Let's Talk x265
Say if I made a video addon that streamed perfectly legal YouTube videos. Could I put a x265 decoder within the video addon. So when the user calls upon the x265 video file the decoder can stream the file. Thus keeping quality the same & lowering bit rates and buffering?

Or could you eventually integrate it natively into the Kodi player?
Why would you because Kodi already has x265
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Oh cool so I can just get the player to stream x265 files & it will decode them fine?

I didn't know it was already integrated.
Either with hardware if it can or software if not but then you need a powerful CPU depending on resolution
Yeh that makes sense.

So if I kept things at a 720p quality & ran all the files through a x265 converter. Thus lowering the file sizes of each video & bit rates that should be ok for typical hardware or android box hardware?
Depends on the hardware.
Their should be a chart for typical hardware requirements vs x265 decoding in 480p, 720p & 1080p.

Then you could just compare the typical hardware used by Kodi & get an idea of what x265 conversion settings to use. Thus optimizing your Video Addon.
if you use the "fast decode" option during encode, even the PI2 can handle moderate bitrate 720p HEVC files in software

Quote:Their should be a chart for typical hardware requirements vs x265 decoding in 480p, 720p & 1080p.

Then you could just compare the typical hardware used by Kodi & get an idea of what x265 conversion settings to use. Thus optimizing your Video Addon.
we do not track users or their hardware, so we have no idea what the average Kodi HW looks like.
You're better off just re-encoding to H.264/x264 anyway. Better hardware support, and it'll look better. HEVC only looks beats H.264/x264 at extremely LOW bitrates (which I would assume, or hope, you wouldn't bother using with a 720p file) or extremely HIGH resolution

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Let's Talk x2650