-B94699C46E44}" /v Value /t REG_SZ /d Deny /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeviceAccess\Global\{BFA794E4-F964-4FDB-90F6-51056BFE4B44}" /v Value /t REG_SZ /d Deny /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeviceAccess\Global\{2EEF81BE-33FA-4800-9670-1CD474972C3F}" /v Value /t REG_SZ /d Deny /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeviceAccess\Global\{992AFA70-6F47-4148-B3E9-3003349C1548}" /v Value /t REG_SZ /d Deny /f
reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\International\User Profile" /v HttpAcceptLanguageOptOut /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeliveryOptimization" /v SystemSettingsDownloadMode /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener" /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\AutoLogger\SQMLogger" /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Siuf\Rules" /v "NumberOfSIUFInPeriod" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Siuf\Rules" /v PeriodInNanoSeconds /f > NUL 2>&1
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Siuf\Rules" /v PeriodInNanoSeconds /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeviceAccess\Global\{BFA794E4-F964-4FDB-90F6-51056BFE4B44}" /v Value /t REG_SZ /d Deny /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeviceAccess\Global\{E5323777-F976-4f5b-9B55-B94699C46E44}" /v Value /t REG_SZ /d Deny /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeviceAccess\Global\{2EEF81BE-33FA-4800-9670-1CD474972C3F}" /v Value /t REG_SZ /d Deny /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeviceAccess\Global\{D89823BA-7180-4B81-B50C-7E471E6121A3}" /v Value /t REG_SZ /d Deny /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeviceAccess\Global\{992AFA70-6F47-4148-B3E9-3003349C1548}" /v Value /t REG_SZ /d Deny /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeviceAccess\Global\{C1D23ACC-752B-43E5-8448-8D0E519CD6D6}" /v Value /t REG_SZ /d Deny /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SettingSync" /v SyncPolicy /t REG_DWORD /d 5 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SettingSync\Groups\Accessibility" /v Enabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SettingSync\Groups\AppSync" /v Enabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SettingSync\Groups\BrowserSettings" /v Enabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SettingSync\Groups\Credentials" /v Enabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SettingSync\Groups\DesktopTheme" /v Enabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SettingSync\Groups\Language" /v Enabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SettingSync\Groups\Personalization" /v Enabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SettingSync\Groups\StartLayout" /v Enabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SettingSync\Groups\Windows" /v Enabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\lfsvc\Service\Configuration" /v Status /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Sensor\Overrides\{BFA794E4-F964-4FDB-90F6-51056BFE4B44}" /v SensorPermissionState /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Sensor\Permissions\{BFA794E4-F964-4FDB-90F6-51056BFE4B44}" /v SensorPermissionState /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM -- Enables classic Control Panel view
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v "ForceClassicControlPanel" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Accessibility\StickyKeys" /v "Flags" /t REG_SZ /d "506" /f
reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Accessibility\Keyboard Response" /v "Flags" /t REG_SZ /d "122" /f

REM -- Disables Cortana and web search
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "AllowCortana" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "BingSearchEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "CortanaEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "SearchboxTaskbarMode" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "AllowCortana" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "DisableWebSearch" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "ConnectedSearchUseWeb" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "ConnectedSearchUseWebOverMeteredConnections" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM -- Disables automatic driver downloads from Windows Update
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching" /v "SearchOrderConfig" /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f

REM -- Sets default view for explorer to "This PC"
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v "LaunchTo" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

REM -- Hides Task View Button
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v "ShowTaskViewButton" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM -- Disables security warnings
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations" /v "DefaultFileTypeRisk" /t REG_DWORD /d 1808 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments" /v "SaveZoneInformation" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

REM -- Sets timeout for the System to end processes/services after the user tries to shutdown
reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "WaitToKillAppTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d "10000" /f
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control" /v "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d "10000" /f

REM -- Improves responsiveness of your system by removing delays
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Serialize" /v "StartupDelayInMSec" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "MenuShowDelay" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Mouse" /v "MouseHoverTime" /t REG_SZ /d 0 /f

REM -- Disables automatic maintenance
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\Maintenance" /v "MaintenanceDisabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

REM -- Disables Encrypting File System
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem" /v "NtfsDisableEncryption" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem" /v "NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

REM -- Disables Active Desktop
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v "ForceActiveDesktopOn" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v "NoActiveDesktop" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v "NoActiveDesktopChanges" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

REM -- Disables Smart Screen
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer" /v "SmartScreenEnabled" /t REG_SZ /d "Off" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System" /v "EnableSmartScreen" /t "REG_DWORD" /d 0 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppHost" /v "EnableWebContentEvaluation" /t "REG_DWORD" /d 0 /f

