v16 What kodi addon needed to support playlist.m3u8
The other day when I tried to watch some live soccer channel on my Linux desktop computer with kodi v16.1, I only got the audio while the video showed a 3-D square field filled with lots of vertical square bars. Also, I noticed at the bottom left corner, it said something like playlist.m3u8. TBH, I have no idea what it was, but thought probably my kodi is missing some M3U8 codec addon to support an m3u8 video. So, does anyone here know how to resolve this issue?
Where are you getting that stream from? A legitimate source or some dodgy banned add-on (wiki) or equivalent streaming site?
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
If my memory serves me right, it was on a FIFA TV Youtube addon from a newly installed Linux OpenSuSE 13.2 with kodi v16.1 on an old 32-bit computer/ I believe it is a legitimate source.

Also, I don't have an MLS Life account. However, when my friend who has this account tried it on my computer ends up with the same issue. He told me something is missing w.r.t my settings. Could it be I need to install some video codecs?
Yes, YouTube is fine. If the media is on there, try the YouTube add-on and see if it works that way.

M3U8 streams can also be set up via the IPTV Simple add-on, which should already be installed or can be added via apt-get if I remember correctly. You shouldn't need any additional codecs for any of it.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I will give that a try. Thank you.
a strm file should work as well, kodi handles playlists internally
(2016-09-21, 20:00)wsnipex Wrote: a strm file should work as well, kodi handles playlists internally
The only thing I know is exactly explained in my OP and it sure did mention anything about an stm file. If you meant an stm addon, please let me know where I can get it.
An m3u8 file is just a text file with the extension m3u or m3u8 if it's utf-8 encoded. Its basically a file with one or more pointers to some media for Kodi to play. Same with an strm file. It contains a pointer to an actual file to play.

Kodi will attempt to play pretty much any file, but if the file has errors in it, or your hardware is not up to the job of displaying it correctly, then you won't get the right results.

Please note that Kodi does not need any add-ons to play media. It comes with all the necessary stuff already included to play pretty much any sort of file (both video and audio) that you might come across.

As you stated that it's an old computer, it might be that the graphics card isn't up to the job of displaying the content you are trying to watch. The other thing is that you're running on OpenSuSE. Did you build Kodi yourself on that or is it a SuSE maintained package ?
Learning Linux the hard way !!
m3u8 is a bit ambiguous since yes, it was originally just a m3u with utf-8 encoding. but these days it's also what carries the manifest in hls streams, and it might be what the OP wonders about. and there can be drm on these streams.

in either case the answer is you do not need any add-on as long as there is no nasty drm.
(2016-09-22, 06:43)black_eagle Wrote: An m3u8 file is just a text file with the extension m3u or m3u8 if it's utf-8 encoded. Its basically a file with one or more pointers to some media for Kodi to play. Same with an strm file. It contains a pointer to an actual file to play.

Kodi will attempt to play pretty much any file, but if the file has errors in it, or your hardware is not up to the job of displaying it correctly, then you won't get the right results.

Please note that Kodi does not need any add-ons to play media. It comes with all the necessary stuff already included to play pretty much any sort of file (both video and audio) that you might come across.
I got it.

Quote:As you stated that it's an old computer, it might be that the graphics card isn't up to the job of displaying the content you are trying to watch. The other thing is that you're running on OpenSuSE. Did you build Kodi yourself on that or is it a SuSE maintained package ?
The kodi I have was installed from packman repo. My old computer has no problem to show video. It's just sometimes I encountered the issue I pointed out in my original post. Darn, I don't remember which channel that gave me the issue. I just went back to the FIFA TV Youtube and it nows plays OK (I have not enabled the IPTV Simple add-on, yet).
(2016-09-22, 09:54)ironic_monkey Wrote: in either case the answer is you do not need any add-on as long as there is no nasty drm.
OK.
https://cdn-ks.kyivstar.ua/Content/HLS/L...index.m3u8

This is link can opened in browser, works well.

What kodi addon need for play this?
https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:IPTV_Simple_Client

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What kodi addon needed to support playlist.m3u80