• 9(current)
Android Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use
(2016-09-29, 20:39)OlivierQC Wrote: yes it works , good work as usual Smile
Whew, thanks. Hoping to post another video tomorrow of HDMI-in and recording capabilities.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2016-09-29, 20:22)hdmkv Wrote: You don't believe me?! Laugh Wink

You did not show it on the wire ;(
What do you mean? Actually show my cat5e wires as proof?! My X9S is connected to ethernet switch, which is connected to my router, which my Synology NAS is also connected to. That's how I'm streaming wired, using cat5e cables.
My HT
@hdmkv: Have you timed the playback for the 400Mbps Jellyfish clip? On many devices, the clip will play smoothly, but it will take longer than 31 sec. Since the clip is full of slow moving jellies, it may sometimes be not that obvious that the clip is playing at a lower frame rate.
The 400Mbps Jellyfish clip, timed playback on X9S...

My HT
@hdmkv would it be an upgrade in 3D picture quality from pi to Zidoo ? ( once mvc mkv issues are solved )
Or is there no , to minimal difference?
Minimal as Pi's PQ is already excellent. As MVC MKV's are how I recall you've saved your 3D content, stick w/Pi for now.
My HT
@hdmkv what about comparison to the intel solution picture wise with the zidoo.
That's a tough one. It's very close, a toss up really. Bottom line is that PQ differences at this 'A' level is splitting hairs. Now, this is just my opinion, but if you were to tell me, out of Pi2/3, Q5/Q10 Pro, Intel MVC and X9S, I could only keep one of these players, which would I pick? ... leaning toward X9S at this point. Even though it relies on an external player, it 'feels' pretty seamless (more so than HiMedia).

More as to why? Intel MVC is Windows-based, and doesn't have that pure set-top box feel, even with an integrated Kodi solution (no external player). HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro still exhibits minor (but noticeable) microstutters w/3D ISO's, has that annoying left edge line (noticeable w/PJ's and zero-overscan displays), and their wrapper isn't as nice as X9S'. RPi2/3 is great, except for one glaring shortcoming: no HD audio bitstreaming, so no ATMOS and X.

PQ-wise, I personally think Intel's and Zidoo's PQ are top tier, specifically for 3D ISO's, and no microstutters, followed by Pi2/3, and HiMedia. But, all quite close. Thankfully, I don't have to pick just one, so keeping all 4 players (for a while at least) Smile.
My HT
thanks got burn already with x6 pro just dont want to waste money again but so far what i am hearing looks good.
I was super-skeptical about X9S for the same reason (remember how X6 was initially touted by Zidoo?), but X9S is a pleasant surprise from Zidoo/Realtek. Here's my review of X6 (gave it away to a friend after my last update there).

Let's just hope Zidoo supports X9S well (so far, so good from activity I'm seeing).
My HT
(2016-09-30, 01:10)hdmkv Wrote: That's a tough one. It's very close, a toss up really. Bottom line is that PQ differences at this 'A' level is splitting hairs. Now, this is just my opinion, but if you were to tell me, out of Pi2/3, Q5/Q10 Pro, Intel MVC and X9S, I could only keep one of these players, which would I pick? ... leaning toward X9S at this point. Even though it relies on an external player, it 'feels' pretty seamless (more so than HiMedia).

More as to why? Intel MVC is Windows-based, and doesn't have that pure set-top box feel, even with an integrated Kodi solution (no external player). HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro still exhibits minor (but noticeable) microstutters w/3D ISO's, has that annoying left edge line (noticeable w/PJ's and zero-overscan displays), and their wrapper isn't as nice as X9S'. RPi2/3 is great, except for one glaring shortcoming: no HD audio bitstreaming, so no ATMOS and X.

PQ-wise, I personally think Intel's and Zidoo's PQ are top tier, specifically for 3D ISO's, and no microstutters, followed by Pi2/3, and HiMedia. But, all quite close. Thankfully, I don't have to pick just one, so keeping all 4 players (for a while at least) Smile.

Like your honest opinion, always thought Realtek hard better picture quality base on my old M195 Realtek player,the Himedia Q10 Pro is great Media player but i think their Imprex engine video processor is causing some picture quality,
So the X9S is as close as the Intel when if come 3D playback, what about 4K HDR?

I am going to stick the Himedia and Intel for now, wait and see what Zapitti and if other manufactures release cheaper version.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
@hdmkv: Can the Q10 Pro play the 400Mbps Jellyfish clip too?
(2016-09-30, 02:09)boblo Wrote: @hdmkv: Can the Q10 Pro play the 400Mbps Jellyfish clip too?

Can play, but... not smooth
(2016-09-30, 01:29)movie78 Wrote: So the X9S... what about 4K HDR?
HiMedia has slight edge w/4K, for now, only because VP9 playback has minor judder in X9S. Rest of the 4K flavors play equally well between HiMedia, Shield and Zidoo.

Final part of review complete, the HDMI-in and recording functionality. See updated post #1.
My HT
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use8