REM -- Disables Wifi Sense
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WcmSvc\wifinetworkmanager\config" /v AutoConnectAllowedOEM /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\WiFi\AllowAutoConnectToWiFiSenseHotspots" /v "value" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\WiFi\AllowWiFiHotSpotReporting" /v "value" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM -- Disables sending files to encrypted drives
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\EnhancedStorageDevices" /v "TCGSecurityActivationDisabled" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM -- Disables settings synchronization
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync" /v "DisableSettingSync" /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync" /v "DisableSettingSyncUserOverride" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Channels\Microsoft-Windows-Application-Experience/Steps-Recorder" /v "Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeliveryOptimization\Config" /v "DownloadMode" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeliveryOptimization\Config" /v "DODownloadMode" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM -- Increases wallpaper image quality
reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "JPEGImportQuality" /t REG_DWORD /d 100 /f

REM -- Disables automatic update for downloaded maps
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Maps" /v "AutoDownloadAndUpdateMapData" /t "REG_DWORD" /d 0 /f

REM -- Deactivate screensaver
reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "ScreenSaveActive" /t REG_SZ /d 0 /f

REM -- Disables GameDVR
reg add "HKCU\System\GameConfigStore" /v "GameDVR_Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GameDVR" /v "AllowgameDVR" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameDVR" /v "AppCaptureEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM -- Removes frequent/recent entries from explorer
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer" /v "ShowFrequent" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer" /v "ShowRecent" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM -- Sets computers active hours to 10-22h
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings" /v "ActiveHoursStart" /t REG_DWORD /d "10" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings" /v "ActiveHoursEnd" /t REG_DWORD /d "22" /f

REM -- Disables reveal password button
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CredUI" /v DisablePasswordReveal /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

REM -- Internet Explorer / Microsoft Edge optimizations
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Suggested Sites" /v Enabled /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer" /v AllowServicePoweredQSA /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoComplete" /v AutoSuggest /t REG_SZ /d no /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Infodelivery\Restrictions" /v NoUpdateCheck /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Geolocation" /v PolicyDisableGeolocation /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\Main" /v "Use FormSuggest" /t REG_SZ /d no /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\Main" /v DoNotTrack /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\Main" /v "FormSuggest Passwords" /t REG_SZ /d no /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\SearchScopes" /v ShowSearchSuggestionsGlobal /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\PhishingFilter" /v EnabledV9 /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM -- Disables Windows Telemetry services
sc config diagnosticshub.standardcollector.service start= disabled
net stop diagnosticshub.standardcollector.service > NUL 2>&1
sc config DiagTrack start= disabled
net stop DiagTrack > NUL 2>&1
sc config dmwappushservice start= disabled
net stop dmwappushservice > NUL 2>&1

REM -- Disables RetailDemo service
sc config RetailDemo start=disabled
net stop RetailDemo > NUL 2>&1

REM -- Disables Windows Search service
sc config WSearch start= disabled
net stop WSearch > NUL 2>&1
del "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Windows.edb" /s > NUL 2>&1

REM -- Disables Adobe services if installed
sc config AdobeARMservice start= disabled > NUL 2>&1
net stop AdobeARMservice > NUL 2>&1
sc config AGSService start= disabled > NUL 2>&1
net stop AGSService > NUL 2>&1

ECHO Disabling Windows scheduled tasks...
schtasks /DELETE /TN "Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync\BackgroundUploadTask" /F > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\.NET Framework\.NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\.NET Framework\.NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319 64" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\.NET Framework\.NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319 64 Critical" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\.NET Framework\.NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319 Critical" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\AppID\SmartScreenSpecific" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\ApplicationData\CleanupTemporaryState" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\ApplicationData\DsSvcCleanup" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\AitAgent" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\ProgramDataUpdater" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\StartupAppTask" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Autochk\Proxy" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\CloudExperienceHost\CreateObjectTask" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\Consolidator" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\KernelCeipTask" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\UsbCeip" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\BthSQM" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\HypervisorFlightingTask" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Defrag\ScheduledDefrag" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Diagnosis\Scheduled" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\DiskCleanup\SilentCleanup" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\DiskDiagnostic\Microsoft-Windows-DiskDiagnosticDataCollector" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\DiskFootprint\Diagnostics" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\DiskFootprint\StorageSense" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\ErrorDetails\EnableErrorDetailsUpdate" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Feedback\Siuf\DmClient" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Feedback\Siuf\DmClientOnScenarioDownload" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\File Classification Infrastructure\Property Definition Sync" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\File History (maintenance mode)" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Management\Provisioning\Logon" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Maintenance\WinSAT" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Maps\MapsToastTask" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Maps\MapsUpdateTask" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Mobile Broadband Accounts\MNO Metadata Parser" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Multimedia\SystemSoundsService" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\NlaSvc\WiFiTask" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\NetCfg\BindingWorkItemQueueHandler" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\NetTrace\GatherNetworkInfo" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Offline Files\Background Synchronization" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Offline Files\Logon Synchronization" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\PI\Sqm-Tasks" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Power Efficiency Diagnostics\AnalyzeSystem" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Ras\MobilityManager" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\RemoteAssistance\RemoteAssistanceTask" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\RetailDemo\CleanupOfflineContent" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Servicing\StartComponentCleanup" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync\BackupTask" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync\NetworkStateChangeTask" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Setup\SetupCleanupTask" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyMonitor" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyRefresh" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Shell\IndexerAutomaticMaintenance" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\SpacePort\SpaceAgentTask" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\SpacePort\SpaceManagerTask" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Speech\SpeechModelDownloadTask" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\TextServicesFramework\MsCtfMonitor" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\TPM\Tpm-HASCertRetr" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\TPM\Tpm-Maintenance" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\User Profile Service\HiveUploadTask" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WCM\WiFiTask" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Windows Defender\Windows Defender Cache Maintenance" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Windows Defender\Windows Defender Cleanup" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Windows Defender\Windows Defender Scheduled Scan" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Windows Defender\Windows Defender Verification" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\QueueReporting" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Windows Filtering Platform\BfeOnServiceStartTypeChange" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Windows Media Sharing\UpdateLibrary" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Wininet\CacheTask" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Work Folders\Work Folders Logon Synchronization" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Work Folders\Work Folders Maintenance Work" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Workplace Join\Automatic-Device-Join" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\XblGameSave\XblGameSaveTask" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\XblGameSave\XblGameSaveTaskLogon" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Driver Easy Scheduled Scan" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Office\OfficeTelemetryAgentFallBack2016" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Office\OfficeTelemetryAgentLogOn2016" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Office\Office ClickToRun Service Monitor" /Disable > NUL 2>&1

