• 4(current)
v17 Auto de-interlacing (in PVR streams) does not always work
I would...but the file seems it doesn't exist anymore...
Light IMDb Ratings Update - Keep updated the IMDb ratings for your movies and TV shows.
In case you found useful my work, feel free to offer me a cappuccino!
Derp, Ok sorry I didn't realise the link was dead. Good job I kept a copy: Linky.
Cool, I will give it a try as soon as possible. Thanks.

Keep in touch!
Light IMDb Ratings Update - Keep updated the IMDb ratings for your movies and TV shows.
The fix that's in that dxva-build was merged to the master source code here: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/b6d0...dd6143d730

So it's already in the nightlies and the past few betas. And, but I'm not sure about that, I think the code specifically works only on AMD cards? So Intel chips or nVidia cards would not benefit from this. But... if they need it also, then the problem is not just AMD's drivers...?
Stupid question: why in Kodi 17 there is not the option to have de-interlacing always ON as in Kodi 16.1? Would this be a "dirty work around" to the issue?
Reason: people did not know what deinterlacing means and forced it for their progressive content, you can imagine what has happened :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-11-04, 01:38)axlt2002 Wrote: Stupid question: why in Kodi 17 there is not the option to have de-interlacing always ON as in Kodi 16.1? Would this be a "dirty work around" to the issue?

Forcing deinterlacing has ever been a silly hack that never was working correctly. You can't force deinterlacing without knowing some details about the stream, like which field is first. So if you know what field is first, you also know that the stream in interlaced or not. Trying to deinterlace a progressive stream is nonsense, right?
(2016-11-07, 08:41)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2016-11-04, 01:38)axlt2002 Wrote: Stupid question: why in Kodi 17 there is not the option to have de-interlacing always ON as in Kodi 16.1? Would this be a "dirty work around" to the issue?

Forcing deinterlacing has ever been a silly hack that never was working correctly. You can't force deinterlacing without knowing some details about the stream, like which field is first. So if you know what field is first, you also know that the stream in interlaced or not. Trying to deinterlace a progressive stream is nonsense, right?

Yes, I understand and agree with you 1000% that technically and from the purist point of view is really a non-sense! But the point now is that it seems there are some issue that makes the Auto option not working properly...

I didn't have the occasion to try the new nightly built on both my machines...I will keep you updated.
You mix up things here. The setting is not related to the issue only Windows users do observe. Kodi tells th driver to deinterlace but the driver ignores the flag for some reason.
Thanks for the clarification FernetMenta. I'm starting to learn about this...So, another question: who is making the de-interlacing then? Kodi or the GPU drivers/features? I'm asking this because it seems that is possible to choose the de-interlacing algorithm to be used...therefore I'm guessing that is Kodi that takes care of it...or not?

I'm sorry if some questions are stupid... Wink
A deinterlacing algorithm is selected by the driver, Kodi just provides frames to the driver.
(2016-11-07, 14:16)afedchin Wrote: A deinterlacing algorithm is selected by the driver, Kodi just provides frames to the driver.

Mmmmmm....ok....so how does the algorithm selection in the video settings influence the overall de-interlacing process? I think I really miss this point...sorry Smile
What algos do you have available for dxva?
1. Kodi may only enable or disable de-interlacing in the driver.
2. Kodi is unable to select de-interlacing algo.
3. The driver selects an algo as it wants. In a debug log you can see which algos the driver supports.
(2016-11-07, 21:40)afedchin Wrote: 1. Kodi may only enable or disable de-interlacing in the driver.
2. Kodi is unable to select de-interlacing algo.
3. The driver selects an algo as it wants. In a debug log you can see which algos the driver supports.

This is perfectly clear, thanks a lot afedchin! In my previous post I just overlooked the options...in fact in the video settings it is possible just to choose the upscaling algorithms and not the de-interlacing ones! Sorry for that!

Anyway, this evening I'm going to make some proofs and I will report if there will be some issues. I have just installed the latest nightly version.

Cheers!
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto de-interlacing (in PVR streams) does not always work1