Amlogic codecs not used in Live TV
Hi,
just got one of the S912 , Beelink GT1 and have some issues.
Most/all of the videos plays OK and for that purpose Kodi is OK. Pressing O i can see that amc-H26X codecs are used.
However i use my box mostly for Live TV via Tvheadend server and here i have issues. Kodi is using ff-h264 and ff-mpeg2 codecs instead of amc codecs which results in software decoding instead of hardware. Live TV is very choppy on this GT1 box.

How can i tweak Kodi to use amc codecs even for Live TV, why is this not by default?
I have another S905 box and Kodi is working well on that one with amc codecs in Live TV also.
(2016-09-18, 11:42)Dr.Feelgood Wrote: Hi,
just got one of the S912 , Beelink GT1 and have some issues.
Most/all of the videos plays OK and for that purpose Kodi is OK. Pressing O i can see that amc-H26X codecs are used.
However i use my box mostly for Live TV via Tvheadend server and here i have issues. Kodi is using ff-h264 and ff-mpeg2 codecs instead of amc codecs which results in software decoding instead of hardware. Live TV is very choppy on this GT1 box.

How can i tweak Kodi to use amc codecs even for Live TV, why is this not by default?
I have another S905 box and Kodi is working well on that one with amc codecs in Live TV also.

The problem is probably with the bad firmware on the GT1 tv box.
Beelink don't seem to provide regular firmware updates like they did in the past.
You will have to bug them on their support and forum to release proper firmware.

Secondly, you can try to install SPMC and see if that works better.
You can also try Kodi 17 beta 3, but Amlogic support has been removed there but maybe it works better.
The problem is AMLogic + Kodi Krypton - hardware decoding and hardware deinterlacing simply does not work properly for Interlaced content as amcodec has been removed from Krypton. Its broken and is a known issue. Looks like it using Software decoding to me, or Android mediacodec simply does not cope with Interlaced content yet. The Shield also has issues with deinterlacing and mediacodec.

Kodi Jarvis should work, and if that is still broken then you have Firmware problems. Contact your seller for support.
Kodi is not a Firmware support forum.
Welcome to being on the bleeding edge of AMLogic devices. Wink
You are going to find a whole bunch of stuff broken as no one is developing for these S912 devices, LibreELEC included.

Best piece of advice at this current time, send the S912 device back or box it until such time as AML Kodi devs get interested.
There currently is no Kodi Android code maintainer, so progress is very likely be pretty slow for unsupported devices.

And even then a lot of Developers will not be willing to shell out for new HDR10 TV's just to support budget AML boxes for free.
Thats the reality of the situation.

Thx wrxtasy,
I got what i paid for Smile, cheap unit = crappy firmware. My old S905 was OK so i hoped that S912 would be better but i realize now that it's crap.
It came pre-installed with Kodi 16.1 – Jarvis and it still don't work for Live TV. Same with SPMC and Krypton still does not work. It has to be firmware issue.

I'm grateful for the community support and hope some developers will look into the Interlaced video and hardware codecs. For now the S912 can be used for 4K video content, and will keep my good old HTPC for Live TV still ...
For info, i downloaded Interlaced Live TV files from Kodi sample site. All play OK with HW decoding.
It has to be something wrong with Live TV settings, why should Kodi choose to use SW decoding only for Live TV?
It's TVHeadend :-( (but negge punshes me, if I state that in public again and again ;-))
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
As Dr Feelgood tested, will try and Network into the TV Server direct to HHD to play Interlaced recordings in Kodi (no TvHeadend) to confirm as well.

Yep confirmed. TvHeadend issue. Kodi Krypton nightly on AML S905 Play2, even plays back 1920x1080i H264 streams without the issues that I see in TvHeadend.

EDIT: It appears I'm not getting Full Motion - evidenced by two footballs showing during fast motion scenes.

Thx. Fritsch Wink

How is this a tvheadend issue?
I'm running an S905x Box with Android 6 and Kodi 16.1

If I enable AMCodec everything plays back smoothly, but after stopping a video (10s later) Kodi crashes, this goes away if I disable amcodec.

However without amcodec tvheadend live tv only plays back in software, tvh mkv recordings on the other play back smoothly.
(2016-11-18, 23:08)haifischjunge Wrote: I'm running an S905x Box with Android 6 and Kodi 16.1

If I enable AMCodec everything plays back smoothly, but after stopping a video (10s later) Kodi crashes, this goes away if I disable amcodec.

However without amcodec tvheadend live tv only plays back in software, tvh mkv recordings on the other play back smoothly.

@negge: see
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
See here
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=296558
http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/17069
But I think Kodi also plays is part (at least on android 6) - live tv hardware acceleration works on every other device with me (firetv, mxq (4.4), sony tablet z) only in kodi on android 6 default acceleration (mediacodec ) fails and amcodec works but crashes after every stopped video kodi (or kodi crashes because of an uncaught error with the amcodec driver)
Try this modded version of spmc on the S912 I have it running on the GT1 and it doesn't crash when using armcodec
http://www.bee-link.com/forum.php?mod=vi...3&mobile=2
This problem is not related to hardware or firmware (I think...) . If you try to install Kodi on whatever Android device, I think you will experience the same thing. No HW acceleration on HD-channels using TvHeadend.

I have Kodi and SBMC running on a Nexbox A1 and a Galaxy Tab with the same experience.

There is several threads in several forums about this issue, but nothing happens what I can see Sad

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=279399
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=296558
http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/16578
Can you link to the bugreport you filed with tvheadend? You know we are not the tvheadend support forum.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amlogic codecs not used in Live TV1