REM -- Disables Hybrid Boot aka Hybernation
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /v "HiberbootEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
powercfg -h off > NUL 2>&1

REM -- Disables OneDrive
taskkill /F /IM OneDrive.exe /T
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /v "OneDrive" /f > NUL 2>&1
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\OneDrive" /v "DisableFileSyncNGSC" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\OneDrive" /v "DisableMeteredNetworkFileSync" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\OneDrive" /v "DisableLibrariesDefaultSaveToOneDrive" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
sc config OneSyncSvc start= disabled
net stop OneSyncSvc > NUL 2>&1
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\OneSyncSvc" /v "Start" /t REG_DWORD /d 4 /f > NUL 2>&1
reg add "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}" /v "System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}" /v "System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f > NUL 2>&1

REM -- Disables Windows Update so you can update via Windows Update MiniTool instead
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Automatic App Update" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsStore\WindowsUpdate" /v "AutoDownload" /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f > NUL 2>&1
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\DefaultMediaCost" /v "3G" /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f > NUL 2>&1
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\DefaultMediaCost" /v "4G" /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f > NUL 2>&1
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\DefaultMediaCost" /v "Default" /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f > NUL 2>&1
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\DefaultMediaCost" /v "Ethernet" /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f > NUL 2>&1
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\DefaultMediaCost" /v "WiFi" /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f > NUL 2>&1
sc config wuauserv start= disabled
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Refresh Settings" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\USO_UxBroker_Display" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\USO_UxBroker_ReadyToReboot" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\sih" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\sihboot" /Disable > NUL 2>&1
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeliveryOptimization\Config" /v "DODownloadMode" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings" /v "DeferUpgrade" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\MRT" /v DontOfferThroughWUAU /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v "AlwaysAutoRebootAtScheduledTime" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v "NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
(2016-09-14, 19:48)Fail$tyle420 Wrote:
(2016-09-14, 18:47)Gracus Wrote: Seeing some of the changing that comes with anniversary update, a "fresh install" of this milestone could bring issue in some case...

How do you figure? Unless your hardware is incompatible, a fresh install (format and install) won't bring any issues. If you have incompatible hardware, it's time to upgrade past windows 98 equipment.

If you install anniversary update from scratch, you need well signed driver

In my case, my sound card has Windows 10 drivers BUT the file signature is a bit too old:
-manufacturer driver will not work
-modded driver that I need to solve an issue in the official driver will not work

If I just make an update from older milestone, any driver I try will work
Moanbag is in da place!
Thanks Fail$tyle. The thing is I've removed OneDrive, etc, previously. I've got CCleaner and used it before. The point is though that the latest update has brought them all back. I know the answer from Micro$oft is to turn off auto-update, but that's using a crappy solution to fix a crappy software. It's like a car salesman saying "it's got everything - DAB radio, carpet on the roof, bobble-head Jesus - but whatever you do DON'T PUT IT IN REVERSE." I was hoping that by 2016 something better would have come along, but it seems we're still stuck with choosing one of the hundred versions of Linux. There are people winning gold medals at the Olympics who weren't born when Windows, Apple, or Linux were the only options, and they still are.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which OS would you recommend for a laptop0